What's new

Counterfiet Walking Liberty...?

FingerGrime said:
Maybe someone just ground it with a sander or something.

That was my first impression...angle grinder,...it weighs 10.5 grams, does appear to be Ag, and is the correct diameter, I'm not sure if it'd be possible for a coin to only be struck on one side...maybe one of the "experts" here have more info
 
Definately gotta go with a grinded half. If it has the silver "ring" to it when you flick/flip it, etc. Then it is definately silver.

It's 10.5 G compared to a normal Walker at 12.5 G... gotta go with a grinded down walker.

~Dave
 
Looks like someone ground it down and was getting it ready to make a "love token" out of it.
 
Mainedigger said:
Looks like someone ground it down and was getting it ready to make a "love token" out of it.
Thats my guess 2. And since you were the lucky one to find it its up to you to finish the job. Better bone up on your caligraphy. HH Mark
 
There is such an error that only one side gets stamped, its called a brockage error. What happens is that the previous coin struck stays on the die and then this coin would slide into place. When the two dies come back together only the one die will imprint.

Your coin I would say is not that error. If it was that type of error the coin would still weigh the proper amount. Yours sure seems like POST mint done.

Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
There is such an error that only one side gets stamped, its called a brockage error. What happens is that the previous coin struck stays on the die and then this coin would slide into place. When the two dies come back together only the one die will imprint.

Your coin I would say is not that error. If it was that type of error the coin would still weigh the proper amount. Yours sure seems like POST mint done.

Jason

Not only that, there would be an impression from the coin stuck to the die.

I've gotten one of the oP's coins before. The fron was normal with the date (which I believe is the reason why the back is ground off, so the coin is still dated). Then the back was ground flat and had an engraving in it. Never thought of calling it a love coin, but it had two first names, a location (Macinac Island SPELLING??), and a date (sometime in the early forties).

Ultimately, I threw it in with my 64 kennedies.
 
I've gotten one of the oP's coins before. The fron was normal with the date (which I believe is the reason why the back is ground off, so the coin is still dated). Then the back was ground flat and had an engraving in it. Never thought of calling it a love coin, but it had two first names, a location (Macinac Island SPELLING??), and a date (sometime in the early forties).

Ultimately, I threw it in with my 64 kennedies.
[/quote]Well dig it back out. There are people who collect them and my pay good money for it. HH Mark
Personally I'm looking for a hobo half.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom