What's new

Conterfeit Dime?

Philmont_709n2

Full Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
161
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Today I got a box of dimes and saw there was a penny showing on one of the ends! And it fit in the roll perfectly. When I opened up the roll I found a penny the has apparently been milled down to the size of of a dime. Any Ideas? Think this was just a one time fun thing or a counterfeiting effort?
 

Attachments

  • 100_1801.webp
    100_1801.webp
    234.2 KB · Views: 656
  • 100_1802.webp
    100_1802.webp
    247.2 KB · Views: 596
  • 100_1804.webp
    100_1804.webp
    197 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0
One time fun thing. Can't be counterfeit since it is a real cent.
 
I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort to shave down a cent just to make 9 cents in a roll. Maybe someone was experimenting to see if it would take the place of a dime in a vending machine.
 
When I was a kid, and you could buy a soda for 10c, we would mill down pennies for the vending machine which would take them. We would wear the penny down on a sidewalk,which would take forever. I got one in a handroll a couple of months ago. It was a wheatie with uneven edges. Might have been one of mine,who knows.
 
Philmont_709n2 said:
Any Ideas? Think this was just a one time fun thing or a counterfeiting effort?
I thought you might have found what I got a few months ago. I have not taken then to a coin store yet but I am sure they are counterfit.
merc-1.webpmerc-2.webpmerc-3.webpmerc-4.webp
merc-5.webpmerc-6.webpmerc-7.webpmerc-8.webp
4 counterfits and 2 real mercs
 

Attachments

  • merc-1.webp
    merc-1.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 483
  • merc-2.webp
    merc-2.webp
    29 KB · Views: 482
  • merc-6.webp
    merc-6.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 456
  • merc-5.webp
    merc-5.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 462
  • merc-4.webp
    merc-4.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 441
  • merc-3.webp
    merc-3.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 457
  • merc-7.webp
    merc-7.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 465
  • merc-8.webp
    merc-8.webp
    12 KB · Views: 454
Wow! You can really tell the difference, once you look closely. That's an awful lot of work to go to for a dime, but once you had the template, I suppose you could hammer out tons of them. Wouldn't pay to use silver, either.
 
Mentone Grizz said:
Wouldn't pay to use silver, either.
I do not think they are silver. I found all 4 in a big batch of coins that had been hoarded in the 1970's. The hoarder worked for a big drugstore chain and was the one who balanced the cash register trays at the shift end. What a great job for a CRHer.
 
cyberdan said:
Philmont_709n2 said:
Any Ideas? Think this was just a one time fun thing or a counterfeiting effort?
I thought you might have found what I got a few months ago. I have not taken then to a coin store yet but I am sure they are counterfit.










4 counterfits and 2 real mercs

probably cast copies. I've seen a few of those over the years and kept the 1916D as a reference coin. It's pretty crude but also kinda neat.
 
Earlier this year I got several half dollars with the edges cut down. The coin machines would reject them so they got spent at McDonalds drive-ins.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom