Could this be an agate?

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be an agate? It sure looks like one. :) It seems too good to be true. There are no big chips in the rock to get an idea of what it looks like on the inside.

Rock-WhatIsIt-03-11-2012-IMG_7000SSS.jpg

Rock-WhatIsIt-03-11-2012-IMG_7003SSS.jpg

Rock-WhatIsIt-03-11-2012-IMG_7005SSS.jpg

Rock-WhatIsIt-03-11-2012-IMG_7006SSS.jpg

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
I wouldn't call it an agate. Most likely it is the same inside as out.
It looks like a piece of stream polished Chalcedony. carnelian possibly.
Both agate and carnelian are types of Chalcedony, which is a type of crypto/micro-crystalline quartz.
How hard is it? Is it translucent? Looks like it has the correct concoidal fracture of chalcedony, but it has been worn down too much to tell for sure.
Rob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bajahunter said:
I wouldn't call it an agate. Most likely it is the same inside as out.
It looks like a piece of stream polished Chalcedony. carnelian possibly.
Both agate and carnelian are types of Chalcedony, which is a type of crypto/micro-crystalline quartz.
How hard is it? Is it translucent? Looks like it has the correct concoidal fracture of chalcedony, but it has been worn down too much to tell for sure.
Rob

Hi Rob,
The rock is translucent. It has conchoidal fracture. It's very hard. I have not exactly done a hardness test, I have little doubt it is some form of quartz. It has the look of agates I found at the same location, just no visible banding. So basically you think there is sufficient wear on this rock that it should show some banding already if it's an agate? It makes sense. I was thinking the bubbled look of the side shown in the first pic made it looks like it could have some banding there. Thanks for your thoughts on this rock.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does resemble agate from the outside, but you sometimes need to take a slice (cut it) to see any quality on the inside. I can't think of the name of agate that is found in Minnesota and the Great Lakes area, but your's does have that quality reddish tint. It's not a large specimen, but it may have some value if it has that nice red interior.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger said:
It does resemble agatefrom the outside, but you sometimes need to take a slice (cut it) to see any quality on the inside. I can't think of the name of agate that is found in Minnesota and the Great Lakes area, but your's does have that quality reddish tint. It's not a large specimen, but it may have some value if it has that nice red interior.

Hi old digger,

I believe the name you are thinking of is "Lake Superior agate". It's our state gemstone. :) The red color is from iron. I have been finding a good number of these lately. I think it is fair to say that I am currently obsessed with finding them. :)

Bajahunter made some good points, though I could see cutting the rock being the only way to know for certain. I may ask at some rock shops and see if there's someone willing to cut this one for me.

If I do find someone who can cut this, any suggestions? Part of me thinks along the long side, giving the largest viewing area. That is a trade off as it would mean having 2 smaller pieces instead of one bigger one.

Happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just sawing off some ends before will show what direction would be best if it has any banding at all. :)

Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Baja has it. It's the same rock as agate, but didn't have the depositional history characteristic of agate. It would show up in the 25 cent bin at Moose Lake, so you're not losing much by polishing it; think of it as gaining knowledge, plus having some fun!

I wish I lived in agate country, but I'd probably spend too much time at it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread