Control Screen Issues on Minelab CTX 3030

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My CTX 3030 is about a year old, but has not been used a great deal. It is stored in a dark, cool room. It has only been submerged in water once, about 3 months ago.

Almost immediately after I did my first computer connected update (a month ago), an intermittent gray line appeared on the control screen--about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide, running from top to bottom. I don't know if the update process could have any bearing on the situation.

Last week, I was at the beach on a warm, but not hot day, and the gray line took on the appearance of a small, brown, burning spot, which grew in size over the next hour or two--it looked like the paper we burned as kids using a magnifying glass. All else is working normally. Since this affects only a small portion of the screen, I have just been ignoring the issue for the moment. However, I know that I need to call Minelab and see what they say.

The only other thing I can add, is that I have been using a black, nylon cover for the control box for most of a year. I can't imagine that this has created any heat issues, but I am open to any thoughts.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with the 3030 and what the outcome was. Luckily, with a 3-year warranty, I should not have any issues with Minelab. However, if there is anything that I should know beforehand, please let me know.

Upvote 0

JJohnson

Mar 14, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Explorer, XS, E-Trac, CTX-30/30
Garrett: Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had any problems with mine. I would send it out to Minelab ASAP. Good luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have is a bad LCD screen. A small hairline crack inside the screen allows the "ink" to bleed out. Mine did the same thing. I sent it in and got it back within 10 days. If you don't send it in, eventually it will continue to get worse.

Email support and Darrin Brown will take care of you.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I went out detecting today after about a an hou,r my CTX started to act up, the retrace started to build up and appeared to be burning up the screen in one spot and went from 12 fe line to about 32 fe and 5 co to about 13 co line. the screen felt hot in the spot so I turned CTX off, hours later the spot is still there. I called mine lab as well as emailed a photo of screen and was told it was a graphics problem with the LCD screen and to send the upper portion in. So i will be mailing it to them tomorow. The CTX will be 1 year old the end of July this year 2014. I haven't got but about 60-70 hours on it. and it has never be submerged yet. I sure hope this is not an issue with the LCD. Sure like the CTX so far.

Another.hole

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac, Nautilus, Quatro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gray Line in CTX 3030 Screen

I went out detecting today after about a an hou,r my CTX started to act up, the retrace started to build up and appeared to be burning up the screen in one spot and went from 12 fe line to about 32 fe and 5 co to about 13 co line. the screen felt hot in the spot so I turned CTX off, hours later the spot is still there. I called mine lab as well as emailed a photo of screen and was told it was a graphics problem with the LCD screen and to send the upper portion in. So i will be mailing it to them tomorrow. The CTX will be 1 year old the end of July this year 2014. I haven't got but about 60-70 hours on it. and it has never be submerged yet. I sure hope this is not an issue with the LCD. Sure like the CTX so far.

Gezzus this CTX 3030 has been in the back of the UPS truck more than its been in the field. 6 months ago the thing wont start completely dead screen. I send it in get t back used it once. I pull it out tonight to get it ready for a trip tomorrow and there is a damn gray stripe down the left side of the screen. I haven't put probably 20 hours on this unit since I bought it and it seems like its not well made considering the type of use it has had. It only goes out on dry days. never been exposed to excessive heat or left in a car. AC system in the house is always set for 74-80 degrees. Im so pissed to read this has happened to other people. This machine is not a cheap purchase and to have these problems is ridiculous.

I swear if this cost me money to repair I'm getting rid of both of my mine-lab units and not coming back. I never had this kind of problem with my Nautilus and that banged up box was dragged thru all kinds of abuse, not to mention the Nauty was bought in VERY used condition

CAM00164.jpg

I will update this post after speaking with Minelab and seeing how they are going to handle this. Is there a place that shows you the total hours on a unit?
I'm thinking with all the coils, the head phones and bag I probably have 3100.00 into it. So I'm looking at this unit like it has been a very expensive unit so far. This CTX 3030 has cost me about 150.00 an hour to use it and that doesn't include my time to run it to UPS for drop off and pick up. I will say Minelab was very polite the last time it went in but hey here I am with another issue dealing with the head unit. All the politeness in the world shouldn't cost me 3100.00 for a product that should be built for use, not sitting in the corner of a closet, in a case I might add.

06102014 Update: Spoke with Minelab yesterday. They were very polite, and although I should be ferrous that I have this much money into something that has so little use. Minelab has been polite and easy to reach for service. Unit was shipped today to service center. Will update once I find out more. I am concerned about this unit once it is out of warranty,

07102014 Update: I received the CTX 3030 back today. It appears they put a new unit on the stick. I would like to say thank you to Nadia for her constant politeness even when I was less than happy to be facing this issue. John for his work on the unit. I’m anxious to get out and try it out. Hopefully this weekend.

Sincerely,

Scot Cross

Last edited:

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
Received my CTX 3030 back from minelab repair on Monday 06/23/14 they received it in 06/03/14 graphics board GUI was replaced due to bad LCD screen. Works like it used to had to enter all my programs back.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably 1200-$1500 I would bet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This fault is now so common ,it's obviously a design fault ,needs to be a free fix or recall .

Thread is 2.5 years old...

According to the repair center the cost is between $150 to $335 for parts depending on if it is just the LCD or a whole LCD assembly that needs to be replace... labor is about $75

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This fault is now so common ,it's obviously a design fault ,needs to be a free fix or recall .

Oh I agree with you but it's the hottest selling machine made. I simply choose to use a more ruggedly designed water machine like the Excalibur so I am never worried about what number a target is, leaks, scratches, bumps, bruises etc. the CTX is an amazing machine for land, wet sand and light wading but submerging it over and over in saltwater will cause it problems sooner than later. I also scuba dive and would never take the CTX diving.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ctx repair

Thanks that's great to read that repairs are within affordable limits. My one has just developed a vertical line on the right hand side at about a half inch in as well.
Odd that all these lines seem to be on the far right of the screen:icon_scratch: . Maybe it is coincidental.

Our local New Zealand forum site has a second hand ctx 3030 with exactly the same screen issue (on the right hand side as well. ) I was thinking of helping my son buy it, ( he pays two thirds I pay one third of the price) if it was repairable .. that would be a good detector for him.
They want $1850 .. Is that too much for a year old device I wonder with a faulty screen.
I like my Ctx but i'm not digging my screen fault haha.
Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a year old it is under warranty, and that is a little high but to be honest I don't know the exchange rate at the moment with out looking it up and I am lazy at the moment so it could be a good deal.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sending mine in today. 3 years and 2 months. I was hoping that since it seems to to so common Minelab would fix it free (I had heard 2nd hand that this was the case) guess not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread