What's new

Considering a 3rd machine

Auriemma

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2014
Messages
526
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sov XS and an AT Pro. Both serve me well. Honestly, I love the Sov even with it being heavy and no depth info.

I have been considering/upgrade getting a 3rd gently USED machine. The Sov GT, E-Trac, or Explorer SE Pro are my front runners. The GT because it is the slightly upgraded version of my XS, the E-trac because of its info and programmability (even though I have a Mac... I know, put WinXP on the backside), and the Explorer because it is a simpler version of the E-trac and is a little cheaper.

I hunt coins, relics, jewelry, in dirt, sand, and saltwater. I am not stuck on any brand. Budget: $600-800.
So which would you go with OR what other machine would you recommend?
 
Last edited:
My F75 has become my most used machine....with its 5 inch coil you can hunt even the trashiest of sites......just another machine to consider.
 
If you can find an E-TRAC within your budget, BUY IT! If not, save you loot til you can buy an E-TRAC.
Initially, I didn't think much of E-TRACs, til I had one in hand and spent a few hours w it. Simply wonderful.
I'm never opposed to additional detectors. I still want more. ;)
Do yourself a favor and at least spend an outting w an E-TRAC. No harm done if you don't like it. Still, try an E-TRAC.
Very good luck to you.
Peace
 
My choice would be an e-trac too. From what I have seen they are great detectors. Out of my price range though. I have seen them as low as $800 on Craigslist.
 
There's a few etracs for sale in the 700-800 range on another forum....You need to go (finds) It....If you cannot locate the adds,shoot me a message.
 
It depends on what you want it to do. The Minelabs are good coins and relic machines. The Fisher F75 goes deep. I have a nice used Explorer SE in the Tnet classifieds.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com
 
The f75 not only goes deep...I really think its a fast machine for seperation right?I haven't had a chance to try one.i used an Explorer SE..my 1st minelab..What a great machine.I put the newer coil type on the one I had.
 
Not sure bout an F75. Haven't used one ..yet.
But, I do have exp w its lil bro, the F70. Blazing fast. Deep too. Light as a feather.
Peace
 
I would get an E-trac, but they are hard to find used under $1,000. The Etrac is a great detector and I think it goes a little bit deeper than the CTX, but with my experience with the CTX, it is a little frustrating to use. The Etrac will get you ready if you ever upgrade to a CTX.
 
I have a Sov XS and an AT Pro. Both serve me well. Honestly, I love the Sov even with it being heavy and no depth info.

I have been considering/upgrade getting a 3rd gently USED machine. The Sov GT, E-Trac, or Explorer SE Pro are my front runners. The GT because it is the slightly upgraded version of my XS, the E-trac because of its info and programmability (even though I have a Mac... I know, put WinXP on the backside), and the Explorer because it is a simpler version of the E-trac and is a little cheaper.

I hunt coins, relics, jewelry, in dirt, sand, and saltwater. I am not stuck on any brand. Budget: $600-800.
So which would you go with OR what other machine would you recommend?
Personally to be honest I would give serious consideration to a Fors CoRe....
 
considering a 3rd machine. over the yrs I have had at least a dz machine. I still have 6, 3 for the water and 3 for land detecting. Been thinking about letting a couple of them go can only used 1 at a time.
 
Another endorsement for the F70.

It can be had for between 4 and 5 hundred, gently used... and it is super fast recovery, and very deep (even with the sensitivity down).
 
I have the F75 deep and fast now you can get the new upgrade put in the older 75's that should be a real beast :occasion14:
 
Well... Yesterday I got a good deal on a nice used E-Trac. It should arrive next week. If it doesn't suit me (or breaks my arm off), I'll have a hard look at the F75.

Thanks for all the advice! Now... where is my Koolaid?
 
Well done! I think you will be very happy.
Andy Sabisch's E-TRAC Handbook was extremely helpful to me. My E-TRAC was my first Minelab product. I usually detect using a modified version of his coin program and have recently had great success.
The "flute" tones initially disturbed me. Not true now after app 150hrs in the field. I love the small tone changes that once overwhelmed me.
Many E-TRAC users swear by "two tone ferrous". Be sure to give it a try.
Looking forward to your thoughts when you receive E-TRAC.
Congratulations!
Peace
 
I got the IM that my E-Trac was at the post office. Since my company is closed today, I called and had them hold it for pickup. Got home, assembled it and started playing. It's has a few scratches but overall is in great shape. It still has the screen protector on it. Since it's raining, field trials will have to wait. Time to start reading and learning.

My thanks go out to Richard at Backwoods Detectors on the great deal and quick delivery!
 
Last edited:
Personally to be honest I would give serious consideration to a Fors CoRe....

That's quite a statement from you TH, a Minelab guy. I remember your post on using the Fors the first time, certainly made me think about it too.
 
That's quite a statement from you TH, a Minelab guy. I remember your post on using the Fors the first time, certainly made me think about it too.
I was highly impressed with the Nokta Fors CoRe.
 
Choice of machine depends on what your objective is for that tool, where you plan to hunt and budget of course. In my case, first was the Minelab Safari; second was the Excalibur II and third was the XP Deus. I like them all for different reasons and uses.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom