Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heavymetalnut took me to some of his sites. Alot of coppers have been pulled from these sites so I was very anxious to dig myself one. AFter 2 hrs of swinging and no good signals I was starting to get discouraged. BUt as soon as I start to lose hope I get a very nice solid quarter signal at 6-7 inches! Awesome....I dig my plug carefully thinking this was a for sure copper. I pull my plug out and I reach down and pull dirt out and there it was! A COMPLETE SHOE BUCKLE! OH MAN! I"m on cloud nine! I call Dave over to look at this thing, he's stunned ( He did not find one keeper...sorry dave) I must of stood there for another 10 minutes just soakin it all in. Finnaly I picked up my gear and started swinging again. After another half hr we decided to head to another site. On the way to another cellar hole I mentioned to Dave that I wanted to dig my first KG very badly. He told me about other coins that have been pulled from this site. King George, Vermont copper, Large Cents, Fugio. After an hour of swingin I finnaly hit another good signal. Copper 8+ inches! WOO! I dig down, check my hole...it's gone....ahhhh! Dig further and further and finnaly I found the signal again....YES! I swear this little KG was close to a foot deep! My little Prizm 3 hangs with the big dogs! Sorry about the unclear pic of the coin...and the hole in the center of it...hehe...I'm debating on whether or not I should use the peroxide treatment to it. It's definetely a KG but I can't seem to get a date out of the crust, KG is facing right and has a pointy nose. I'll update after I clean it.. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,343
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Complete shoe buckle and a KG

what can i say???? ya done did good today! :headbang: glad ya pulled some keepers at my sites.i got some from yours and it's all good! :thumbsup:
congrats on your first KG! :icon_thumleft:

U

umrgolf

That is one beautiful shoe buckle :hello2: youre sure thats a KG?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SNIFFY!!!! Looks like to me you found a ROSA AMERICANA or WOODS HIBERNIA!!!!!!!! Shoe buckle is awesome but the coin is better!!!!!!!!! We have to see the reverse. Congrats!!!!!! Hogge :headbang: :headbang: I would use care in cleaning. That green patina is telling me that it has some great detail underneath the crud. The only problem I see with peroxide is NOT to overheat it. Been there with IH's. Maybe some of the others can help........DON!!!!!!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic buckle!!! :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup: :occasion14:
Congrats on two super finds,
MM

S

seger98

Beautiful buckle, one of the finest I've seen here. As far as cleaning the copper, if it didn't have the hole in it I'd think twice about to harsh of cleaning, but I don't think you'd hurt it much with peroxide method. JMO.

Chris

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WOW! Now that's one nice buckle. One of the nicest dug seen. :headbang:

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds! I really like that buckle!

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
SNIFFY!!!! Looks like to me you found a ROSA AMERICANA or WOODS HIBERNIA!!!!!!!! Shoe buckle is awesome but the coin is better!!!!!!!!! We have to see the reverse. Congrats!!!!!! Hogge :headbang: :headbang: I would use care in cleaning. That green patina is telling me that it has some great detail underneath the crud. The only problem I see with peroxide is NOT to overheat it. Been there with IH's. Maybe some of the others can help........DON!!!!!!!!
I think this is a rosa americana! I'm very afraid to clean it. I've wiped away detail on coins 3 times now....and this is my oldest coin as of now.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a great looking shoe buckle, I like that rectangle type, usually find the more oval shaped ones. You got to clean the coin so you can enjoy what you have. If it is a Rosa, well, they usually are horrible since they are 25% ZINC composition, I have a very nice one, but my son has a rather corroded one. Woods Hibernia's usually are a tad better, mine is good on one side and bad on the other.

So, what makes you think it is a Rosa and not a Woods Hibernia? Photos please, diameter please, details details and details. Also , how comes a clear shot of the buckle and not the coin! :tongue3:

Don

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Congrats on a great looking shoe buckle, I like that rectangle type, usually find the more oval shaped ones. You got to clean the coin so you can enjoy what you have. If it is a Rosa, well, they usually are horrible since they are 25% ZINC composition, I have a very nice one, but my son has a rather corroded one. Woods Hibernia's usually are a tad better, mine is good on one side and bad on the other.

So, what makes you think it is a Rosa and not a Woods Hibernia? Photos please, diameter please, details details and details. Also , how comes a clear shot of the buckle and not the coin! :tongue3:

Don
My battery just started to die as I was taking photos of the coin. I believe it to be a rosa because I can make out a bit of flowering on the reverse. I will have better pics once I get a new battery tommorow. How should I clean this?

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Man oh man that is one nice shoe buckle, congrats on an awesome find :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy said:
Don in SJ said:

Don
My battery just started to die as I was taking photos of the coin. I believe it to be a rosa because I can make out a bit of flowering on the reverse. I will have better pics once I get a new battery tommorow. How should I clean this?

Well with the corrosion I see, it is iffy, but if you feel uncomfy with peroxide, then just try wet q-tips and see if you can get dirt on the q-tips and not detail coming off, depends how corroded under the patina the coin is, if solid, after doing that a quick peroxide should not hurt, but no hard rubbing with qtips or anything. You just want to remove dirt. So with me not seeing the coin, I recommend to try the slow way of qtips first and look for details to get it ID'd properly.

Always after cleaning them, soak in distilled water or at least water for a hour or so, dry thoroughly and coat if needed with wax or an oil if you wish.

My Rosa is an average of 26.3 mm in diameter, the Woods Hibernia is on average 1 mm smaller (25.4) in diameter, but heavier. So the Rosa I have weighs 70.7 grains and the Woods weighs a whopping 103.6 grains and is visiibly thicker than the Rosa, which even looks very thin.

Don

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Sniffy said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Well with the corrosion I see, it is iffy, but if you feel uncomfy with peroxide, then just try wet q-tips and see if you can get dirt on the q-tips and not detail coming off, depends how corroded under the patina the coin is, if solid, after doing that a quick peroxide should not hurt, but no hard rubbing with qtips or anything. You just want to remove dirt. So with me not seeing the coin, I recommend to try the slow way of qtips first and look for details to get it ID'd properly.

Always after cleaning them, soak in distilled water or at least water for a hour or so, dry thoroughly and coat if needed with wax or an oil if you wish.

My Rosa is an average of 26.3 mm in diameter, the Woods Hibernia is on average 1 mm smaller (25.4) in diameter, but heavier. So the Rosa I have weighs 70.7 grains and the Woods weighs a whopping 103.6 grains and is visiibly thicker than the Rosa, which even looks very thin.

Don
This coin is thin. How to measure it I don't know. I havent' any scales either. It's slightly larger than a half cent. Thanks for the help Don.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Re: Complete shoe buckle and a 1723 Hibernia Half Penny

Sweet buckle :thumbsup: That coin is very cool too congrats.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great Finds especially the buckle....

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

very nice!! look at my avatar thats a 1723 woods. willy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great day! ...and you need better pics of the coin.

It's very unlikely a peroxide soak would do anything to hurt it. The ones you have to watch is when all the detail is in the dirt and patina. If the detail is strong, then there's usually no issue with an hp soak.

I've dug many holes at old sites and never have been able to find a Colonial buckle like that. I think it's the plough that gets to them before I do. That green patina rocks!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

according to the redbook if it has a crown over rose on reverse it's a $115 coin.if no crown on rose it's a $900 coin!

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Great day! ...and you need better pics of the coin.

It's very unlikely a peroxide soak would do anything to hurt it. The ones you have to watch is when all the detail is in the dirt and patina. If the detail is strong, then there's usually no issue with an hp soak.

I've dug many holes at old sites and never have been able to find a Colonial buckle like that. I think it's the plough that gets to them before I do. That green patina rocks!
The battery in my camera crapped out just as I was taking photos. I was so pleased with the patina on this buckle, and it was so easy to clean...I merely ran it under hot water and rubbed off the crud with my fingernail. The green started shining through brilliantly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread