What's new

Copper trail turned all brassy!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
5,777
Golden Thread
2
Location
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
2
Still having a ton of fun travelling on the copper trail.
I had a slow start, but got back up to speed on the second half of the hunt.

Our day began scouting a neat trail in the woods (see IPs post) they literally rolled out the red carpet for us! Although we didn't get much for finds, it was a diversion I wouldn't have missed for the world. It reminded me that you can entertain yourself and many others with stuff from a garbage pile and turn it into something unique that we truly didn't expect in a place in the middle of nowhere! About a kilometer of a five kilometer trail along a lake and adjoining woods was covered in carpets, mats, and remnants from a flooring store! It had been there for years, all moss covered and all. Also, every turn had a stuffed animal in a tree or out on a limb just watching you in a non-creepy kind of way. And to make sure you were heading in the right direction, random odd shoes and boots also were in the trees and bushes pointing the way down the trail. It was a one-of-a-kind place!

onward!
Next stop was site that once had an old store in the area. We didn't exactly hunt it, it was all grown up in bushes and trees, although my find was a 1874 silver five cents. A good start to the finding!

Next stop produced a penny token from 1812, initially I thought it was a much rarer local token but once I cleaned it the letdown ensued! Best find of the day for me was yet another British militia button?!@? I had not seen or heard of before! Crown and large "T" (no backmark) again, any info appreciated. I guess I'm going to keep the guy over in the UK busy this winter with all my oddball buttons to identify for me.

So, right across the road to an old favourite site (Patriot's GGGG grandpappy's place, I think I got that right lol) Scored a couple more coppers and a few flat bttons and a few odds and ends. Last time we were there I found a French Marines button at the bottom of the field so I knew it was an early Acadian site that was later claimed by Loyalists. I figured if some buttons could hide there so could a cob! well. it can, I did't find one :tongue3:

Last stop was another site we hunted with Patriot and Hunthicks several years earlier. It was getting dark at this time so the small handful of buttons I found went straight into my pouch without any looking. When I got home and cleaned them up I dscovered I found a couple more military buttons!
A cuff sized blowhole artillery and a cuff sized anchor button from the late 1700s!
Five military, five coppers and a silver! Not too shabby for a day that had a roughish kind of start but ended on a very high note!!
 

Attachments

  • ddc.webp
    ddc.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 169
  • dds.webp
    dds.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ddb.webp
    ddb.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 169
  • ddt.webp
    ddt.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 170
  • dda.webp
    dda.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 167
  • ddab.webp
    ddab.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 158
  • ddabb.webp
    ddabb.webp
    16 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 28
That mystery button may actually be a crown over a script I for infantry. Very similar to the US war of 1812 pewter I cuffs that I have dug.

You know I did consider that briefly as well; however, infantry isn't really a British regimental term I've noticed before, they tend to be the "of foot" variety
consensus on the letter is it isn't an "I" but something else
Like I mentioned in the original post, it's going to be one for the button experts in the UK to figure out as its something very different

I do thank you for your input
 
Damn I'm lucky I dug that 62nd otherwise my clock would have been cleaned! I'm glad you took the time to talk about the trail through the woods, it's better than what I could have written, and I was too beat to get much into it last night.

And just so you know, the next stop on the Copper Trail is the original location the Patriot's GGGG grandpappy.... where he was before moving North-East to drop those Marines buttons you found.
 
I had no idea that East Dirtyville had so many prize finds. LOL
Marvin
 
Damn I'm lucky I dug that 62nd otherwise my clock would have been cleaned! I'm glad you took the time to talk about the trail through the woods, it's better than what I could have written, and I was too beat to get much into it last night.

And just so you know, the next stop on the Copper Trail is the original location the Patriot's GGGG grandpappy.... where he was before moving North-East to drop those Marines buttons you found.

You and I have travelled far and wide over the last fifteen years detecting and that trail system was one of the neatest places we've seen in that time.

So there's an even older site! I'm listening! I guess I'll see it next time out!
 
I had no idea that East Dirtyville had so many prize finds. LOL
Marvin

Me either!
Every year I'm surprised to see such finds in both age and variety!
It's one thing about detecting, there's no guarantees and you never know until it's in your hand!
 
Man there's some nice finds there IH. Congrats.
ZDD
 
Me either!
Every year I'm surprised to see such finds in both age and variety!
It's one thing about detecting, there's no guarantees and you never know until it's in your hand!


It was next on the list after the last river we looked at, we just ran out of time... and was too far from where we were to make it the last stop. Definitely have enough ideas to last another day, maybe more, depending.
 
Fantastic buttons! Made me drool! Lol! Congrats IH!
 
Update of sorts

A little bit of info IP threw my way
button possibly pertains to Frederick Duke of York second son of King George lll and could date to around 1824
Leaning toward a royal connection or a livery type button

still not 100%, but if anymore info comes my way I'll throw it up here
 
This would be a good guy to contact. Not sure if you know, or remember, but he wrote a couple of articles on buttons I have found. So if you mention me, he'd know who I am. He's the type that would probably want to ID your button as much as you want it ID'd.

DENIS'BUTTONS
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom