What's new

Copper trail turned all brassy!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
5,777
Golden Thread
2
Location
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
2
Still having a ton of fun travelling on the copper trail.
I had a slow start, but got back up to speed on the second half of the hunt.

Our day began scouting a neat trail in the woods (see IPs post) they literally rolled out the red carpet for us! Although we didn't get much for finds, it was a diversion I wouldn't have missed for the world. It reminded me that you can entertain yourself and many others with stuff from a garbage pile and turn it into something unique that we truly didn't expect in a place in the middle of nowhere! About a kilometer of a five kilometer trail along a lake and adjoining woods was covered in carpets, mats, and remnants from a flooring store! It had been there for years, all moss covered and all. Also, every turn had a stuffed animal in a tree or out on a limb just watching you in a non-creepy kind of way. And to make sure you were heading in the right direction, random odd shoes and boots also were in the trees and bushes pointing the way down the trail. It was a one-of-a-kind place!

onward!
Next stop was site that once had an old store in the area. We didn't exactly hunt it, it was all grown up in bushes and trees, although my find was a 1874 silver five cents. A good start to the finding!

Next stop produced a penny token from 1812, initially I thought it was a much rarer local token but once I cleaned it the letdown ensued! Best find of the day for me was yet another British militia button?!@? I had not seen or heard of before! Crown and large "T" (no backmark) again, any info appreciated. I guess I'm going to keep the guy over in the UK busy this winter with all my oddball buttons to identify for me.

So, right across the road to an old favourite site (Patriot's GGGG grandpappy's place, I think I got that right lol) Scored a couple more coppers and a few flat bttons and a few odds and ends. Last time we were there I found a French Marines button at the bottom of the field so I knew it was an early Acadian site that was later claimed by Loyalists. I figured if some buttons could hide there so could a cob! well. it can, I did't find one :tongue3:

Last stop was another site we hunted with Patriot and Hunthicks several years earlier. It was getting dark at this time so the small handful of buttons I found went straight into my pouch without any looking. When I got home and cleaned them up I dscovered I found a couple more military buttons!
A cuff sized blowhole artillery and a cuff sized anchor button from the late 1700s!
Five military, five coppers and a silver! Not too shabby for a day that had a roughish kind of start but ended on a very high note!!
 

Attachments

  • ddc.webp
    ddc.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 169
  • dds.webp
    dds.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ddb.webp
    ddb.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 169
  • ddt.webp
    ddt.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 170
  • dda.webp
    dda.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 167
  • ddab.webp
    ddab.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 158
  • ddabb.webp
    ddabb.webp
    16 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 28
Very nice variety there buddy:headbang:

~Blaze~
 
Nearly one of each. Good day you had.
Nice Navy, artillery, and the mystery button.
Guessing you'll probably have another dig yet.
 
Great job on the early buttons.
I would love to add them to my collection. Looks like you guys had fun walking the yellow brick road..
 
Looks like it turned out to be a great hunt...I really love that old navy and British buttons...congrats
 
Great job on the early buttons.
I would love to add them to my collection. Looks like you guys had fun walking the yellow brick road..

Thanks Vino!
Yellow brick road was more like the shag carpet side street
 
Man I just love military buttons - and yours are way older than mine!
 
Yeap another unknown to me, it's a crown over script 'F'. (Look at buttons with a F)
 
Nice pile goodies there....You did very well with those military buttons...Nothing better than getting home from a hunt and seeing surprises in your pouch after a good cleaning... Did you pull those Frenchy's off of my GGGG grandpappy's site?
 
Yeap another unknown to me, it's a crown over script 'F'. (Look at buttons with a F)

Originally I thought it was an "F" and debated myself about it ; there wasn't a crosslet on there so then settled on "T"
Either way, I still don't know what it is
 
Nice pile goodies there....You did very well with those military buttons...Nothing better than getting home from a hunt and seeing surprises in your pouch after a good cleaning... Did you pull those Frenchy's off of my GGGG grandpappy's site?

I was so astonished to see another two when I cleaned up at the end of the day
And yes, your ancestor wore those buttons!!!
 
Outstanding buttons - WTG man!
 
Originally I thought it was an "F" and debated myself about it ; there wasn't a crosslet on there so then settled on "T"
Either way, I still don't know what it is

I can just see the crosslet, on these 'F's they are very small.
 
That was a successful day on two levels:
1. that you can even dig this time of year
2. You were able to get so many quality finds
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
 
That was a successful day on two levels:
1. that you can even dig this time of year
2. You were able to get so many quality finds
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Quality finds ,yes sir; I have give credit to quality sites, I cannot qualify them without giving credit to Iron Patch for his research...it makes our finds possible for the most part

As for digging this time of year, it is bonus for us this time round, although with the winter we had last year our spring was very very short
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom