What's new

Colors of Quartz

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure everyone that has quartz artifacts have white which is common. But what other colors do you find? It is alright to post white if you wish. I have heard of different colors. I have a lite yellow and red knife/ scraper and will show. Post some colors if you have them. 100_2061.webp
 
Upvote 0
We have all types but I just got an iPhone and don't have all my pix on it yet. I'll post what I got. Pink, blood red, clear, green, smokey, orange, and of course white. I'll take more pix tomorrow. The only color I don't think I have in a point is the green quartz. The 2cd one is pink but hard to tell in pic. Got lots of orange one just no pix.
 

Attachments

  • image-1187367073.webp
    image-1187367073.webp
    53.4 KB · Views: 150
  • image-989644455.webp
    image-989644455.webp
    87.7 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2700477007.webp
    image-2700477007.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image-4020213550.webp
    image-4020213550.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3517205038.webp
    image-3517205038.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image-3685018558.webp
    image-3685018558.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 160
bsit1361 said:
We have all types but I just got an iPhone and don't have all my pix on it yet. I'll post what I got. Pink, blood red, clear, green, smokey, orange, and of course white. I'll take more pix tomorrow. The only color I don't think I have in a point is the green quartz. The 2cd one is pink but hard to tell in pic. Got lots of orange one just no pix.

This is off topic but, did you get the iPhone 5? I have a jailbroken 4s and love it. They are still overrated !
 
I will get the iphone 5 when I trade in this winter. I like all apple products and Macs. I also like that quartz you are showing:occasion14:
 
Don't forget the purple color of amethyst...
 
100_2044.webp100_2045.webp100_2046.webp100_2050.webpHere are some more I have. Not yellow but different colors and so far all scrapers and knifes. Maybe some preforms mixed it.
 
Last edited:
Don't forget the purple color of amethyst...

Do you have any artifacts in it? I would like to see some if you do.
 
541.webp444.webphere is mine its mostly what i find its not much and the pic isnt that good sorry
 

Attachments

  • 443.webp
    443.webp
    161.2 KB · Views: 146
sorry you wanted colors my bad, i wish
 
Uh Rock, With that much quartz around and depending where you are, I would start looking for some quartz with those pretty GOLD colored streaks running through them. Just a thought.
 
Uh Rock, With that much quartz around and depending where you are, I would start looking for some quartz with those pretty GOLD colored streaks running through them. Just a thought.

Every state has different colors. But yes I am looking for gold on the quartz. Find a artifact and its a bonus.
 
100_2055.webp100_2054.webp100_2053.webp100_2052.webpOK I might be off for a week or so from the site so I will post some more now. I have hundreds of them. These are my best ones and found them all in the same spot. So I guess you could say they are a set. They are all 4 inches long and have secondary flaking on all sides. 1 has a reamer tip, 1 has the base ground down, 1 is just a knife, and 1 is a multipurpose tool and has a very odd shape. I never have seen one like it before. Found them all last year.
 
Maryland has a pretty amazing geologic history, with many eras represented within a relatively small area. I live within a zone called Upper Pelitic Schist, which is described as "Albite-chlorite- muscovite-quartz schist with sporadic thin beds of laminated micaceous quartzite."

Geologic Maps of Maryland: Montgomery County

The colors are highly variable and these veins of quartzite often have a very thin layer of silver or gold mica bonded to the surface, making the stones quite lovely in my view. The laminated characteristic would seem to make this ideal scraper material. Instead of the chunky irregularity of coarsely crystalline quartz, the laminated quartzite lays down in thin layers that exhibit very hard and sharp edges along easily worked planes. And there's often a curving undulation to the pieces, making them (ahem cough cough) comfortable in the hand.

Here's a few. BTW, I am not saying these are scrapers, just giving you a good view of the lamination.

laminate1.webplaminate2.webplaminate3.webplaminate4.webplaminate5.webp
 
Maryland has a pretty amazing geologic history, with many eras represented within a relatively small area. I live within a zone called Upper Pelitic Schist, which is described as "Albite-chlorite- muscovite-quartz schist with sporadic thin beds of laminated micaceous quartzite."

Geologic Maps of Maryland: Montgomery County

The colors are highly variable and these veins of quartzite often have a very thin layer of silver or gold mica bonded to the surface, making the stones quite lovely in my view. The laminated characteristic would seem to make this ideal scraper material. Instead of the chunky irregularity of coarsely crystalline quartz, the laminated quartzite lays down in thin layers that exhibit very hard and sharp edges along easily worked planes. And there's often a curving undulation to the pieces, making them (ahem cough cough) comfortable in the hand.

Here's a few. BTW, I am not saying these are scrapers, just giving you a good view of the lamination.

View attachment 681420View attachment 681421View attachment 681422View attachment 681423View attachment 681424

I find some rock like that also. It has copper in it here and can be different colors like purple, green and red. So far no artifacts made from it though. Thanks for showing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom