What's new

Copper ring things that always turn up at old sites...

staydetuned

Full Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
136
Golden Thread
1
Location
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
and always sound REALLY good. These always seem to turn up at old sites where, if they were a coin that sounded as good as they did, I would be really happy a bit more often. So, in the name of vengeance, I want to finally find out what the purpose of these tricksters is. Does anybody know?
 

Attachments

  • Rings01.webp
    Rings01.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,534
I can't answer for the States, but here in the UK we also find a lot of those rings. They were used in button making (Dorset Thread Buttons), and yes, they sound great don't they :laughing7:.

"Dorset buttons originated in southern England where their name is derived. Throughout Dorset, thread buttons became a cottage industry beginning in the early 18th century and continuing to the third quarter of the 19th century. Families, prison inmates and orphans were employed in the manufacture of thousands each year which were used throughout the UK and exported all over the world."

See attached link, but also google copper alloy rings used in making buttons :thumbsup:

http://www.wmboothdraper.com/Buttons/buttons_main.htm


hammered
 
Upvote 0
Burnt - No, a local park. But it was nearby for the quick size comparison :)

Worldtalker and Hammered, thank you for the replies. I'm a bit more inclined toward the button explanation, as it would make sense for some sites pre-automobile and out in the boonies. But if anyone else has an opinion, I would love to hear that.

Thanks Hammered for the effort and detail, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
staydetuned said:
Burnt - No, a local park. But it was nearby for the quick size comparison :)

Worldtalker and Hammered, thank you for the replies. I'm a bit more inclined toward the button explanation, as it would make sense for some sites pre-automobile and out in the boonies. But if anyone else has an opinion, I would love to hear that.

Thanks Hammered for the effort and detail, I really appreciate i
t. :thumbsup:


No problems mate, that's what we are here for :thumbsup:

hammered
 
Upvote 0
Yes, Hammered is 'spot on' with Dorset button rings. I have some that are made of bone, and made a post a year or so ago about them, and at that time didn't realize they were for making Dorset buttons. :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Many of us just came off of the Chisholm Trail Hunt 4 in Caldwell, KS. In a creek bed, we found hoards and hoards of them.....and they were the compression ring from spark plugs. We found the spark plugs beside them, and some with the rings still on the plugs.

--Mel

borninok
 
Upvote 0
borninok said:
Many of us just came off of the Chisholm Trail Hunt 4 in Caldwell, KS. In a creek bed, we found hoards and hoards of them.....and they were the compression ring from spark plugs. We found the spark plugs beside them, and some with the rings still on the plugs.

--Mel

borninok


As I said Mel, nice meeting you by the way :hello:, I can't answer for the US. But in the UK they are normally Dorset button rings. Having said that, I am fully open to suggestions :icon_thumleft:.
I hope you had a great hunt :thumbsup:


hammered
 
Upvote 0
Look like spark plug rings. The seam is on the inside and they are crushed flat .
 
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
Look like spark plug rings. The seam is on the inside and they are crushed flat .
I see the seam but I don't see where they are crushed flat. They look thicker than the Lincoln. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
They are from Ring suspenders.1850's-
 
Upvote 0
I have found those things too. I always pretended they were ancient Celtic ring money. :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Lets not get confused here. The thin copper ones pictured with the slit join are compressor rings. The solid bronze/brass ones (bottom left of picture) are still up for debate as any number of uses including buttons, horse harness rings, belt fitments & any other use you might won't them for.

no debate,I stated exactly what the"other",ones are
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
Lets not get confused here. The thin copper ones pictured with the slit join are compressor rings. The solid bronze/brass ones (bottom left of picture) are still up for debate as any number of uses including buttons, horse harness rings, belt fitments & any other use you might won't them for.

no debate,I stated exactly what the"other",ones are

:dontknow: :icon_scratch: these type of rings have been in use for 2000 years, where did you state that :icon_scratch: (not the flat pictured ones)
Well,pretty sure the "rings",Jayson(O.P.)posted are not 2000 years old,and you failed to add your tid bit of info in(excluding my provided info)I felt compelled to speak up...figured you have me on ignore anyway :wink:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
Lets not get confused here. The thin copper ones pictured with the slit join are compressor rings. The solid bronze/brass ones (bottom left of picture) are still up for debate as any number of uses including buttons, horse harness rings, belt fitments & any other use you might won't them for.

no debate,I stated exactly what the"other",ones are

:dontknow: :icon_scratch: these type of rings have been in use for 2000 years, where did you state that :icon_scratch: (not the flat pictured ones)
if you scroll down in this post and look at the pic I posted in the upper and lower left side......those were dug just like that.Also see a couple "singles",near the middle thumbsup
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,424602.msg3028578.html#msg3028578
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
Lets not get confused here. The thin copper ones pictured with the slit join are compressor rings. The solid bronze/brass ones (bottom left of picture) are still up for debate as any number of uses including buttons, horse harness rings, belt fitments & any other use you might won't them for.

no debate,I stated exactly what the"other",ones are

:dontknow: :icon_scratch: these type of rings have been in use for 2000 years, where did you state that :icon_scratch: (not the flat pictured ones)
if you scroll down in this post and look at the pic I posted in the upper and lower left side......those were dug just like that.Also see a couple "singles",near the middle thumbsup
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,424602.msg3028578.html#msg3028578
It would help if you links work. Ignore; what the hell :laughing9: I was directing my comments generally, & mostly at my English friend, why you piped up, I have no clue :o
But carry on ::) I thought you were on my side.........but you must thing something exists that doesn't
:icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
Lets not get confused here. The thin copper ones pictured with the slit join are compressor rings. The solid bronze/brass ones (bottom left of picture) are still up for debate as any number of uses including buttons, horse harness rings, belt fitments & any other use you might won't them for.

no debate,I stated exactly what the"other",ones are

:dontknow: :icon_scratch: these type of rings have been in use for 2000 years, where did you state that :icon_scratch: (not the flat pictured ones)
if you scroll down in this post and look at the pic I posted in the upper and lower left side......those were dug just like that.Also see a couple "singles",near the middle thumbsup
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,424602.msg3028578.html#msg3028578
It would help if you links work. Ignore; what the hell :laughing9: I was directing my comments generally, & mostly at my English friend, why you piped up, I have no clue :o
But carry on ::) I thought you were on my side.........but you must thing something exists that doesn't

I guess you were just born a Pr*&(^



That's a bit strong! Had a bad day :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
:laughing9:

Right you two do I have to spank you both :laughing7:

There has been a few threads started about these rings, the difference is what they are made from, Brass or Bronze.
The ones posted look like Brass, or Copper so are probably compression rings, or as Kuger suggests. The Ancient ones(which have may uses) are made from Bronze.
And if you are totally mad, Celtic Ring Money :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom