could anyone id these coins,,thanks heaps

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
Hi ...these are my brothers and I promised to post them in this forum to see if they can be identified...the one with the hole in says 18 with a crest in the middle with 16 on the other side and a leaf curling up both sdes..the middle one shows 1875 below a crest that is almost unreadable with letters around the outside of the otherside saying something like...victoria.d.c.britt.reg.f.d.,thats all i can Sort of make out..and that may not be spot on.....the right one shows a bull headed roman emperor looking guy with 1817 below, and on reverse some etchings that I cant make out as it is so smooth...could this be silver along with the first one ??any help is so appreciated..cheers, des from new zealand

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 397

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Guessing: Coin on the left: British Sixpence (mid-1800s)
O Filleted head of Victoria left,
VICTORIA DEI GRATIA BRITANNIAR: REG: F: D:
R Value in wreath, crown above, die number above date (if it were visible)
SIX PENCE date
Similar to those found here: http://www.treasurerealm.com/coinpapers/england/Ar_Victoria.html

Don.......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The middle coin appears to be the penny of Queen Victoria. From 1860 onwards, bronze (an alloy of 95% copper, 4% tin, and 1% zinc) was used— the bronze penny weighed ⅓ oz (9.4 grams) and was 31 millimetres in diameter.

The reverse would show a seated Britannia holding a trident with the words ONE PENNY to either side of her, and the date in the exergue beneath her.

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
holy smoke you are the man..I got a more powerful magnifyier and re posted the letters..but you beat me to it ..what a knowledge...and what a help..so rapt there are people like you around ..cheers from des and brother.......heaps of thanks again....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Des:
I enjoyed the research; thanks for the opportunity. In the future, you may choose to add the diameter (in MM) and the weight (in grams) to your description. Another ID help aid would be to show 'scale' to your unknows; like a ruler or another common coin in the same picture as your unknown.
Keep hunting and posting; those coins are most interesting.
Don........

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
will take that onboard Don...next ones will have all that..cheers des

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SS:
Thanks for the clarity.
I noticed that Des used a similar description ("bull headed roman emperor"), but it didn't click with me that the phrasing might be world-wide slang for this type of coin.
I keep learning.
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread