What's new

Counterfeit mistake? Or treasury error?

Norml99

Greenie
Joined
Mar 3, 2018
Messages
14
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Buckeye, az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across this 1 dollar bill and noticed on the back is double stamped with $20 Jefferson with a serial #. I'm thinking it is a counterfeiting error. But would love your input
 

Attachments

  • 20220623_012407.webp
    20220623_012407.webp
    838.9 KB · Views: 281
  • 20220623_012359.webp
    20220623_012359.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • 20220623_012430.webp
    20220623_012430.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 260
  • 20220623_012441.webp
    20220623_012441.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
That's interesting, I would go to a local coin shop and get it checked out. I wouldn't sell it to them if it's a authentic error (if that's your intention). I've heard dealers won't pay you nowhere near what a collector would.
 
It's in the style of the old $20 too. Looks like a legit print error to me.
 
Surprised others have not responded to this. I'm curious if it's a error.
 
Not sure about this one. If it were a print error then the $20 Treasury seal would be green, not black. And it only covers 1/3rd of the note. I'd be tempted to say someone just printed it with a laser printer. Take a Q-tip dipped in acetone and test it... acetone will remove laser toner but not Treasury ink.
 
If this is an off-set from an actual $20, the image would be reversed. In my opinion, this would have to be an after mint tampering. I agree with Carl. I would think this was done on a printer at home.
 
Appears to be someone experimenting with proper alignment and size on a home laser jet printer. Maybe they were attempting to play and "reprint" a bill sometime later when the ink was removed from the one dollar bill. I noticed the dark lines top and bottom on the double sided side.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom