What's new

Copper ring things that always turn up at old sites...

staydetuned

Full Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
136
Golden Thread
1
Location
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
and always sound REALLY good. These always seem to turn up at old sites where, if they were a coin that sounded as good as they did, I would be really happy a bit more often. So, in the name of vengeance, I want to finally find out what the purpose of these tricksters is. Does anybody know?
 

Attachments

  • Rings01.webp
    Rings01.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,534
I believe those are templar toll tokens for pilgrims going west in search of Dorset thread buttons and sparkplug compression rings. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
cabincreeker said:
I believe those are templar toll tokens for pilgrims going west in search of Dorset thread buttons and sparkplug compression rings. :laughing7:
:laughing9: don't you start this a serious forum, I have you know :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
Timekiller said:
Just trying to make lite of the silly mess.But will say this none (that means 0,zero) of those type rings ever show up on my colonial type sites.The only time they start showing for me is when I get into the sites that are late 1800's-early 1900's.And as soon as they due all I have to do is look around a little and I start seeing old engine parts rather it be from old tractors,cars,trucks,boats or what have ya.I'm going to leave the copper bronze statement alone.So you can feel good about yourself. :-*
Why don't you go back and look at the one Garibaldi posted, clearly it was of Bronze with a shamfer-ed inner, the one you showed was flat Copper, from a spark plug, but you tried to be clever...everything goes over your head, you should move to Jamaica and become a limbo dancer :-*

This all falls right into what Cru,said......numerous types.I know the ones I am talking about only show in a specific time frame(1850's-late 1860's)
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Timekiller said:
Just trying to make lite of the silly mess.But will say this none (that means 0,zero) of those type rings ever show up on my colonial type sites.The only time they start showing for me is when I get into the sites that are late 1800's-early 1900's.And as soon as they due all I have to do is look around a little and I start seeing old engine parts rather it be from old tractors,cars,trucks,boats or what have ya.I'm going to leave the copper bronze statement alone.So you can feel good about yourself. :-*
Why don't you go back and look at the one Garibaldi posted, clearly it was of Bronze with a shamfer-ed inner, the one you showed was flat Copper, from a spark plug, but you tried to be clever...everything goes over your head, you should move to Jamaica and become a limbo dancer :-*

ohhh guys, lets not replace 1 make-up for 1 break-up. PLEASEEEEEEEE :coffee2:
What is the point of having a whatsits thread...to identify, every time these BRONZE ring have been posted, people keep coming on and saying I have found those, and they have shown copper ones, this is were you and kuger got mixed up and Pete, yes the ones posted by Pete are compression rings, but the one posted by Garabaldi was Bronze, not a compression ring...f#+king hell it's like wading through treacle :laughing9:

Pete to spite our recent disputes...I do like you :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I dont know what treacle is,but it doesnt sound like I wanna be in it?Spot on Colin :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
I dont know what treacle is,but it doesnt sound like I wanna be in it?Spot on Colin :thumbsup:
Malasis to you :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
I dont know what treacle is,but it doesnt sound like I wanna be in it?Spot on Colin :thumbsup:
Malasis to you :laughing9:
ahha!That would suck!! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
Timekiller said:
Just trying to make lite of the silly mess.But will say this none (that means 0,zero) of those type rings ever show up on my colonial type sites.The only time they start showing for me is when I get into the sites that are late 1800's-early 1900's.And as soon as they due all I have to do is look around a little and I start seeing old engine parts rather it be from old tractors,cars,trucks,boats or what have ya.I'm going to leave the copper bronze statement alone.So you can feel good about yourself. :-*
Why don't you go back and look at the one Garibaldi posted, clearly it was of Bronze with a shamfer-ed inner, the one you showed was flat Copper, from a spark plug, but you tried to be clever...everything goes over your head, you should move to Jamaica and become a limbo dancer :-*

ohhh guys, lets not replace 1 make-up for 1 break-up. PLEASEEEEEEEE :coffee2:
What is the point of having a whatsits thread...to identify, every time these BRONZE ring have been posted, people keep coming on and saying I have found those, and they have shown copper ones, this is were you and kuger got mixed up and Pete, yes the ones posted by Pete are compression rings, but the one posted by Garabaldi was Bronze, not a compression ring...f#+king hell it's like wading through treacle :laughing9:

Pete to spite our recent disputes...I do like you :icon_thumleft:

SS
SS as I stated in the past no problems with you guy's over there.You do what we do just in a different country we all have red blood & breath air.But when people start seeming to pick & dig under ones skin.Then I'm going to responed simple as that.Not much can be done over computers & hard to tell how one really feels I know.But with that said I can live either way.So to bury the hatchet is fine.
Best to ya!
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Whoa!! Look at all the international ruckus these ringthings have caused!! Haha, too funny... :laughing7:

First of all, thank you all for taking the time (and energy!) to look into the matter! :)

I guess I should have piped in earlier :) The rings in my photo are all flat, not bronze :P (just different sizes), and after listening to all this I know for sure they're not Celtic ring money...

I will also venture to doubt that they are parts of Dorset buttons...

So I'll leave it narrowed down to the spark plug dealies (boo!) or ring suspenders, which I prefer in my imagination (and some sites where they've turned up just don't support the idea of spark plugs being there... I'd like to think... sigh...)

Oh well. At least this all occasioned some breaking-up and making-up :) :thumbsup:

I admire and appreciate you guys across the pond for your knowledge and history, and you too Kuger for the same reasons (and since we're nearby and on the same home forum). And, being that we're all not only oxygen breathing mammals with red blood, but that we also follow the very strange pursuit of metal bits in the ground with crazy electronic gadgets, I don't see that there should be any reason we shouldn't get along :)

That said, thanks again guys!

PS - I'm about to post another What Is It?, this time with a plant... Let's see what kind of fireworks we can get going with this one!

:occasion14: Jayson
 
Upvote 0
:thumbsup:You bet Jays',I took a lot from this thread...all good.We rolled around kicked up the dust and al left friends....thats the way it should be!!! :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
I'm glad I looked at this thread. I have one of these lying around. I can't remember where I found it, though.
Mine is definitely copper, as I can see where I knicked it with my knife.

I'll go with the compression ring ID with mine.
 
Upvote 0
these rings are
obviously the sealing ring off of a spark plug,
as mentioned in one of the very first replies.
There have been several different diameter spark plugs
throughout the 20th century, and these are surely
spark plug gasket/sealing rings. Compression rings
fit onto the pistons of an engine, along with the oil rings.


:hello:
 
Upvote 0
ouachitacaveman said:
these rings are
obviously the sealing ring off of a spark plug,
as mentioned in one of the very first replies.
There have been several different diameter spark plugs
throughout the 20th century, and these are surely
spark plug gasket/sealing rings. Compression rings
fit onto the pistons of an engine, along with the oil rings.


:hello:

Not all of them and I promise you that!!!!As I said they are to suspenders and I have found still attached to the buckle.I do not hunt sites that produce anything past 1870 let alone a site that would produce a spark plug part!!!!
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
ouachitacaveman said:
these rings are
obviously the sealing ring off of a spark plug,
as mentioned in one of the very first replies.
There have been several different diameter spark plugs
throughout the 20th century, and these are surely
spark plug gasket/sealing rings. Compression rings
fit onto the pistons of an engine, along with the oil rings.


:hello:

Not all of them and I promise you that!!!!As I said they are to suspenders and I have found still attached to the buckle.I do not hunt sites that produce anything past 1870 let alone a site that would produce a spark plug part!!!!

I agree, My given example of Suspender clip with ring.
Bill
 

Attachments

  • dscn1522.webp
    dscn1522.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 876
Upvote 0
WOW!!! This thread really went wild. :hello2:

Speaking of rings...several years ago I was digging some brass rings at very old historic sites in Michigan. My rings were different from yours and looked more like wedding bands. I posted several photos here and most everyone told me they were auto parts of some sort. So I just pitched them as junk.

One day I found another and it had 18K stamped inside. I thought man, that's odd. It was obviously brass yet had a gold stamp???

I later found out that these were all genuine wedding bands and not auto parts. Brass wedding bands were very popular during the Civil War era on to the end of the Great Depression. Some were gold plated (or just highly polished) and fraudulently marked 14 or 18K to fool unsuspecting buyers.

In fact even today jewelry is mass produced with fake 14K & 18K designations. I've heard Mexico puts out millions of such pieces every year. They're polished brass/copper/bronze (sometimes heavily gold plated) and sealed against tarnish with new advanced non-yellowing clear coatings that almost never wear off.

Pretty darn tricky, eh? :icon_pirat:

Badger
P.S. I've also dug lots of rings like yours.
 
Upvote 0
I might start keeping the different sorts of copper-alloy, brass, bronze, copper, flat, rounded, folded, solid, hollow,small,medium, & large just to show the differences. That way people might start to get they don't have 1 purpose.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom