Ed-NH
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Feb 4, 2006
- Messages
- 1,372
- Reaction score
- 37
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this should be posted here, if not please move it to the appropriate area
Here is a close up of the King George II copper I posted a couple days ago. I am thinking that it may be a counterfit. They forged KG's a lot in the colonies. Some were stamped and others were cast. Sometimes you can see the cast vent and fill areas on the rim edges.
This one is quite thick, has a rough cast finish, very 'worn' appearance but the rough cast is crisp, it is mis-shapen and you can see the file marks around the rim edges. There is a dot on the obverse at 10:00 and 3:00 just to the right and left of the head respectively. Im am not sure what they are but could be stamp or casting defects. The date appears to be 1754 or 34 which falls in line with a KG II although lots of times they put only part of the date on them to make them look worn. Any thoughts on this? It just does not look like any of my other ones. Thought you may find this interesting. I can get you more pics if necessary 8)
Ed-
I'm not sure if this should be posted here, if not please move it to the appropriate area

Here is a close up of the King George II copper I posted a couple days ago. I am thinking that it may be a counterfit. They forged KG's a lot in the colonies. Some were stamped and others were cast. Sometimes you can see the cast vent and fill areas on the rim edges.
This one is quite thick, has a rough cast finish, very 'worn' appearance but the rough cast is crisp, it is mis-shapen and you can see the file marks around the rim edges. There is a dot on the obverse at 10:00 and 3:00 just to the right and left of the head respectively. Im am not sure what they are but could be stamp or casting defects. The date appears to be 1754 or 34 which falls in line with a KG II although lots of times they put only part of the date on them to make them look worn. Any thoughts on this? It just does not look like any of my other ones. Thought you may find this interesting. I can get you more pics if necessary 8)
Ed-
Attachments
Upvote
0

of the King George coppers in the colones in the mid 1750's were counterfit. I am very fortunate to live in NH and for the opportunity to hunt on local properties of such generous folks. This piece will proudly be displayed in my token display case but with a powerful story to be told 8) Thanks again for all your help.






