What's new

Completing collection books....

Silverbelle

Greenie
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
While I was going through my box of halves yesterday, I started to wonder if it is worth it to try to complete multiple collection books.

When my son and I started, we mainly planned to complete 1 book of each denomination (1 penny, 1 nickel etc)

Do any of you think there is any investment value for the future to have lots of books put together?

I'm one of those crazy people who think the dollar is gonna fall and that oneday, there may not even BE coins around if people start hoarding/melting for the value of the metals. :hello:

Maybe future collectors will want the filled books?

IDK.. maybe a dumb question.....
 
Upvote 0
Silverbelle said:
Do any of you think there is any investment value for the future to have lots of books put together?

Absolutely. Plus, it's fun putting them together. My opinion is go for it.
 
LJ said:
Silverbelle said:
Do any of you think there is any investment value for the future to have lots of books put together?

Absolutely. Plus, it's fun putting them together. My opinion is go for it.

Thanks girl! That will make it more fun for my son as well... my 9 yr old daughter now "wants part of the action" but she wants only silver.... looks like I may have created a "mini-silver bug"... :laughing9:

I think I'm gonna go try a couple of banks and see what I can get here in Slidell. I was a bit bummed at only 1 40% yesterday. I think I need to find some that locals have brought in.
 
Don't listen to LJ, she is just trying to get all your hunting money tied up in worthless clad. Play nice LJ haha. Seriousely people do put them together and ebay them but if your in the EOTWAWKI crowd stick with the silver and do the one book apiece for fun. HH Mark
 
I agree.....it will be good quality time for ya'll.

Silverbelle said:
LJ said:
Silverbelle said:
Do any of you think there is any investment value for the future to have lots of books put together?

Absolutely. Plus, it's fun putting them together. My opinion is go for it.

my 9 yr old daughter now "wants part of the action" but she wants only silver.... looks like I may have created a "mini-silver bug"... :laughing9:

Get her involved too....this hobby needs more ladies....lol. Can't blame her for wanting only silver though... :wink:.
 
Silver Stripe said:
Don't listen to LJ, she is just trying to get all your hunting money tied up in worthless clad. Play nice LJ haha.

Darn Mark....your sharp as a tack. Can't get anything by you I see!!! Don't you have some halves to seacrh....ha!!! J/K.
 
Got a Dansco 8166 - Kennedy Halves w/ proofs album yesterday - good stuff. Amazing how many variations of Kennedy's there are!
 
LJ said:
Silver Stripe said:
Don't listen to LJ, she is just trying to get all your hunting money tied up in worthless clad. Play nice LJ haha.

Darn Mark....your sharp as a tack. Can't get anything by you I see!!! Don't you have some halves to seacrh....ha!!! J/K.
You either gotta get up pretty early or stay up very late to slip past ME haha. I just remember when I started out if a box had too many keepers I had to borrow money to get the next box- that'll learn ya to be crafty. OK back to my boxes. HH Mark
 
If you complete a book of each denomination, if it's not silver, don't expect to make any money. You'll loose money if you go to sell, because you had to buy the book lol. But it's fun so I'd go for it. I recommend that you CRH untill you get a decent amount of silver, $250 or so. You can figure out how much you have at www.coinflation.com . Throw the silver on ebay and get money for it. Then take your kids to a local coin show or coin dealer and spend the money you made CRHing. This makes coin collecting free! That's what I do! Get educated on coin prices too. The first few times, expose them to varieties of coins, Indians, Barbers, Mercs, Wheaties, Walkers, Peace, Morgan, Seated, Bust, any of them. Let them get a feel for what they like. Then they can get a real collection that's old, will be a surefire investment, and that costs nothing! I do this myself and it's such a great system! Just be sure to be educated before buying anything. Subscribe to Coins magazine, which has prices (which aren't the greatest) but they do have LOTS of informational and interesting articles! Get a price guide like the grey sheet. It tells you what to buy coins for and what to sell coins for. Maybe also get a few books on coin grading and try to explain that to your kids, they're a little young so I'm not sure how that will work out. I myself am a teenager that has been doing this since March. I've made over $1000 doing this. The last coin show I went to I purchased several tougher date Indians, and an 1826 Bust Half (BEAUTIFUL COIN!), I've also been able to use the money to go to concerts like Aerosmith and ZZ Top (Which was immaculate!) :headbang: and AC/DC (Which was DIVINE!) :headbang: Trust me, soon you'll be hooked! :wink:
 
I hate Clad. Unless is the 1943 Penny or 1955 Penny DV

DW
 
I hate zinc pennies, but respect silver colored clad. It all adds up to gas money to make my next foray. It don't take many quarters to make several dollars if you find a good spot. I once found a spill of some kind and picked up over $15.00 in dimes and quarters next to a curb near a small park. Where it came from I haven't a clue. But zinc pennies are pieces of crappe'! Many won't even go through the counting machine and the stores don't want them cause they are hard to try to roll for the registers. Now if they start making them out of platinum ..... Oh well I can dream! Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom