Copper Smoking Pipe

tgodin6

May 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a copper smoking pipe in a small stream in Massachusetts. It was very puzzling to me because I had never seen or heard of a copper smoking pipe. After doing some research I found that Native Americans actually used copper smoking pipes and if you were to find one it was likely to be in a river or stream. But the pictures I found of these Native American copper pipes looked different than mine as the stem was completely straight whereas mine has two curves in it. So if anyone could give me any information at all about this pipe that would be greatly appreciated!
image (1).jpeg image.jpeg

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like in the bowl is soldered to the stem so I would have to doubt that was made by Indians looks more like a chandelier part to me

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a candle holder.IMO

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure the stem is hollow ? It looks like a little dipper for holy water or something , seems like it would get awful hot as a pipe.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Some good ideas above, and I'd think it had originally been plated (silver or nickel, etc.), copper being a good base for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tgodin6

May 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stem is hollow and flat leading me to believe it is a pipe, hope this picture can help!
image (2).jpeg

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure looks like a pipe but I shudder to think about how hot that thing would get once you got her stoked up and rolling, you'd need welding gloves to hold it and the heat would travel up the stem pretty fast. Not to mention that you'd probably be poisoned. I don't know how far back lead soldering really goes, but if the stem is seamless I'd doubt that it's Indian.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
There arent possibly markings on the stem are there? I'm wrong a lot when I "see things", so take it with a grain of salt that I'm thinking there may be something there.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One way to really tell, clean it, pack her up with some Prince Albert and fire it up !

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious as to how you'd tell the difference between the drug and verdigris poisoning.

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be less worried about the solder poisoning me. I am pretty sure that copper releases arsenic when heated that's why they don't use it for pipes today.

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to how you'd tell the difference between the drug and verdigris poisoning.

Just Googled the Verdigris poisoning thing never heard of it thanks for the info. In my work as an electrician I often have to clean off green patina from electrical connections and parts I frequently use a wire wheel on a drill I'll definitely be wearing a dust mask from now on.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I make the same mistake sometimes buffing brass and copper, my lungs burn like fire for days afterwards.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread