What's new

Copper Cents getting rare in change now.

PullTabPete

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
836
Reaction score
938
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that they are phasing out pennies (cents).,I have definitely noticed at places that are still giving out pennies instead of rounding that they are almost all zincolns.
Not that I really have a reason too, but I have started separating out coppers like I have been doing with wheats for the last 50 years.

I guess now when I go detecting getting a pre 82 memorial will be akin to digging a wheat penny.
 
Yep... people are hunting them and saving em back.
After all ... the lowly penny has always been cool in many peoples book...
including mine.

Copper ones hold up better than the stinkins.
 
Pre 83, but, yes. Believe it or not there's still take a penny, leave a penny at many retail stores. I have a friend that has been pulling coppers out of them for years and still does today.
 
Pre 83, but, yes. Believe it or not there's still take a penny, leave a penny at many retail stores. I have a friend that has been pulling coppers out of them for years and still does today.
Actually only some 82's are copper... gotta weigh em... that was transition year.
And dont forget to weigh your 83's for that mega rare copper.
 
Actually only some 82's are copper... gotta weigh em... that was transition year.
And dont forget to weigh your 83's for that mega rare copper.
I found that the copper pennies have a different sound than the zincs do when dropped on a hard surface, the zincs have a dull sound in comparison.
 
Pre 1982 are worth 3.8437 cents each.
Illegal to melt in the 🇺🇸 but other places like China aren't too concerned.
That may change in the future... now that they are being fazed out.
You can actually melt some or make jewelry out of them...
or deface them for educational purposes only.
You just cannot do it for profits.
 
That may change in the future... now that they are being fazed out.
You can actually melt some or make jewelry out of them...
or deface them for educational purposes only.
You just cannot do it for profits.
I remember a container sitting at the dock of the broker. They were unloading barrels of coinage from Cuba. It was kind of neat seeing a 4x4x4ft gaylord full of money.
 
Well maybe one might consider buying pre 82s online from those who are selling them by the pound now. I would think as they become more scarce in circulation the desire to hoard them may become greater.
 
Well maybe one might consider buying pre 82s online from those who are selling them by the pound now. I would think as they become more scarce in circulation the desire to hoard them may become greater.
Have you looked recently a how much hey are askin ? ? ?

Holy crap you should see how much 2025's are going for.

Go look on Ebay. heh
 
Last edited:
Have you looked recently a how much hey are askin ? ? ?

Holy crap you should see how much 2025's are going for.

Go look on Ebay. heh
Well they do take the time at sorting them out. That's gotta be worth something. I'm not to excited about any 2025 pennies. But, ya never know.
 
Last edited:
Now that they are phasing out pennies (cents).,I have definitely noticed at places that are still giving out pennies instead of rounding that they are almost all zincolns.
Not that I really have a reason too, but I have started separating out coppers like I have been doing with wheats for the last 50 years.

I guess now when I go detecting getting a pre 82 memorial will be akin to digging a wheat penny.
Yet to encounter a business rounding up prices except for fuel stations and that has been going on for decades
 
My local stores are now rounding up when they give you your change. For example, if they owe me 32 cents in change, they give me 35 cents. I've also been peeking at some of the registers and none of them had any pennies in their tills. Now sure how they balance out their registers at the end of the day, though.
 
Pre 1982 are worth 3.8437 cents each.
Illegal to melt in the 🇺🇸 but other places like China aren't too concerned.
I have some antique casted solid silver Chinese spoons that I suspect were made from some of the 90% coinage accumulated during the global silver trade that was going on during the 16th to 19th centuries. Who knows maybe one day Walmart will get special terms with all the Chinese stuff they purchase and peddle by paying with all the pounds of pre 82 Lincoln pennies they've accumulated. 😁
 
My local stores are now rounding up when they give you your change. For example, if they owe me 32 cents in change, they give me 35 cents. I've also been peeking at some of the registers and none of them had any pennies in their tills. Now sure how they balance out their registers at the end of the day, though.
It's been 13 years now that the mint has stopped distributing pennies.
On debt, credit cards we're charged to the actual cent.
Paying cash for gas and the pump is $1.02 it's rounded down to $1.00
$1.03 it's rounded up to $1.05
It's a gain/loss for every cash transaction, but at the end of the day it really isn't a lot of one way or other.
Nobody argues over a couple of cents because it's lost on one, gained on another.
Over a period of time the loss and the gains are just a fact of life, and there's countless other ways to gain it or loose it more than one's own sense.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom