Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possum and I took a trip down to New Orleans at a Fort we’ve been hunting well a found a iron ball and really didn’t think much of it so I put it on WHAT IS IT?

Well guys TheCannonBallGuy was gracious enough to take his time to help me. First he told me to bring it outside and hit it with a hammer and get all that rust off of it because the numbers literally have to be exact so I did my best and gave him the measurements and weight. Well my electronic caliper’s batteries were going out, so my numbers where all screwed up, but he figured it out for me anyway. Here’s what he said.

“Truth1253 wrote:
> Ok I beat it with a hammer. 3.74 inches and 5.33 ounces.

The photo shows your de-encrusted iron ball from the old fort site is definitely NOT 3.74-inches in diameter. The photo of the caliper's LCD screen indicates the battery is going bad. Judging by the old "ruler" increments on the caliper, the ball appears to be a hair or two over 1.30-inches in diameter, maybe about 1.33-inches, which puts it "right in the ballpark" for a civil war era 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer cannon's Canister-ammo ball. The 1861 Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" precise-size-&-weight chart for Canister-ammo says your ball's digitally-measured weight of 5.33 ounces (which includes a teeny tad for the remaining rust-crust's weight) is also correct for being a cast-iron 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer Canister-ammo ball. The Manual says that size of Canister-ammo ball should weight .32 pound, which translates to 5.12-ounces. Add about two-tenths of an ounce for the remaining rust-dirt crust, and that;'s your ball's 5.33-ounces weight.

So, in my opinion, your find IS the one-out-of-a-hundred rusty iron balls that turns out to actually be a historical military cannon-ammo ball. Congrats! [emoji4]”

ITS THE REAL THING!!!!!

I found a genuine Confederate 24 Pounder Howitzer Canister Ball!!!!

The you so much to The Cannonballguy for having the knowledge and the time to confirm one one my dream finds. Thank you [emoji1317] IMG_1021.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Upvote 59

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations . Nice find and well done.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find Truth.Congrats

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! That's an amazing piece of American history!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cool. Congrats !! That's bad a** !!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice a new piece to display case

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot Damn Truth that is really cool! CBG is freakin awesome :icon_thumleft:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possum and I took a trip down to New Orleans at a Fort we’ve been hunting well a found a iron ball and really didn’t think much of it so I put it on WHAT IS IT?

Well guys TheCannonBallGuy was gracious enough to take his time to help me. First he told me to bring it outside and hit it with a hammer and get all that rust off of it because the numbers literally have to be exact so I did my best and gave him the measurements and weight. Well my electronic caliper’s batteries were going out, so my numbers where all screwed up, but he figured it out for me anyway. Here’s what he said.

“Truth1253 wrote:
> Ok I beat it with a hammer. 3.74 inches and 5.33 ounces.

The photo shows your de-encrusted iron ball from the old fort site is definitely NOT 3.74-inches in diameter. The photo of the caliper's LCD screen indicates the battery is going bad. Judging by the old "ruler" increments on the caliper, the ball appears to be a hair or two over 1.30-inches in diameter, maybe about 1.33-inches, which puts it "right in the ballpark" for a civil war era 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer cannon's Canister-ammo ball. The 1861 Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" precise-size-&-weight chart for Canister-ammo says your ball's digitally-measured weight of 5.33 ounces (which includes a teeny tad for the remaining rust-crust's weight) is also correct for being a cast-iron 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer Canister-ammo ball. The Manual says that size of Canister-ammo ball should weight .32 pound, which translates to 5.12-ounces. Add about two-tenths of an ounce for the remaining rust-dirt crust, and that;'s your ball's 5.33-ounces weight.

So, in my opinion, your find IS the one-out-of-a-hundred rusty iron balls that turns out to actually be a historical military cannon-ammo ball. Congrats! [emoji4]”

ITS THE REAL THING!!!!!

I found a genuine Confederate 24 Pounder Howitzer Canister Ball!!!!

The you so much to The Cannonballguy for having the knowledge and the time to confirm one one my dream finds. Thank you [emoji1317] View attachment 1650644 View attachment 1650645 View attachment 1650646

oh-lawd-have-mercy-will-you-lookat-that-memes-com-14025623.png
being-confused-smiley-emoticon.gif Seems like somebody else told ya it was the real deal... rolling.gif Congrats my brother!!! "D"

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! Now you have to find the gun it was fired from! Its a rule! Its a rule i just made up. But, i like it just the same. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save! Now you have to find the gun it was fired from! Its a rule! Its a rule i just made it up but i like it just the same. :occasion14:

11el8k.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate it guys! For all of you that have found many of these the “freaking out” rush is probably over, but I’m a coin shooter not much of a CW relic hunter only because I’ve never had the opportunity to be on a site that really had especially Confederate. I’ve lucked up and found some 3 ringers at a city park, but this is something very very special to me being from a Confederate fort. So thank you so much for congratulating and allowing me to share my euphoria.

P.S. I slept with it next to me on my nightstand on the coaster I took the picture on, and I woke up and heard my Queen in the kitchen, so I asked her to bring me some coffee. So she came in with it and said, “Here you go move your ball.” Lol

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
THAT IS AN AMAZING FIND!!

Congratulations T!

Kace

PS...Make sure your Queen doesn't throw away your ball...LOL!!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Woah, I don't see cannonballs found here often. Good job T and nicely done having the intuition to get it IDed. I often just throw things away if I don't know what they are...

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find, and being able to source it to a side is the icing on the cake!

Nicely done...

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find, congrats.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece of history. Congrats on the display piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread