Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavymetalnut took me to some of his sites. Alot of coppers have been pulled from these sites so I was very anxious to dig myself one. AFter 2 hrs of swinging and no good signals I was starting to get discouraged. BUt as soon as I start to lose hope I get a very nice solid quarter signal at 6-7 inches! Awesome....I dig my plug carefully thinking this was a for sure copper. I pull my plug out and I reach down and pull dirt out and there it was! A COMPLETE SHOE BUCKLE! OH MAN! I"m on cloud nine! I call Dave over to look at this thing, he's stunned ( He did not find one keeper...sorry dave) I must of stood there for another 10 minutes just soakin it all in. Finnaly I picked up my gear and started swinging again. After another half hr we decided to head to another site. On the way to another cellar hole I mentioned to Dave that I wanted to dig my first KG very badly. He told me about other coins that have been pulled from this site. King George, Vermont copper, Large Cents, Fugio. After an hour of swingin I finnaly hit another good signal. Copper 8+ inches! WOO! I dig down, check my hole...it's gone....ahhhh! Dig further and further and finnaly I found the signal again....YES! I swear this little KG was close to a foot deep! My little Prizm 3 hangs with the big dogs! Sorry about the unclear pic of the coin...and the hole in the center of it...hehe...I'm debating on whether or not I should use the peroxide treatment to it. It's definetely a KG but I can't seem to get a date out of the crust, KG is facing right and has a pointy nose. I'll update after I clean it.. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,343
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
You have been kicking some serious butt lately.
Congrats on your successful hunt.

HB
But getting my butt kicked due to the amount of hiking all this takes. Today I think I literally walked an easy 5 miles to find 2 buttons. These sites i've been going to, you really have to work for your targets. Frozen ground and very far from my jeep. Alot of downed trees at the sites, deep snow, cold. So even finding a single nice flat button with the shank still attached makes for a great day.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D Definitely see the pointy nose! :D

That buckle is awesome, S! :o Of course so's the coin, but WoW at that buckle! :icon_pirat:

Congrats on those terrific finds!

Nana :wink:

U

umrgolf

Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
CRUSADER said:
Coins/tokens with holes in the middle normally indicate its cancellation - which implies its a counterfeit.

True statement, I think this one is legit, but was at the point in its circulation life where perhaps the merchants were no longer accepting that as currency. I don't know of any mass production of Woods Hibernia's, if any, I will ask Dr Mossman who is currently doing a study on them and perhaps the most knowledgable individual on Woods coppers..

Don

I don't think that was a common practice in these parts because I believe many coppers we find had little to no value when lost, but very few have holes. They melted the quality metal coins they collected and I would guess out right destroyed everything else. Punching a hole, if anything, would just make more work.

Here they used to collect the discontinued coins by the barrel full and I've often thought.... imagine if they buried them, even just 1! :tongue3: We find a great variety at our sites so what they collected over the years would have been extremely interesting, and to find hundreds or thousands at once. Now there's a dream!

::) what were the lotto numbers again? :laughing9:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
leddel said:
great buckle sniffy i don't think even Dave has a complete one yet and you out number his copper totals already , keep it up and you might make him cry uncle . :laughing7: :laughing7:
Nope...Only Kirk and Kyle cry UNCLE. ;D You did great Sniffy. That shoe buckle is spectacular and the possible Rosa is icing on your February cake. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
leddel said:
great buckle sniffy i don't think even Dave has a complete one yet and you out number his copper totals already , keep it up and you might make him cry uncle . :laughing7: :laughing7:
Nope...Only Kirk and Kyle cry UNCLE. ;D You did great Sniffy. That shoe buckle is spectacular and the possible Rosa is icing on your February cake. :thumbsup:
Chris
It's not a Rosa, but at first I thought it was. As I cleaned it I could see some detail on the back, NIA in hibernia. Some of the harp. It's def. smaller and only measure close to 3/4's of an inch, so I believe it's def. a farthing.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Outstanding shoe buckle, Sniffy! The copper is the icing for the day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread