could be an early Christmas present........oh it is!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Old man winter missed the bus and we got a few more days of detecting ahead I guess!! Late season conditions were keeping me and Iron Patch digging steady most of today. We hit the spot where I scored the US large cent a little while back, I figured there was a couple left hiding since we didn't give a full smackdown last trip there.

After re-establishing where the site was, we started to dig and found out there was stuff all over the entire field! a pleasant surprise, lots of buttons and coins and the odd nitnoid to keep it interesting. Lots of buttons, but not too many marked ones, I did however find a St. John;s Provincials (late 1700's early 1800's militia) (interesting...only about 200 members when this button came out) French cinq centimes (1790's Revolution coinage) and a back off a powder flask that I found last time but only took it in from the car today (for shame)

At the end of our hunt today we stopped off at a spot we hunted recently as well, and that's where Santa left something for me to find....first target in the field!!!
And although it didn't have a big bow on it I was sure happy to find a McCausland penny, check it out in the Canadian coin books, it's a rare one and it wasn't my first, but this one is awesome the way it is and it got a ton of character!!

Attachments

• goods.JPG
    goods.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,176
  • sjprov.JPG
    sjprov.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • cinq centimes.JPG
    cinq centimes.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • macC.JPG
    macC.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,165
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was so close, but sit here as far as I ever was! One day I'll find my big penny that has hid for 10 years!

The button dates 1790s, just think for a second. :thumbsup: Of course they probably used em a long while after that.

You got the day I was looking for! (but I knew it was coming)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Stuff! That St. J's should look incredible after a lemon juice bath.

I like the powder flask too. Is it decorated?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds...much better I think than if you had ventured over to this side of the Strait! Although I would like to get a more experienced coil over some of my site to show me if I am missing anything.

Congrats on the MacCausland! Don't see those everyday!! Money!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
BuckleBoy said:

lemon juice will only make that button taste better....most of the gilt is gone, you can see all there is

flask is plain

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Sweet finds...much better I think than if you had ventured over to this side of the Strait! Although I would like to get a more experienced coil over some of my site to show me if I am missing anything.

Congrats on the McCausland! Don't see those everyday!! :icon_thumleft:

I'm sure there's still one reserved for you before me! :BangHead:

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
romeo-1 said:

Congrats on the McCausland! Don't see those everyday!! :icon_thumleft:

my window of opportunity to travel has closed, but I couldn't let that stop me from detecting, even though I still had a urge to go back to that site this year, it was sooner rather than later as far as today's finds went

don't worry I'll be happy when I get to leave some of your sites with some finds!! when the day comes, I hope we both can have something to show for it

yessir, those pennies sure don't show up too often for sure!!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs there IH... that McCausland penny is a sweet find and along with those other targets, even if did snow you can say you had a great year! I hope to get another dig with Hans in before the big freeze....maybe another 2nd american will pop out :headbang:

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The Patriot said:
Great digs there IH... that McCausland penny is a sweet find and along with those other targets, even if did snow you can say you had a great year! I hope to get another dig with Hans in before the big freeze....maybe another 2nd american will pop out :headbang:

this year has not been dissappointing ,then again I'm rarely shut out from getting the "goods", 2009 is right up there with the rest for me....always some good waiting!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the rareity and value of this token escapes most. I must admit, up until a year ago if I had dug this I would be thinkig it was a cool counterstamped copper and nothing more...This is easily a BANNER find!

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Your taking full advantage of the good weather, another great hunt. Way to go on the military button, always nice to see one at a good site. You'd better hope the weather doesn't stay like this for too long, otherwise you and IP will hunt all of your spring spots!.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
ironhorse said:
BuckleBoy said:

lemon juice will only make that button taste better....most of the gilt is gone, you can see all there is

flask is plain
Lemon juice may make it taste better but olive oil will boost the good cholesterol. :laughing7: Good day for you.
Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
ironhorse said:
BuckleBoy said:

flask is plain
Lemon juice may make it taste better but olive oil will boost the good cholesterol. :laughing7: Good day for you.
Chris

You mean your Copperlesterol. :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ironhorse !! Awesome oldies thanks for posting!! Now I am a going back out to find mine!! MaineReic.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gooD FINDS! DEF. NOT A LEMON!

CRUSADER

Gold Member