What's new

Copper/Brass whatsit

Kieth-Tx

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
605
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Wednesday...a buddy says it's a military tent stake. Me....I have no idea...can't find a tent stake like it though posted anywhere. The lead item beside it looks like someone took the term "bite the bullet" literally. This site has seen military occupancy during the Civil War and during a catastrophy in 1919 it had troops stationed there also.
 

Attachments

  • 1-22-10 003.webp
    1-22-10 003.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 1-22-10 004.webp
    1-22-10 004.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 441
It's a rope adjuster for a tent. The rope went in the tube like end and out the hole in the curved and was knotted when pulled tight the adjuster would grip into the rope to keep it from slipping. They started using these late in the civil war. Come are dug in civil war camps but I beleive most are Indian war period. I know of no way to tell though except the site it was dug.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
It's a rope adjuster for a tent. The rope went in the tube like end and out the hole in the curved and was knotted when pulled tight the adjuster would grip into the rope to keep it from slipping. They started using these late in the civil war. Come are dug in civil war camps but I beleive most are Indian war period. I know of no way to tell though except the site it was dug.
Beat me to it . Good id . :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
There were four companies of the Eight Texas Infantry stationed there. I have found 3 of their buttons and lots of minnies...but we're talking an area about 4-5 miles long.
 
Upvote 0
A ferule hog may have chewed on that bullet.
 

Attachments

  • tent slips.webp
    tent slips.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 596
  • tent slips.webp
    tent slips.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0
Wow that's cool. The only Texas relic I ever dug is the buckle. It was completely balled up when I dug it. I hope you all get some more good relics out of there.
 
Upvote 0
Vayank54....Thanks for identifying it. I WISH I could find a buckle...in ANY condition!! Congrats.

Bigcypresshunter...never thought about a hog chewing it...hmmm. Your pic was perfect...took a dimension on it...turns out is 4" long which makes it a #2! Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the quick response and accurate analysis!
 
Upvote 0
Kieth-Tx said:
Bigcypresshunter...never thought about a hog chewing it...hmmm. Your pic was perfect...took a dimension on it...turns out is 4" long which makes it a #2! Thanks.
We discussed biting the bullet on another post. Ive been here so long I remember all the old posts. I learn a few things as well. Someone said the hogs ate the bodies on the battlefield. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,277026.0.html
 
Upvote 0
Hogs and squirrels will both chew bullets. A friend of mine had hogs in the '70's and they chewed bullets they turned up in the mud. Why I don't know. Someone said it was the saltpeter used in the gun powder but I think over the years that would have deteriorated. I have seen trees with roundballs and bullets all around the bases where squirrels had been chewing on them. I don't see this much anymore as there are not as many bullets to be found.
 
Upvote 0
Heres the patent.
 

Attachments

  • tent slip patent.webp
    tent slip patent.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
That is not EVEN had I thought that thing was used Bigcypresshunter...thanks for the pic!
 
Upvote 0
Bigcypresshunter, thank you very much for the info, and especially the Patent. It is rock-solid proof that this particular form of tent-rope adjuster is strictly postwar - meaning, Indian Wars era and later. A friend of mine has long suspected that's the case, because he'd examined many-many civil war photos showing US & CS military tents, but none of them showed this device. I will send your info to him. Again, thanks!
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Bigcypresshunter, thank you very much for the info, and especially the Patent. It is rock-solid proof that this particular form of tent-rope adjuster is strictly postwar - meaning, Indian Wars era and later. A friend of mine has long suspected that's the case, because he'd examined many-many civil war photos showing US & CS military tents, but none of them showed this device. I will send your info to him. Again, thanks!
Some members have even found them with the patent dates on them but I dont have a picture. http://www.google.com/patents?id=d0VyAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false
 
Upvote 0
I have found several of theses... all have been chunked into my brass scrap pile... I always wonder exactly what they were... I knew it was some kind of rope tightener... now I know thanks for sharing!


Chukers
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom