Connections

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Posted two lead finds the other day. Thought they were the highlight of a quiet short session. Did find something else though. A barrel tap. These taps are fairly common finds and tend to date to the 19th Century (ultra modern, by English standards). The tap was deposited in a junk box when I got home. Decided to have a look at it this afternoon. Cleaned off most of the dirt encrusting it. I was stuck by the nice patina, and the chunkyness of the thing, certainly well made. Decided to do some research on the net. It could possibly be as early as 17th Century. The thing though that surprised me, was a picture of a 15th-16th Century copper barrel tap. I know for a fact. I have found one of these in the past. Thinking it was Victorian, I would probably have put it into a scrap copper bucket/ box. So the rare artifact presently resides in the garage, conservatory, loft or somewhere on the property. Just goes to show, there's always something new to learn.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6045.JPG
    IMG_6045.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6046.JPG
    IMG_6046.JPG
    765.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 2
Thats what good about the hobby, I still have plenty to learn.

And then some! How many times has CRU come up with something the experts haven't seen before!

Nice barrel tap congrats!
Goes back to " always know what it is before you toss it".

And then some! How many times has CRU come up with something the experts haven't seen before!

True act in haste, and repent at leisure :laughing7:

Funny I was just about to do an update on one of Dads finds this year.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back