Counterfeit Capped Bust Quarter..Help!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went out to a pretty old field site of mine and found a few Large Cents and what I thought was a half cent. It turns out it is a counterfeit bust quarter. The newest coin found out at the site was 1845, with most stuff from the 1820's.

I have found a bunch of info on capped bust half dollar counterfeits but next to nothing when it comes to quarters.
It is made of copper and I can't see a date due to the hole in the coin. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• capped 1.jpg
    capped 1.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 118
  • capped 2.jpg
    capped 2.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 19

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is awesome!!! I found a counterfeit 1875 Seated Dime that was period. I like counterfeits. I hope someone has some info I’d like to hear about your coin. Congratulations

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really great find! I'd put that in the once in a lifetime type of find category! Congrats!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What’s remarkable about that coin is that it’s been holed, which would have been an obvious giveaway if it were counterfeit. Yet the edge from holing it appears to be silver. Maybe it’s just the lighting and filters that make it look silvery but I’d be interested to see the weight of that coin.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's better than the real thing cool find

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a cool find. Probably tougher to find than a real one and we all know how rare they are

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If in fact it is a counterfeit or just possibly a reproduction from the early to mid-1800's, it was likely made as a jewelry piece to hang from a necklace. The piece would have likely been worn to show the Eagle upright as folks were very patriotic during those times and loved to wear things with our' National Emblem and show them off proudly.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If in fact it is a counterfeit or just possibly a reproduction from the early to mid-1800's, it was likely made as a jewelry piece to hang from a necklace. The piece would have likely been worn to show the Eagle upright as folks were very patriotic during those times and loved to wear things with our' National Emblem and show them off proudly.

That would make sense

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread