Cool Find Today (at least I thought so)

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
Went out to my mom and dads store today and just happened to have my old explorer in the truck ;D
Got mom to let me dig at their home which is 110 years young.
I dug a few clad coins and had alot of iron hits.
Came upon a weird nickel iron hit at about 6 inches deep, dug down through the muck and found a chunk of iron,
I about tossed it in my pouch and went to rescan the hole and nothing there.
Picked up the chunk of iron and this is what I found :help:
Anyone got a clue on what it could be?? it is the same size as a nickel and i.d.ed as a nickel too.
It has what looks to be a design around the edge on one side with a letter in the center.
The other side best I can tell has a sticht type pattern and might have some letters in the center.
Regardless I am tickled at finding it.
HH Ray :hello:

Attachments

• DSC06436 004.jpg
    DSC06436 004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC06437 005.jpg
    DSC06437 005.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC06438 006.jpg
    DSC06438 006.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC06439 007.jpg
    DSC06439 007.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC06441 009.jpg
    DSC06441 009.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC06442 010.jpg
    DSC06442 010.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 632
Upvote 0
I would go with a medalion aswell. Not a us coin if what I am seeing is correct. Neat find at the very least.

I'm thinking medalion also. The question here is, why is it encased in iron? :icon_scratch:

It almost looks like a bird talon holding the token/coin/medalion thing. If so, the piece is clearly two different metals. Cool piece though!

TG

The token/medllion clearly has reeding or an ivy design going around the outside of one side, in the third photo you can see this well. But now that I look at it more closely, there's no hole in the coin, so I think my necklace idea is out the window.

guest said:
slag from something? burning trash can get up to the point to melt iron and make steel. heck, a lighter can.

tcs
I have cleaned off some of the iron and I'm thinking some type of broach. It has hook type things on the
1 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions if you look at first picture you can almost see what I'm talking about.
I have it soaking now and will post another picture of what I'm talking about later if anyone is interested.
I still think it is cool ;D
HH Ray
also if it is then the position of the letter would be correct in relation with the hook type things.

homefires said:
Ok, This is what I see!
and on the 7 o'clock side is the same thing, actually there are 2 little hooks on each location.
HH Ray

It's lead so for lack of what I feel would be a good guess I'd say a lead seal. I've just never seen one stuck in iron like that. Interesting find.

May have been a double level metal of some sort?

I've see metals and medallions with that texture on the back side.

i see some kind of engraving. so it might of been a friend ship medalian and the friends got bad and the one though there medalian in the fire? :dontknow:

old banks used to be made out of iron. I think somebody got a foreign coin jammed in the mechanism and ended up breaking it trying to get it out. mechanical banks were also entertaining to young folks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back