What's new

Corner Stone Laid By George Washington In 1793 ???

RPG

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Found this copper coin/token today. It's a little bigger than 1" or approx. 25.6mm. Can't make out anything on one side but the other side is in pretty good shape. I think everyone can read it themselves. Been googling this for hours and can't find it. I think I can see some gold gilt shining through the dirt. Any idea what I have? :dontknow:
Thanks
Randy
 

Attachments

  • wdc1.webp
    wdc1.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 929
  • wdc3.webp
    wdc3.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 905
They often sold souvenirs like this at great events. Thats what I'm guessing....
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
They often sold souvenirs like this a great events. Thats what I'm guessing....

My thoughts also. I would like to know how old it is. Maybe the great event you speak of is the completion of the national capitol? :o :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
It's a gold plated bronze medallion. Can't post pic due to copy right, but here's the link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uvenir+coin&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=540&um=1
Great ID Ironspike. :icon_thumright: Apparently its part of a Presidential Series.
With President Ford the series was probably made in the 70's. The link says 40's but my guess is that he/she is mistaken. There are several other very similar Presidential series (pics)from the 40's and 50's that were issued from Shell gas stations and are different. Many members have found them but this is the first of this series that I can recall.
 

Attachments

  • presidential tokens.webp
    presidential tokens.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 827
  • president jefferson shell token back.webp
    president jefferson shell token back.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,814
  • presidential tokens.webp
    presidential tokens.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 725
  • president jefferson shell token back.webp
    president jefferson shell token back.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,736
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
IronSpike said:
It's a gold plated bronze medallion. Can't post pic due to copy right, but here's the link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uvenir+coin&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=540&um=1
Great ID Ironspike. :icon_thumright: Apparently its part of a Presidential Series.
With President Ford the series was probably made in the 70's. The link says 40's but my guess is that he/she is mistaken. There are several other very similar Presidential series (pic)from the 40's and 50's that were issued from Shell gas stations and are different. Many members have found them but this is the first of this series that I can recall.

Thanks IronSpike and bigcy. I think we're on track but if you notice, the wording is different on the one in the link.
Randy
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
bigcypresshunter said:
IronSpike said:
It's a gold plated bronze medallion. Can't post pic due to copy right, but here's the link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uvenir+coin&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=540&um=1
Great ID Ironspike. :icon_thumright: Apparently its part of a Presidential Series.
With President Ford the series was probably made in the 70's. The link says 40's but my guess is that he/she is mistaken. There are several other very similar Presidential series (pic)from the 40's and 50's that were issued from Shell gas stations and are different. Many members have found them but this is the first of this series that I can recall.

Thanks IronSpike and bigcy. I think we're on track but if you notice, the wording is different on the one in the link.
Randy
I didnt even notice that the cornerstone part is missing.
 
Upvote 0
The Franklin Mint also produced a Presidential Series.
 
Upvote 0
I have some brass "Coin History of the US Presidents" from 1997.
 

Attachments

  • rdcoins.webp
    rdcoins.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,934
Upvote 0
mick56 said:
I have some brass "Coin History of the US Presidents" from 1997.
I would like to see a close up of one. Is it the same series as the link?
 
Upvote 0
No, only presidents. But my set is not complete. The folder has spots to put the coins in up to Clinton. No spot for any others except presidents.
 
Upvote 0
mick56 said:
No, only presidents. But my set is not complete. The folder has spots to put the coins in up to Clinton. No spot for any others except presidents.
I think your set was a Readers Digest promotion. The Capitol token may not be part of the Presidents set.
 
Upvote 0
I have and incomplete set of the Reader's Digest coins and they are all presidents. Monty
 

Attachments

  • Home cache 001.webp
    Home cache 001.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 715
  • Home cache 001.webp
    Home cache 001.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
They often sold souvenirs like this at great events. Thats what I'm guessing....

agree crusader: my first thought is the white house. i am trying to google a good link to maybe pinpoint issuance date. this is pretty old token. i feel the newer medals are generally straght across. the posted medal shows much more engraving work. to me meaning older. not 1920 early but not 1960 either
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to email the pics to the U.S. Capitol Historical Society and see if they can help narrow down a date. I will keep you posted.

Randy
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • back.webp
    back.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0
bigcy...mine is a little larger than a quarter. about 1/16" larger in dia. It measures just over an inch.
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
bigcy...mine is a little larger than a quarter. about 1/16" larger in dia. It measures just over an inch.
I dont have a sample from this set in my hand so I measured the pic above. Sure enough, it is slightly larger than a quarter.

I could be wrong but I think your coin is part of this presidential set. This is NOT from the larger sized brass 60's Shell gas station giveaway and this is not from the '97 Readers Digest set either. I believe this is part of an older presidential set. Your token looks like it's from one of the presidential commemorative or so-called "presidential data" series. I heard that some were given away at gas stations, others at banks, and some were also used as prizes in boxes of breakfast cereal. We can tell the date by the oldest president. My guess is 50's.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom