Could President Trump help the Treasure Business?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very briefly - Is there a chance that if someone could get President Trump's attention directed to the way that the Federal and State governments (and that whole UNESCO con job) interfere with American citizens who are merely trying to conduct business? Odyssey is the biggest poster child for direct interference, but Bobby and GME are looking like they are the State of Florida's newest 'screwees". The FKNMS taking of the 1733 sites and the decision to put every fracking shipwreck under federal control in 1988 (Abandoned Shipwreck Act) followed up by the Navy's grab for control with the Sunken Military Craft Act of 2004 area all merely bureaucrats vying for control of things they know little about and care less about. It's the control that counts because it gives them power over something or someone.
Trump is pro-business and anti-regulation. I cannot imagine that we will ever have a more sympathetic ear in the White House.
If the Trump Administration were to help get rid of some of the impediments that we presently deal with, I would have to think that other governments (Bahamas) might become more interested in letting the treasure salvage business help pay the $400 million dollar revenue shortfall they had in 2016 and that might be as important as easing the pain in the USA.
What say you?

Further reading:
Scuttle the Abandoned Shipwreck Act: The Unnecessary Unconstitutionality of American Historic Shipwreck Preservation - Tulane Maritime Law Journal

https://www.nps.gov/archeology/tools/laws/asa.htm

https://coast.noaa.gov/data/Documen...w - Sunken Military Craft Act.pdf?redirect=30

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...tions-and-other-activities-directed-at-sunken

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bf.html

The Government of The Bahamas

The Bahamas High Commission, London

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother from a different mother!

I've been thinking the same thing(s).

I was watching the "beach replenishment" going on at Ft. Pierce Inlet the other day as the muddy water just poured onto the beach and of course into the Ocean. I said to another treasure hunter, "and they get on our asses about water turbidity!!

What we need is to find a Florida politician that is hungry to advance a career. One that would listen to the pro-business aspect of what we do, the over reach of the bureaucrats and the violations of federal law.

Yes, the Abandoned Shipwrecks Act calls for cooperation between States and private sector shipwreck salvage. So Texas is in complete defiance of the law and other states are abusive of the law.

Maybe if we could appeal to the cultural background of a senator from Florida we could get him to repeal (lol) or amend the ASA with strict language for cooperation.

As Trump himself is showing, social media is a powerful communication tool. Maybe some politician from Florida that would like to improve his political standing needs to receive some tweets and Facebook posts?

This guy might be one of them...
https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/

and I hear this guy has some political goals not yet achieved.

https://mast.house.gov/

Last edited:

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We start today. I think the Trump Admin would be willing to defund UNESCO Law of the Sea in Paris. I checked out their salaries a couple of years ago and was appalled at what they are paid. I just looked for the info that I saved but can't find it right now. I will find it again and take on that area and post here for others to write to Trump admin. Another area is NOAA. James Delgado is one of the major problems there. He uses NOAA equipment to look for shipwrecks which provides information for his book publishing. He is an ex SCRU employee with NPS. A recent article (infomercial) from NOAA suggested that they found some shipwrecks off the California coast, at the bottom of the article they mentioned "Oh, by the way we found some corals as well". If everyone picks an area to do research in and shares it here we should be able to change some gov mindset. "We are good at research, aren't we". Anybody fluent in Spanish should write to the Colombian Culture Minister and get a letter from him explaining the benefits of Colombia having NOT signed the UNESCO Law of the Sea.
Just for starters!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
/Users/Administrator/Desktop/HRM_brochure2013.pdf

The perks for UNESCO people in Paris. I'll add the salaries when I find it.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know what Gov dept Anne Giesecke works for today? She drafted the ASA.
/Users/Administrator/Desktop/SECOND NEWPORT SYMPOSIUM: "Sunken Treasure: Law, Technology, and Ethics": Keynote Address: The Aband.webarchive

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dr Anne Giesecke is fiercely in favor of the very small number of archaeologists.
https://muablog.wordpress.com/2010/...nited-states-perspective-by-dr-anne-giesecke/
There really aren't many of them...they just have a bigger megaphone:
https://dougsarchaeology.wordpress....more-than-a-couple-less-than-there-should-be/ (less than 11,000)

You're going to really love where ol' Anne has been for the last 25 years - after she managed to mastermind that mess: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anne-giesecke-ph-d-775013a/

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Ropefish, Salvor6 and I will introduce you to a close friend of Trump's that will be at the cookout. Maybe he can help? He's also a treasure hunter.
And No, this isn't one of Sads669's April Fool's jokes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great idea, if you could ever get a letter to him! However, all letters to the President are screened by Aides and beforehand by the FBI and Secret Service and the majority never make it to the President's desk. Only very notable letters get seen by the President and lesser ones that are worthy, are usually answered by Aides or Secretaries and the remainder placed on file. The best bet would be to find some Representatives, Congress Men or Women and Senators that are sympathetic to the Treasure Salvors plight, Lobby them for Bills in the Treasure Salvors favor and/or petition them to call for a Congressional Hearing. Not much gets the attention of a State's Officials and it's Politicians but a Congressional Hearing will make them stand at attention!

Frank

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Could President Trump help the Treasure Business?

Probably. Once the stock market crashes gold and silver are going to fly up...which is good for us:) I invested in silver stocks in Jan and its already up over $1.00 from what I paid.

As far as him helping detectorists...I mean how much did our lobby contribute to his campaign? If you aren't valuable and/or there isn't a huge PR gain, he isn't going to do squat. He is worrying about trying to pass anything at this point let alone trying to help an insignificant part of the population. I don't mean to sound negative but its the truth. You have a much better chance of making change at the local level.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We lost a major advocate for our cause. Peter Hess. I think we owe it to Peter as his legacy to correct the wrongs that the publish or perish mob have forced on us by using government jobs and agencies to try and deter us instead of working with us.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Probably. Once the stock market crashes gold and silver are going to fly up...which is good for us:) I invested in silver stocks in Jan and its already up over $1.00 from what I paid.

As far as him helping detectorists...I mean how much did our lobby contribute to his campaign? If you aren't valuable and/or there isn't a huge PR gain, he isn't going to do squat. He is worrying about trying to pass anything at this point let alone trying to help an insignificant part of the population. I don't mean to sound negative but its the truth. You have a much better chance of making change at the local level.

The first thing they do is check the list, how much did this group or individual contribute to the campaign. The response is directly proportional unless there is good PR from the cause.

Scott would be the one to reign in the archies but he wouldn't want to be seen favoring "the cultural looters and pirates" He'll stay away from this because there is no political upside in it for him.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The first thing they do is check the list, how much did this group or individual contribute to the campaign. The response is directly proportional unless there is good PR from the cause.

Scott would be the one to reign in the archies but he wouldn't want to be seen favoring "the cultural looters and pirates" He'll stay away from this because there is no political upside in it for him.

It is all about what gets in the eye of the public.
I know some folks in the treasure business and associated fields are excellent writers. There are a couple of dozen published authors I can think of. There are a whole bunch that are US Armed Forces veterans and some who are still on some form of active duty. Military service can still be leveraged for a good cause.
Yep..it's about PR...which can be something of a DIY grassroots thing. You just need good copy and a lofty sounding email address.
I'm up to my ass in alligators with the Cookout, getting the boat ready, managing 3 different projects, trying to make a couple of bucks selling boats, tools and dive gear so I can buy different boats, tools and dive gear and all that other stuff that comes around at this time of year but I'll fall in and help after we get some of these projects out of the way.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted for Donald and hope that he opens federal parks, beaches and other federal properties to treasure hunters.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Colombian Minister of Culture is a "she" (Mariana Garces). I have met Mrs Garces as well as Dr Ernesto Montenegro, Director of Cultural Patrimony, who is in charge of the submerge cultural patrimony program in Colombia. They are both great professionals and an example of how the government and private enterprise can cooperate on the issues of the recovery of historical shipwrecks. If I can help in this regard, please let me know. Colombia is in my opinion the perfect example of the future of our industry and how things should be done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions