Confirmed Solid Silver Colonial Shoe Buckle with Paste Stones - Amazing Relic!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE #2:

I noticed what looks like it might be a mint mark but can't get a good picture of it. I have exceeded the ability of my ipad and don't have my hi-res camera with me. Any chance someone might recognize what this tiny symbol is? See last picture.

UPDATE:

I have confirmed that this is in fact a solid silver colonial shoe buckle with paste stones. I had it checked out by a jeweler and they immediately knew it was silver but did an acid test just to confirm. I have added new pictures of it cleaned. I am seriously thinking about having it restored by an antique jeweler and have them replace the missing stones. I doubt I can find anyone to replace the tongue and chape but it would be awesome to have it complete again. I can't stop picking up this buckle and looking at it. My wife just shakes her head - me, I just smile.

I hit a colonial site today with Williedigit and his son William and the finds were sparse but what I did find was a home run in my book. "Willie" had just dug a colonial copper coin and I was just a jealous not having dug anything much. I made my way back to an iron patch that I had not noticed before and immediately got a solid 90 on my T2 so of course I was thinking it as a copper or better yet a colonial silver coin. Reached in the hole and under a root and pulled out a shoe buckle. Shoe buckles are one of my favorite relic find and they usually come out in fragments or mangled. So when I saw it was whole and then noticed the stones I got pretty excited.

When I got home and cleaned it up I wanted to be really careful because most old jewelry that I have found with stones in them the stones will fall out almost immediately after getting them out of the ground. All that I have done is use water and a soft toothbrush and it looks like the stones are really well set and the metal appears to be solid silver but tarnished from the sandy moist soil from this site. I imagine that lemon juice or electrolysis would remove the tarnish but I don't want to risk damaging it or losing more stones.

Here is some interesting information that I found on Paste Stone shoe buckles:

Georgian Paste Shoe Buckles - CandiceHern.com

Attachments

• IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3348.JPG
    IMG_3348.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 33

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That thing is beautiful. I'm crazy but I'd remove the stones gently clean the fram and stones then super glue stones back in. If it's silver it should be on the banner. You had to have some money to wear that buckle at that time

HH Jer

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a awesome buckle. I know its probably a long shot but if you went back to the hole with some type of sifter you could find the missing stones? They look big enough to have a shot at finding them! [emoji2]

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
That thing is beautiful. I'm crazy but I'd remove the stones gently clean the fram and stones then super glue stones back in. If it's silver it should be on the banner. You had to have some money to wear that buckle at that time

HH Jer

That's a awesome buckle. I know its probably a long shot but if you went back to the hole with some type of sifter you could find the missing stones? They look big enough to have a shot at finding them! [emoji2]

thanks for the comments. I am actually considering having it restored by an antique jeweler. It would be awesome if I could find someone to rebuild the chape and tongue. The missing stones were likely long gone before they buckle was lost. The empty holes were well packed with dirt and badly tarnished.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap screwy, that buckle is incredible...you weren't kidding about us digging similar sites, pulled this partial jeweled buckle as well...maybe find an intact one someday. Outstanding dig View attachment 1356416

Your buckle looks very similar to mine. I have found a lot of pieces of buckles and several whole buckles but never expected to find one as nice as this. I can't stop holding and looking at it.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A silver shoe buckle with paste stones is exceptionally rare. I keep coming back to look at the buckle. I'm voting banner on this one

Congrats again

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I have updated my original post with new pictures. The shoe buckle is in fact solid silver.

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorgeous silver shoe buckle!! Never had the good fortune to dig one of those - great job!

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorgeous silver shoe buckle!! Never had the good fortune to dig one of those - great job!

Thanks Bill! With all of your amazing colonial finds I'd take it that silver shoe buckles are not that common since you haven't gotten your coil over one yet.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER vote going in! That is deserving in my opinion. Great find buddy. Love to add one some day

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find and highly unusual shoe buckle. I've never seen one or even a fragment of one like that.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy:....WOW....Congrats

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...I am seriously thinking about having it restored by an antique jeweler and have them replace the missing stones. I doubt I can find anyone to replace the tongue and chape but it would be awesome to have it complete again....

Huge.. HUGE congrats on confirming its solid silver. I personally like it as is, but if you do go the restoration route, there are a few sites that sell reproduction shoe buckles for reenactors. With proper measurements you might be able to find a chape and tongue that would fit and have a jeweler cut a pin and install them. If you want it to be accurate to the period style, you'll really need to figure out the date of the frame to find the correct style chape for the period. The later Georgian chaps were boxier than the earlier chapes. Also, more than likely the chape and tongue were iron as well. However, if you just wanted to get some guts back in it, I have a feeling it wont be too hard to find a reproduction buckle you could harvest them from. Once again, incredible find man :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those new pics you added make this thing pop. Wow man, what a find.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Huge.. HUGE congrats on confirming its solid silver. I personally like it as is, but if you do go the restoration route, there are a few sites that sell reproduction shoe buckles for reenactors. With proper measurements you might be able to find a chape and tongue that would fit and have a jeweler cut a pin and install them. If you want it to be accurate to the period style, you'll really need to figure out the date of the frame to find the correct style chape for the period. The later Georgian chaps were boxier than the earlier chapes. Also, more than likely the chape and tongue were iron as well. However, if you just wanted to get some guts back in it, I have a feeling it wont be too hard to find a reproduction buckle you could harvest them from. Once again, incredible find man :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions on restoring the buckle. I'm going to find a good jeweler that can remove the stones, clean the settings and stone and reset them. I don't want it to be polished to look like new just cleaned up properly. I will be looking for a genuine period chape/tongue to have installed so that it is as close to original as possible. Of course I'll post pictures after it is all done - it just might be a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread