Costco San Diego wants $5.99 for three tomatoes

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were not the size of pumpkins, but they were really big beautiful tomatoes. These were the Audrey Hepburn or Raquel Welch in their prime kind of tomatoes.
That said, they were also the most expensive tomatoes I've ever contemplated buying in my life.

I'm sure Rachel Welch wasn't cheep to be around either, but knowing myself, It's far more likely that I would would have splurged on Rachel Welch as opposed to giving in to the siren call of the Costco tomatoes, even if I new it more then likely meant that I would risk ruining my entire life in the process.

I just KNEW I spelled "pumkin" wrong.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried growing a row of tomatoes last year. I probably got ten pounds total harvest ( not so great ). Very tasty. The wasps liked them, too. Lot's of boreholes, but they didn't eat much. In balance, the blood loss to mosquitoes while tending them, was greater than the nutrition I got from the fruit.

I buy them at the local Farmer's Market, when it's operating, for around $2/lb. You'll know they're good when they are several colors, yellow, green, red, and they have numerous healed splits in the skin. The even-toned red, perfect tomatoes, are factory grown.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They run from $3 to $4 a pound here, depending on season, so your price doesn’t seem outrageous to me. Much cheaper to grow your own and they taste better. If you don’t want to go that route Roma tomato’s are cheaper.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s why I try to grow my own tomatoes

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much you give for a bushel ? 400$ shipped...??:tchest:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
They run from $3 to $4 a pound here, depending on season, so your price doesn’t seem outrageous to me. Much cheaper to grow your own and they taste better. If you don’t want to go that route Roma tomato’s are cheaper.

Well, the thing is, it's not my price, it's Costco's price. Three months ago they were .99 cents a pound. I'm not gonna grow tomatoes. I have a lot of stuff going on.
Im basicallyr retired and I still have a lot of stuff going on.

Last edited:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck to those who have gardens this summer.

We almost didn't have one. Never had success growing from seed, and seedlings this year were Unobtainium at the Usual Suspects stores. Then we found a small nirsery that had seedlings, no waiting six hours on a line to get at them, and a good variety.

We have three tomato plants (Celebrity, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple) and one Shiishiito pepper. Whether they will yield after this late start? We'll find out in a couple months.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know gardening isn't for everyone . it's a lot of work for sure . I spend hours every day working the gardens. I find it relaxing and rewarding.
for those who can't or simply choose not to grow their own can still do better than the store has to offer by supporting local Agriculture.
If I weren't growing my own I'd get them from the Amish for about 50 cents a pound or I can get a bushel for $ 25 .

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes too dry here as well . hand watering every other day is time consuming and gets old quick.
I'm over loaded with summer squash and beans , tomato's are a few weeks out.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are Tomato plants still illegal to acquire and plant in Michigan by order of the Governor? Just asking.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
yes too dry here as well . hand watering every other day is time consuming and gets old quick.
I'm over loaded with summer squash and beans , tomato's are a few weeks out.
Plants don’t like well water. They need electrically charged water from the sky.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still in the parking lot of a Costco, in San Diego.

They want 5.99 for three tomatoes and there were about 25 packages total in the whole store.
A generation stands between me and the folks that were happily picking these things two months ago before the entire crop rotted in place.

I'm not gonna do it. I drive a Mercedes and have a 401K (sore subject).

I'm not trying to be political but it looks like I'm not having tomatoes to often for at least the foreseeable future

Food supply is a really really big deal.

Well this is a treasure forum. At that price did you have to decipher a poem that led you to them?

chub

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still in the parking lot of a Costco, in San Diego.

They want 5.99 for three tomatoes and there were about 25 packages total in the whole store.
A generation stands between me and the folks that were happily picking these things two months ago before the entire crop rotted in place.

I'm not gonna do it. I drive a Mercedes and have a 401K (sore subject).

I'm not trying to be political but it looks like I'm not having tomatoes to often for at least the foreseeable future

Food supply is a really really big deal.

Part of the problem is that those tomatoes could have been $9.99 and a lot of people wouldn't even blink. They wipe their @ss with $10 bills or $10 in food stamps. People don't budget or mind their daily spending. Even big ticket items aren't really budgeted. If a bank will give a loan for it, it's assumed you can afford it.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plants don’t like well water. They need electrically charged water from the sky.

I agree the plants thrive on rain and just survive on well water. going to rain here tomorrow so all is well .
Tomato's are starting to ripen just a bit , another 2 weeks and I'll be eating good.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree the plants thrive on rain and just survive on well water. going to rain here tomorrow so all is well .
Tomato's are starting to ripen just a bit , another 2 weeks and I'll be eating good.
Already? Nice. Mine will be ready end of July.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes they are turning from green towards yellow , over ran with squash and green beans. I always have fresh tomato's before july first, they will run until frost around Nov first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread