What's new

Corner Stone Laid By George Washington In 1793 ???

RPG

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Found this copper coin/token today. It's a little bigger than 1" or approx. 25.6mm. Can't make out anything on one side but the other side is in pretty good shape. I think everyone can read it themselves. Been googling this for hours and can't find it. I think I can see some gold gilt shining through the dirt. Any idea what I have? :dontknow:
Thanks
Randy
 

Attachments

  • wdc1.webp
    wdc1.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 929
  • wdc3.webp
    wdc3.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 905
bigcypresshunter said:
RPG said:
bigcy...mine is a little larger than a quarter. about 1/16" larger in dia. It measures just over an inch.
I dont have a sample from this set in my hand so I measured the pic above. Sure enough, it is slightly larger than a quarter.

I could be wrong but I think your coin is part of this presidential set. This is NOT from the larger sized brass 60's Shell gas station giveaway and this is not from the '97 Readers Digest set either. I believe this is part of an older presidential set. Your token looks like it's from one of the presidential commemorative or so-called "presidential data" series. I heard that some were given away at gas stations, others at banks, and some were also used as prizes in boxes of breakfast cereal. We can tell the date by the oldest president. My guess is 50's.

I agree with your 50's guess. I was thinking the same. I am going to mark this solved but am still going to email pics to the U.S. Capitol Historical Society. If I find out different I will post at that time.

Good work bigcy and thanks for all your help.
Randy
 
Upvote 0
Here is the Jefferson from the set. Same size and very similar style.
 

Attachments

  • PRESIDENT JEFFERSON BACK.webp
    PRESIDENT JEFFERSON BACK.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0
I don't know what's on the back of these coins as they are still all in the blister pack. There could have been one with the capital on it but I just don't have it. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I don't know what's on the back of these coins as they are still all in the blister pack. There could have been one with the capital on it but I just don't have it. Monty
What is the diameter of your Readers Digest tokens? It looks as if your tokens are larger. The Capitol token is 1/16 dia. bigger than a quarter.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom