What's new

Corn Mystery .....?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,943
Reaction score
248
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
OK I have a mystery on my hands. Over the past couple of weeks I have helped out a friend who hasn't been getting around too well to feed their chickens and horses. I've done this twice. They have scratch, reg chicken feed , etc.., and shelled corn for their horses. I didn't feed any shelled corn either time I only opened the bags and put them into a bin. I done this both times with the same jacket on, this jacket has pockets on the side but the opening is very stiff and doesn't really "hang open". They are tight at the entry. When I put the corn in both times I am certain that I didn't spill any on my body or out of the bags or the bin. OK now over the past couple weeks I have also been digging a spot finding stuff at 1 1/2 feet. I have dug into an ancient fire spot and have found some clam or mussel shells, and I believe turkey bones. I didn't feed the animals on days I went hunting, and I went three times lately. On the third day my son and I was digging opposite holes. I distinctly remember arriving at the spot, I sat down to catch my breath from the walk for a few while my son commenced digging as soon as we got there. I then went straight to my spot where I had left off prior. I did not walk by his spot at all to get to my spot. Ok we have our walls going we're shaving them for about 10 minutes and my son says look at this. He reaches me this kernal of corn. :icon_scratch: I'm like where did you bring that from, I'm almost laughing at him, but he's serious, "I just dug it". Well we trivialized about it forever and he claims he had clear smooth level in front of his wall after just pulling dirt to behind him for a fresh start on shaving the wall nothing was there then he hit the dirt a couple times, I said something to him, he looked up, replied back to me, and looked down and there it was. :dontknow: A picture below shows spot it was dug from, and some blurry pictures of the kernal. It's cloudy outside, I just couldn't get a good picture of it today. While we were trying to rationalize the kernels appearance from the dirt. He remembered that a couple days before he had same jacket on and was at his friends house who has a bird. He was around when they fed the bird but couldn't remember having been too close to any feed and its a small bird who probably wouldn't have that size kernels in its feed. so....? What do you think ? Any ancient corn experts out there :laughing7: Anyone ever found any corn like this while on a site? I also have to add that this site was woods just a few years ago and Im sure that there was noone planting or coming through this area with corn. Would ancient corn still be yellow. When you first get it into your hand you think its fresh, but if you sqeeze any or try to put a fingernail into it it then feels glassy, and since over the past few days since we have brought it home it has sort of deflated, sunk in, like taking it from where it was preserved (if that be the case) has exposed it to air and causes some type of degeneration ? If That had been the shelled corn from the feed I don't see that happening . The shelled corn from the feed if I remember correctly did look a little different but I can't exactly remember I haven't been back to my friends since we found it to do any comparison but I will be soon.

DSCF0011.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
In all of the books and articles that I've read on Native American excavations, I've yet to see a kernel of corn that's been found, even in coprolites. Many cobs have been found though. It's likely that most corn was ground in a "hominy hole" outside of the shelter (at least here in my neck of the woods). I've always heard that corn didn't turn yellow until the 1800's but I'm not so sure about that. I have seen cobs with kernels in rock shelters but these shelters were very close to corn fields. Who knows, you might just have a banner find there?! Send it out for Carbon 14 dating!

Interesting mystery, thanks for sharing.
 
Thanks 1320. I wonder how much it costs to have something carbon dated. That would settle my debate wouldn't it . I have also seen record of cobs found in shelters and they are kinda small versions of corn today, and while the examples in all of my books are B/W , they definately do not look yellow. What gets me is that after having a couple days it has shrivled up a bit on one side as if being exposed to oxygen has had some effect on it. If it was corn from anywhere me or my son had been I don't see it shrivling up like that. Thanks again .
 
i grew up on a farm and farmed for 25 years. my question is was this site youre digging open to the elemants? or was this a fresh dig? i have seen animals bury corn in very unusual places. even rats and mice will bury just a single kernel. i would not think that ancient kernels would have survived. but anything is possible. this is my opinion only. thanks for the story. steve.
 
Thanks for reading steve. This was definately a fresh dig site. I know for certain no corn was ever near this area. Found about 15 ft away from this...
 
:laughing7: yeah unfortunately I'll probably never know.
 
Get your gear together then :laughing7:
 
Interesting thread, I have been around farming most of my life and have seen mice and rats bury corn around the barn or chicken house and they usually don't bury it very deep. I don't see how it could last very long out in the eliments, it looks like it would either sprout and grow or decompose in the ground it's a head scratcher for sure that stop's and makes you think. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
 
I've dug a lot of different organic materials (nuts, plant seeds, cobs, gourds, pumpkin seeds, etc.) and they all lost any natural color from years in the dirt, and most had been carbonized and preserved as charcoal from being under campfires over the years. I can't see any way that an old piece of corn would still have such vibrant color.

Maybe it got stuck in the tread of your boots or something...
 
Haveing spent most of my life in the corn here in Iowa one things for shure if I even look at corn it ends up in my boots ,socks,pants,underware,shirt,coat,bibs,hat,gloves and every pocket.I would think the Indian corn strains would be of a smaller nature and color.
 
I agree with you fellas, I don't see how it would be yellow still it seems it would have had a brown or gray color or something. The few examples I can find of ancient corn found is usually charred from fire like you said. I have yet to compare it with my friends feed. The closest cornfield or possible garden to this site is around a mile I would guess, so I don't think rats or anything brought it to where we found it. Thing is too though, I didn't go anywhere near my sons spot when we got there and he has seen the feed from his friends bird since finding and there is no corn in their birds feed. lol its a finch. I am however going to go ahead and put it up for sale :laughing7: so anyone who has recently bought some bridges pm me.
 
The suspense was killing me this evening so I went to my friends house to see the shelled corn feed he has and that corn is definately different than the corn I have, it is more pale yellow and longer . His corn is more flatlike while this one is more bulbous. And considering the whereabouts of my site I am more dumbfounded now than I was before. I am going to put it in the assemblage frame I have started for this site anyway for novelty :laughing7: I just wish I had more resources to compare this to. There doesn't seem to be any yellow corn found on ancient sites that I can find to read about. My books all have examples of charred or preserved cobs . I guess I should have mentioned before that this kernel was found in dry conditions. Oh well I suppose it will just be a mystery and something to laugh about.
 
on a serious thought here. are you close to a university ? maybe someone in the agricultural dept. might be able to date the age of your kernel. i bet carbon dating is expensive but i would think someone at a university could help you. if you think its worth it.
 
Yeah but if it happened to be real :icon_scratch: they would want to go see if they could find some. btw I live close to ou and theres an arch program at a teck college close by too in nelsonville.
 
have you found any other hard stones in the area, a friend of mine found a nutting stone and the area is full of other hard stones some were tools we are sure of but then alot of just hard stone. its amazing how they cound make a hole in a stone with the tools they had. really cool find. boss is here so gotta go. thanks for the posts. every one be careful out there :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
 
It looks like a popcorn kernel. There is simply no way it is ancient.
 
How cool would it be to revive an ancient strain of corn?! I say plant it this spring and then compare it to modern corn. Carbon dating would be about $600 (ouch). That's one nice "hominy hole".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom