The duck

Jan 21, 2013
melbourne
Detector(s) used
ace 250 ace 350 AT pro
Fischer gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200175255_1330490430685248_3897878227465916802_n.jpg Is this possible to be the 65th volunteers from new york it was found in australia on the goldfileds with a buckle 204225336_1330490420685249_1115297145235734055_n.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a very cool buckle!

I can’t find a match for the button, but I think it’s from the British 65th (2nd Yorkshire, North Riding) Regiment of Foot.

The 65th were detailed to provide the convict guard on six ships sailing from England to Hobart Town in Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) and two to Norfolk Island during August 1845 to May 1846. Having delivered the convicts they then proceeded to Sydney and were stationed there until disturbances broke out in the Wellington area of New Zealand. Most of the regiment was shipped to New Zealand during 1846 and fought at various times during the Maori Wars until their return to England in 1865.

Pretty much all of the Yorkshire regiments included “Yorkshire Volunteer” sections at this time. The regimental records for the 65th make reference to at least two “volunteer parties” patrolling in New Zealand in 1863: one led by Captain Gresson and another led by Captain Atkinson.

During their twenty years ‘down under’, more than 1,100 men left the regiment and settled there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked last night, but had power outages for a bit here. I don't think it's an American button. I would assume it also is British.

OP
OP
T

The duck

Jan 21, 2013
melbourne
Detector(s) used
ace 250 ace 350 AT pro
Fischer gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info i couldn't find a button just like it for the 65th regiment of foot but very possible love this forum very helpfull

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Trevor . Is there a maker's name on the back of the button ? Wow on the buckle Star of David Americian 1849 California Gold Rush Buckle . Only about 20 ever found . Big find Dave

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your buckle has a strong resemblance to this modern pendant from Leonard Short Designs:

Gold Rush.jpg

Leonard’s website provides this additional information:

This listing is for a very unique, hand-made pendant, designed for gold prospectors, relic hunters, metal detecting enthusiasts and history buffs in-general. The pendant is modeled from an actual California Gold Rush buckle that was lost by a forty-niner prospector in one of their gold mining camps during the Gold Rush era (1848-1855). I also know of at least one example of this style belt buckle that was recovered at a Civil War era Confederate States anthracite coal mine, so these obviously had appeal to miners of all types of minerals and were in use up through the Civil War. The original buckle was a dug relic, found with a metal detector in an actual gold mining camp. The model for this pendant was that actual two-piece gold rush miner's buckle just mentioned. I personally restored the buckle, which, although a very rare find, was damaged and needed professional restoration. These buckles are exceedingly rare and beautiful. They were designed specifically to capitalize on the gold mining frenzy and that common goal of folks traveling to the gold country to "strike it rich". The motif is a gold mining prospector with a shovel in one hand and a pick-axe on the ground beside the miner. His left hand is extended and I am assuming it is because he has a gold nugget in his outstretched hand. Also evident is the hilly gold country terrain, California vegetation, and centrally positioned 6-point star in the background sky.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your buckle has a strong resemblance to this modern pendant from Leonard Short Designs:

attachment.php

Leonard?s website provides this additional information:

This listing is for a very unique, hand-made pendant, designed for gold prospectors, relic hunters, metal detecting enthusiasts and history buffs in-general. The pendant is modeled from an actual California Gold Rush buckle that was lost by a forty-niner prospector in one of their gold mining camps during the Gold Rush era (1848-1855). I also know of at least one example of this style belt buckle that was recovered at a Civil War era Confederate States anthracite coal mine, so these obviously had appeal to miners of all types of minerals and were in use up through the Civil War. The original buckle was a dug relic, found with a metal detector in an actual gold mining camp. The model for this pendant was that actual two-piece gold rush miner's buckle just mentioned. I personally restored the buckle, which, although a very rare find, was damaged and needed professional restoration. These buckles are exceedingly rare and beautiful. They were designed specifically to capitalize on the gold mining frenzy and that common goal of folks traveling to the gold country to "strike it rich". The motif is a gold mining prospector with a shovel in one hand and a pick-axe on the ground beside the miner. His left hand is extended and I am assuming it is because he has a gold nugget in his outstretched hand. Also evident is the hilly gold country terrain, California vegetation, and centrally positioned 6-point star in the background sky.

Hi Red Coat great research, nick name for the buckle Star of David is referred by the Jewish Americian designer. Only 3 have been found inthe last ten years . Tim Gross , myself and this one by Trevor or someone known to him, Shame the contributions made by American Goldminers in the Australian history is sadly over looked. Must tbe part of a flag waving thing. AS Australian poetry Henry Lawson said. How can one paint a portrait of a goldrush and nee to be right. TP

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The duck

Jan 21, 2013
melbourne
Detector(s) used
ace 250 ace 350 AT pro
Fischer gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not found by me but some great finds coming out of this area Dave im pretty sure the button is a variant of the 65th regiment of foot This was also found should spark some American interest 200504994_1330963570637934_9022558729235915945_n.jpg

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not found by me but some great finds coming out of this area Dave im pretty sure the button is a variant of the 65th regiment of foot This was also found should spark some American interest
attachment.php

Hi , If you were to post these finds in today's finds you may attract more interest. Another nice find tp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions