What's new

Compadre and ProPointer interference

foiled_again

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
86
Reaction score
59
Golden Thread
0
Location
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been trying to do a little grass (park/school) hunting with my altered Compadre (modified to a wader configuration with the circuit board in a pair of headphones) but am getting a lot of crosstalk/interference with the Compadre picking up noise from my Garrett ProPointer...to the point where I'd rather swing one of my other machines although otherwise the Compadre is the most fun to use, being essentially weightless in this configuration. I don't have this problem at all with my other machines (Fishers, F5 and CZ7a). I can't or won't give up using the ProPointer. I am wondering, is this typical of the Compadre or does it have something to do with the mod...maybe it lacks a shield? And does the ProPointer create interference with other models, Tesoro or otherwise?
 
I would say the trouble is with using the pinpointer as they are probably on the same freq. Sorta like having another detector to close to you while hunting. Either ditch the extra lil detector and use a screwdriver to pop the coins or change detectors. A screwdriver will save you time as it can be used as a probe to touch the coin and a plug won't have to be dug which takes time too. If the coin is deeper you can pass it by and sweep for an easier coin.
 
The propointer only causes interference when its in close proximity with any of my detectors coils.
I just make it a habit to set my coil at least 2 ft. away from the dig area when using the propointer. That way there is no crosstalk...
Also, make sure to turn off the propointer when not in use.
 
My pro pointer has no effect on my compadre....could it be something to do with your modifications? In order to have problems pro pointer has to be within about 14 inches of the coil on my Compadre.
 
I've been trying to do a little grass (park/school) hunting with my altered Compadre (modified to a wader configuration with the circuit board in a pair of headphones) but am getting a lot of crosstalk/interference with the Compadre picking up noise from my Garrett ProPointer...to the point where I'd rather swing one of my other machines although otherwise the Compadre is the most fun to use, being essentially weightless in this configuration. I don't have this problem at all with my other machines (Fishers, F5 and CZ7a). I can't or won't give up using the ProPointer. I am wondering, is this typical of the Compadre or does it have something to do with the mod...maybe it lacks a shield? And does the ProPointer create interference with other models, Tesoro or otherwise?
My t2se does not get along with the propointer at all even when it is off it will sound of from 3 or 4 feet with the propointer off. I can change freq and still have to lay detector arms length away.
 
When getting ready to retrieve a target, I set the detector coil well away from the target area and the pro pointer. Works fine that way with any detector I've use.
luvsdux
 
Did a little research and it turn out the Compadre and PPointer both operate at 12 kHz so there'd have to be a conflict. I guess no grass hunting unless I dig out my Harbor Freight pinpointer...oh well, that's not what I bought the Compadre for anyway (it's for lake hunting when we move to Texas, also good for tot lots and dry beach sand).
 
My PP interferes with my Compadre unless I turn the disc up high. I usually just lay the detector behind me when using the PP and then turn the PP off when done using it. Not a problem, but a little annoying.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom