What's new

Confused! ... "original fake" Spanish Coin...??

Magnum (using a) PI

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2016
Messages
72
Reaction score
216
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - so I found this "coin" with some relics that date the site 1700-1800.
and its 100% (modern) trash free.

So what I thought was a coin seems to be silver plated?
Would forgers have coated a copper coin with silver to fake it? I assume it IS copper given the green?

Thanks for any advice!


IMG_3619 - Copy.webp
ORIGINAL "AS FOUND"


IMGP1263.webp
AFTER SOME BASIC CLEANING


IMGP1265.webp

IMGP1266.webp

IMGP1267.webp
WHAT SEEMS TO BE SILVER COATING??


IMGP1270.webp
LEFT FOR A FEW DAYS - THIS HAPPENED?
 
Upvote 10
From the pictures that you posted, that coin is too far gone to make any kind of positive I.D.,
Why are you thinking "Spanish Coin? "
 
i have a 4 reale that is made from copper so yes there are counterfeit Spanish coins out there
 
To bad about the shape it's in. However, finds like these make you stop and ponder their meaning. They are a mystery and add to the fun!
 
No help here but congrats on your finds
 
There have been fakes ever since there have been coins. People would make fakes and coat them, they would shave gold and silver from legitimate coins, etc.
 
There have been fakes ever since there have been coins. People would make fakes and coat them, they would shave gold and silver from legitimate coins, etc.

Thanks! and I assume the "base" would be say, copper?
 
Confused! ... "original fake" Spanish Coin...??

There are all kinds of forgeries out there. I was detecting in England in October and found an1818 King George III sixpence silver-plated forgery. The previous day I found a 1816 KG III Silver sixpence, the real thing. Apparently there was counterfeiters for hundreds of years.

Counterfeit on the left. Genuine on the right

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480298402.666058.webp
 
Last edited:
There are all kinds of forgeries out there. I was detecting in England in October and found an1818 King George III sixpence silver-plated forgery. The previous day I found a 1816 KG III Silver sixpence, the real thing. Apparently there was counterfeiters for hundreds of years.

Counterfeit on the left. Genuine on the right

View attachment 1385914


great thanks!!!

where in the UK did you find that? great coins!
 
Yes, a contemporary cast counterfeit that was plated, and it was a very common practice... much more so than struck counterfeits because you only needed a mold and not a die, and could get away with a less quality/expensive metal.
 
Definitely a contemporary counterfeit. They did this a LOT.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom