Contact Period Copper Arrowhead?

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting out and detecting frequently but have been too lazy to post my finds. Today I found what might be a copper arrowhead, please tell me what you think. The specific area I was detecting on eastern Long Island, NY has both native and early colonial artifacts and was cohabited during the contact period. Walking distance away is the site of a former Native American encampment that the Dutch reported had over 50 wigwams engaged in wampum production. The find was an isolate nearly three inches deep in the ground. Not from a midden pile, debris field, nor near a cellar hole. The contact period didn't last long. Smallpox epidemics nearly destroyed the entire local Native population by 1700. But wampum was also a form of colonial currency for some time. The Dutch introduced steel drills which allowed for mass production, causing the market to collapse. Plus they brought in glass beads.

Attachments

• tres343.jpg
    tres343.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 215
  • tres344.jpg
    tres344.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting out and detecting frequently but have been too lazy to post my finds. Today I found what might be a copper arrowhead, please tell me what you think. The specific area I was detecting on eastern Long Island, NY has both native and early colonial artifacts and was cohabited during the contact period. Walking distance away is the site of a former Native American encampment that the Dutch reported had over 50 wigwams engaged in wampum production. The find was an isolate nearly three inches deep in the ground. Not from a midden pile, debris field, nor near a cellar hole. The contact period didn't last long. Smallpox epidemics nearly destroyed the entire local Native population by 1700. But wampum was also a form of colonial currency for some time. The Dutch introduced steel drills which allowed for mass production, causing the market to collapse. Plus they brought in glass beads.
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After more research I think I have found the story behind my copper arrowhead. Check out this Stout Standard's Q&A with Todd Hiltz published 4-7-2017. The point typology is a match. Doesn't mention exactly where he found his but he lives in CT and detects throughout NE. The tribes of New England regularly came to eastern Long Island to beat up on the local tribes and demand a wampum tribute for protection. The English inserted themselves into this struggle, helping the Long Island natives subdue the invaders, using the opportunity to get their foot in the door and create the first English settlement in NYS. A major wampum production center was nearby. Either it was obtained in trade, fired in conflict, or used to resupply a cross sound trip.

Attachments

• tres351.jpg
    tres351.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread