Cool Place Names

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I was going over my list of places to hunt (if spring ever gets here) and chuckled to myself about some of the places names.
On my list to do... or places Ive done :

1. old log house at 'Leather Cracker'
2. RR station near 'Shy Beaver'
3. steampump dam at 'Scratchtown'
4. uncle Bucks farm at 'Sheepskin Flats'
5. Deans yard and LL field on 'Hogback'
6. old foundations at 'Aitch'
7. swimming hole at 'Paradise'

Before they built Raystown dam we always 'went thru Aitch to get to Paradise'.... now we have to go around

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round here, we have some official names that are unique.

"Hell Hole"
"Chicken Creek"
"Dead Indian"
"Rattlesnake Ridge"
"Muddy Mtn"
"Hogsback"
"Boars Tusk"
"Virgin Hill"
"Oyster Ridge" <---- We're 2000 miles from any ocean

Those are some of the sites I go to for work all the time. There are other less PC sites, but we'll just keep those off the forum.

WM

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Georgia ------ 5 Forks Tricken Rd------------------------- Beaver Ruin Road

5 Forks Tricken Road ----- Was a junction of 5 roads during the WAR OF NORTHERN AGRESSION The locals at the junction turned the signs around daily to confuse the Northern Troops , Hence the name 5 forks Tricken Road

Beaver Ruin Road --- Guess that explains itself

There is also a town named CUMMING

Last edited:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
We travel most of the year, so strange place names do catch us by surprise sometimes.

Coonpath Rd (near Lancaster, OH)
Purgatory Rd (near Canyon Lake, TX)
Toad Suck, AR
Flytown (near Columbus, OH)
Cut and Shoot, TX

The list would be larger if my memory was better. <lol>

M

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small town I grew up in had a hill called "rip", after most of my childhood calling it that and not knowing what it meant, I asked an old timer.

He said years ago a team of horses ripped their gut trying to pull an over loaded wagon up the hill. It was "rip-gut hill", then got shortened to "rip".

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold country of California had some really colorful names, lonesome men far from any females if you know what I mean, but as far back as the 60's the Forest Service went through the country and cleaned everything up into PC names and removed a lot of history off the maps. There are still names that give a person an idea of the past, Roaring Camp, Rough and Ready, Nellies N -- oops. There is a meadow in the high country above Bass Lake, with a large granite boulder shaped just like the part of a horse that makes him a man, and of course the name of the meadow was "Jackass Balls," but I'm sure that name has been changed by the Forest Service and not on the maps now.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about Lick skillet, VA, near Tazewell. TTC

Last edited:

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanderoos,Wi.

Spread Eagle ,Wi.

Gays Mills,Wi.

Embarrass,wi.

Spooner,Wi

Ubet,Wi

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Climax, Sask.

Ghoultown, Sask.

Beaver Flat, Sask.

Urine, Sask.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Big Bottom State Memorial in Ohio, I took a picture of my wife by the sign, and when she turned around I snapped another one.
Plan on putting it in the paper with birthday wishes one of these years.....:laughing7:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a Big Bottom State Memorial in Ohio, I took a picture of my wife by the sign, and when she turned around I snapped another one.
Plan on putting it in the paper with birthday wishes one of these years.....:laughing7:

Same paper where your obituary will be? <lol>

M

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a town here in Fl. thats named "Two eggs"...real town name. There is a town in Pa. named "Intercourse"...right in the middle of Amish country.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a Road (Drive) called Shinarump, near Kingman, AZ

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, Ca. :thumbsup: Pig Turd Alley, in the Motherlode Deadman Creek Eastern Sierra Ca. I pass widowmaker road twice a day.At the top of my daily 9% grade.

66hotel

Mar 15, 2013
west centrsl,ms
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, garrett ace 150,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Mississippi we have; Red Lick, SoSo, Whynot, It, Chunky, Ball Ground, Alligator, Midnight, Hot Coffee, D'Lo, and Ecru.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have detected in Hell, MI and drove thru Climax one time. Have detected many times in Bad Axe, MI

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some names here for places that if your not in my family , your probaly noy going to know where we are talking about. (1) Rattlesnake Ridge -never saw one there (2) The Jews Place-actually owned by an irish family for 150 years (3)Whiskey Still Holler-our families place..lol (4) Dance Hall Hill-not a single trace of anything for 6 miles (5) and my favorite-Peters Cutoff

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, Ca. :thumbsup: Pig Turd Alley, in the Motherlode Deadman Creek Eastern Sierra Ca. I pass widowmaker road twice a day.At the top of my daily 9% grade.
Pville, you missed Drytown (but I don't know if that meant alcohol or the dry creekbed nearby). TTC

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going over my list of places to hunt (if spring ever gets here) and chuckled to myself about some of the places names.
On my list to do... or places Ive done :

1. old log house at 'Leather Cracker'
2. RR station near 'Shy Beaver'
3. steampump dam at 'Scratchtown'
4. uncle Bucks farm at 'Sheepskin Flats'
5. Deans yard and LL field on 'Hogback'
6. old foundations at 'Aitch'
7. swimming hole at 'Paradise'

Before they built Raystown dam we always 'went thru Aitch to get to Paradise'.... now we have to go around

what is this American diggers or sum-then

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread