What's new

Copper Inadian arrowhead?

MCollett

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2013
Messages
169
Reaction score
648
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Equinox 800
I was cleaning my finds today and this was a late find that I thought was junk. Once I cleaned it, I realized I possibly had a rare find in Alabama. Could this be a Copper Arrowhead? I also noticed that I fricken dinged it with the shovel and was hoping it was not an arrowhead. The last photo is the inside. It was packed with pine needles. Found it in the middle of a field about a foot down.
 

Attachments

  • 20251130_163254.webp
    20251130_163254.webp
    282.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20251130_164643.webp
    20251130_164643.webp
    290 KB · Views: 170
  • 20251130_163413.webp
    20251130_163413.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 170
Upvote 23
There's no doubt that is a copper arrowhead. I have found several at a late 1700's - early 1800's village site in Southwest Georgia. I have also heard collectors call them "tinklers" when the tip doesn't form a sharp point. I was told that a "tinkler" was used on their clothing and would chime with one another while dancing. - I don't know if this is correct or not. I'll let you research that. Normally, where I find one, there will be several more in the immediate area. If there is scraps of iron in the area, you may be on one of their homesites. It's worth going back to look because when these copper items were in use, the natives were trading for other detectable items with the settlers such as axes, silver earrings, and firearms. I have seen Spanish coins that have been drilled and presumably used as jewelry come from these type sites.- Good luck!!
 
There's no doubt that is a copper arrowhead. I have found several at a late 1700's - early 1800's village site in Southwest Georgia. I have also heard collectors call them "tinklers" when the tip doesn't form a sharp point. I was told that a "tinkler" was used on their clothing and would chime with one another while dancing. - I don't know if this is correct or not. I'll let you research that. Normally, where I find one, there will be several more in the immediate area. If there is scraps of iron in the area, you may be on one of their homesites. It's worth going back to look because when these copper items were in use, the natives were trading for other detectable items with the settlers such as axes, silver earrings, and firearms. I have seen Spanish coins that have been drilled and presumably used as jewelry come from these type sites.- Good luck!!
Yeah, it was in the middle of a field that we have found several buttons and copper pieces. I am going back this weekend. Deep dive that area. Thanks for the response! I read about the tinker on another site. Thats is so cool. I hate I dinged it with the shovel.
 
There's no doubt that is a copper arrowhead. I have found several at a late 1700's - early 1800's village site in Southwest Georgia. I have also heard collectors call them "tinklers" when the tip doesn't form a sharp point. I was told that a "tinkler" was used on their clothing and would chime with one another while dancing. - I don't know if this is correct or not. I'll let you research that. Normally, where I find one, there will be several more in the immediate area. If there is scraps of iron in the area, you may be on one of their homesites. It's worth going back to look because when these copper items were in use, the natives were trading for other detectable items with the settlers such as axes, silver earrings, and firearms. I have seen Spanish coins that have been drilled and presumably used as jewelry come from these type sites.- Good luck!!
I would say it's a tickler also by the shape.
 
Very unique find. Any idea as to its age?
I have seen some examples of this type posted on the museum website in Ohio that date to 1000 BC or earlier. There were Indian settlements close by along the Tallapoosa River that date back to the Mississippian Period (800-1500AD). These sites were resettled by the Upper Creek Indians up until around 1830. The Tallapoosa floods often and probably moved a lot of artifacts to this field. My guess on the age would be between mid 1600s to the late 1700s. But who knows, it could be a lot older.
 
I was cleaning my finds today and this was a late find that I thought was junk. Once I cleaned it, I realized I possibly had a rare find in Alabama. Could this be a Copper Arrowhead? I also noticed that I fricken dinged it with the shovel and was hoping it was not an arrowhead. The last photo is the inside. It was packed with pine needles. Found it in the middle of a field about a foot down.
It certainly seems to be. That's exactly how they were rolled and formed. Mississippian Cultures probably. Nice find.
 
either way it is an artifact, beyond a doubt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom