What's new

Corn Mystery .....?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,943
Reaction score
248
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
OK I have a mystery on my hands. Over the past couple of weeks I have helped out a friend who hasn't been getting around too well to feed their chickens and horses. I've done this twice. They have scratch, reg chicken feed , etc.., and shelled corn for their horses. I didn't feed any shelled corn either time I only opened the bags and put them into a bin. I done this both times with the same jacket on, this jacket has pockets on the side but the opening is very stiff and doesn't really "hang open". They are tight at the entry. When I put the corn in both times I am certain that I didn't spill any on my body or out of the bags or the bin. OK now over the past couple weeks I have also been digging a spot finding stuff at 1 1/2 feet. I have dug into an ancient fire spot and have found some clam or mussel shells, and I believe turkey bones. I didn't feed the animals on days I went hunting, and I went three times lately. On the third day my son and I was digging opposite holes. I distinctly remember arriving at the spot, I sat down to catch my breath from the walk for a few while my son commenced digging as soon as we got there. I then went straight to my spot where I had left off prior. I did not walk by his spot at all to get to my spot. Ok we have our walls going we're shaving them for about 10 minutes and my son says look at this. He reaches me this kernal of corn. :icon_scratch: I'm like where did you bring that from, I'm almost laughing at him, but he's serious, "I just dug it". Well we trivialized about it forever and he claims he had clear smooth level in front of his wall after just pulling dirt to behind him for a fresh start on shaving the wall nothing was there then he hit the dirt a couple times, I said something to him, he looked up, replied back to me, and looked down and there it was. :dontknow: A picture below shows spot it was dug from, and some blurry pictures of the kernal. It's cloudy outside, I just couldn't get a good picture of it today. While we were trying to rationalize the kernels appearance from the dirt. He remembered that a couple days before he had same jacket on and was at his friends house who has a bird. He was around when they fed the bird but couldn't remember having been too close to any feed and its a small bird who probably wouldn't have that size kernels in its feed. so....? What do you think ? Any ancient corn experts out there :laughing7: Anyone ever found any corn like this while on a site? I also have to add that this site was woods just a few years ago and Im sure that there was noone planting or coming through this area with corn. Would ancient corn still be yellow. When you first get it into your hand you think its fresh, but if you sqeeze any or try to put a fingernail into it it then feels glassy, and since over the past few days since we have brought it home it has sort of deflated, sunk in, like taking it from where it was preserved (if that be the case) has exposed it to air and causes some type of degeneration ? If That had been the shelled corn from the feed I don't see that happening . The shelled corn from the feed if I remember correctly did look a little different but I can't exactly remember I haven't been back to my friends since we found it to do any comparison but I will be soon.

DSCF0011.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a nasty thought. :icon_scratch: Say one of our paleo friends ingested some corn. Then after a couple of mastodon steaks and some fruit juice had to relieve himself. He then covered it in leaves and dirt. If it was contained in the center of his relief and it dried quickly from the dry dirt he covered it with, it would form an airtight seal........ Like I said just a nasty thought. :dontknow:
 
Nah, because the anaerobic bacteria contained in the paleopoop would have still continued to break down the corn.
 
True-but only if the bacteria contains facultative anaerobes, if the bacteria contains obligate anaerobes then the bacteria would die. Just kidding....I don't know squat about bacteria, but I have seen corn survive some crazy S%*t!!! :o
 
I know a little bit about bacteria, especially stool bacteria. US Army lab tech and all that.
 
Spent some time in the USN on Destroyers-Thanks for your service!!
 
There are only expensive ways to find out I guess for sure. A bird could have carried a kernel from the next farm over to where you are, and dropped it, even 20 years ago. Who knows.

I say plant that thing and try to get it to grow, then you could send some kernels off to someone who might check it for fun????

--Jim
 
i do not think that corn is that old.
all tho i could be wroung.
here is corn thats only 3 years old
 

Attachments

  • lophgfd.webp
    lophgfd.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 272
bump

:hello2:

found another one today.............dry conditions....very very hard....thats what she said.....outershell very glossy almost seems fossilized .? thats what she said...
 
bump

:hello2:

found another one today.............dry conditions....very very hard....thats what she said.....outershell very glossy almost seems fossilized .? thats what she said...

I'm thinking you just told on yourself....shelter digger.....You are digging in a shelter aren't you? Shelter digger, shelter digger, shelter digger....shame on you...lol. If you are, please accept my virtual high five. And if you are, please extend an apology to me and many others that you've previously offended regarding this matter. Rereading this thread begs me to ask a question to anyone that might remember....Joshuaream.......do any of you know who this gentleman is and his background (expertise)?! It's a shame that he's no longer with us......
 
he posted not long ago seems like last week...
as for shelter digging i haven't a clue what your talking about sir :dontknow:
 
Can we see an image of the newly found piece of corn? Might get some stars or a banner? This reminds me of a dig that I was on with my brother last year...we were down about 4 feet in some real loose sand and hitting some nice debitage, we were high fiving each other thinking that we'd found "pay dirt" when out came a ciggy butt and a .22 casing.....you can imagine the let down. And for what it's worth, about two weeks ago, I stumbled out of bed about 5 am and stepped on a half eaten hickory nut laying on the floor.....the closest Hickory tree is about 300 yards away....wtf?! One more funny.....my boys and I were drying Indian Corn seeds in a spare bedroom this year, had them on a cookie tray laying on the floor...the pile keep getting smaller and smaller. Didn't think much of it until I put one of my hunting boots on.....it was full of corn! Couple days later, I found a stockpile of seeds in a dresser drawer. Removed seeds, placed trap with peanut butter.....got that sucker. OK, back on topic.....if you're digging in an undug shelter, there is a chance that you're corn could be a couple hundred years old but dry is the key......it wouldn't survive otherwise. Some shelters provide that environment, most will down to a few inches for sure......apology accepted.
 
huh? wha? shelters?

I see what your saying about how things could get places in funny ways I'm thinking now an animal may have used this dry place and by dry place i mean the site where i found a force field covering a site for all these years. I figured out how to deactivate it and boom what do ya know fresh site. Anyway I don't know if it was mentioned above about an animal bringing to this spot some corn most likely this could be the case I really don't know why I didn't think of that to begin with I experienced the 60s in the 80s and 90s so that may be why. Anyway I would say the animal theory is closest to solution, I did however find the pc the same depth as first pc and this coon musta been there in the 1800s :laughing7: and he would have drug the corn a long long way aint no cornfields in them hills never was.
 
apology accepted.


:laughing7: oh yeah I'm so sorry you guys illegally dig shelters in KY. I dont have a photo my camera is with my daughter but I'll see if I can scan it later, which would involve hooking up my printer copier fax thingy I hardly ever used i rearanged this room and just never hooked it back up.
 
Somehow I missed what you were saying about the rodent I must have zoned out for a minute yeah a rodent coon etc is most likely what it is ...just slap me
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom