What's new

Copper plated something w/ lead in the back maybe?

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some writing on this. Its on the left side where it arch's. There is some I believe copper shinning through. I think the writing is backwards so maybe some sort of imprint? I think it has port in the middle of the words. Maybe a part of a word.
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 110.webp
    what are they relics 110.webp
    82.8 KB · Views: 363
  • what are they relics 095.webp
    what are they relics 095.webp
    61 KB · Views: 359
  • what are they relics 097.webp
    what are they relics 097.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 359
  • what are they relics 096.webp
    what are they relics 096.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 360
  • what are they relics 102.webp
    what are they relics 102.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 359
  • what are they relics 109.webp
    what are they relics 109.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 359
Maybe a printing plate of a tire manufacturer's advertisement.
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Maybe a printing plate of a tire manufacturer's advertisement.
I also think its a printing plate for a tire ad. I tried to match the tread.


If you can clean up the letters, maybe we can google a match.
 

Attachments

  • goodyear tire.webp
    goodyear tire.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
Heres an example on eBay of a lead printing plate with an explanation of the technology.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280399790232

THE HISTORY BEHIND THE TECHNOLOGY: Prior to the digital age, books, posters, cigarette packs, tickets, forms, newspapers, and other types of printed paper were produced on a printing press. Movable type, wooden and metal printing blocks (also known as a letterpress cut or printing dies), and metal printing plates were set in a frame (known as a chase) and ink was rolled over the surface of the metal image with a roller (also known as a brayer) before the paper was pressed into the inked surface. This process was known as relief printing which included woodcut, relief etching, linocut, linotype, and metal cut. Larger volumes of printing were done with lead, zinc, or copper plates, (such as the lead one for sale here).
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Maybe a printing plate of a tire manufacturer's advertisement.

bingo :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is what I think I can make out. (_ _ _ PO _ TA _ E RUBBER) I am not sure but I think these are the letters. I tried to get a pencil rubbing but had no luck. I am pretty certain the last word is rubber. There is also some really small writing under the other words but I can't make it out.
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
This is what I think I can make out. (_ _ _ PO _ TA _ E RUBBER) I am not sure but I think these are the letters. I tried to get a pencil rubbing but had no luck. I am pretty certain the last word is rubber. There is also some really small writing under the other words but I can't make it out.

Could it be Bridgestone?


___PO__TA_E RUBBER
BRIDGESTONE
 
Upvote 0
I thought so to, but it don't look like it to me.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom