What's new

Could this be a Triangle Point?

Buried Crap NJ

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
658
Reaction score
233
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this 46 years ago and have always thought it was an arrowhead of some kind. Found in NJ.
In person you can see flake spots on the side that was down but are smooth, the side that was exposed is pitted and worn.
I just thought to post it and get any thoughts.
steve
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3641.webp
    DSCN3641.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN3642.webp
    DSCN3642.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN3643.webp
    DSCN3643.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN3638.webp
    DSCN3638.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
Im not seeing any worked edges I think you may have what I call a fooler, some folks calls them fakers
 
no it isnt but I would of picked it up upon seeing it as well
 
I would say that it is a natural rock and not an arrowhead. JMO.
 
Faker.
I’ve been fooled many times.
Triangles are everywhere man.
 
Kinda looks like a water-worn tip.
 
Remember arrowheads are intended to cause max. bleeding (like modern archery broadheads).
A tip with such square edges would not penetrate very well.
 
I appreciate all the responces. While not questioning any feedback on this item. As I know nothing about this subject. I can hope that a point or tool starts as something other than the finished product. How many points were broke during their construction and left. How many were never finished and lefted or dropped? I have had this 46 years I'll hold on to it. I have now started the quest to find a point... I have a Paleo Prehistoric site just down the street from me,on private property. While the dig site is preserved and off limits, the area very near it is miles of public property! I will walk the trails first and then wonder off in search... I've been bit
 
I have to chime in here.
Like IMAUDIGGER said- to paraphrase: ‘square edges don’t penetrate’.
Nature makes piles of suspicious triangles all day long.
What you’re suggesting is that your triangle might be a pre-form. ——-It’s not. Those pitted and warn areas were not made by human hands.
In metal detecting terms, you might liken this to a beginner, who (on his first try) flips out a pull-tab. And, seeing it’s shape and size, puts it in his bag. He’s excited, and knows that this is the first of many silver rings to come.
 
Not a point (whole, broken, or unfinished.) It's a natural rock...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom