What's new

county seal

jhamner

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
646
Reaction score
729
Golden Thread
0
I guess this may not be the proper venue, because this is a re-find from today rather than a today's find.
Anyhow, I purchased this seal at a tiny flea market in Amherst County, Virginia several years ago. I then proceeded to put it away in a "safe place" so that I could retrieve it when needed. Well, that "safe place" turned out to be really safe, because it has been lost for going on 8-10 years! I just now found it today while cleaning up the dungeon, or rather the basement.
What it appears to be is a silver document seal from around 1800 from when Monroe County was still part of Virginia. There appears to have once been something inscribed on the banner in the eagle's mouth which at some point in time was removed--for what reason I am not sure.
When I initially found the seal, I contacted the Monroe County, West Virginia Historical Society and they agreed that it was in fact, an official county seal of some sort. Unfortunately no documents have turned up with a copy of this seal affixed, but the Historical Society did borrow the seal and incorporate a likeness of it onto their bicentennial coin of several years ago.
I'm not exactly sure what to do with this piece, but I'm strongly considering donating it to the Monroe County Historical Society so that it can return to it's original residence of some 200 plus years ago.
P.S.--handle appears to be a recent addition.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6562.webp
    IMG_6562.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6563.webp
    IMG_6563.webp
    685.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6564.webp
    IMG_6564.webp
    639.3 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 26
It doesn't look like an embossing seal. Have you tried it with ink on a piece of paper? It seems like silver would be too soft and wear quickly but maybe it is. Gary
 
It doesn't look like an embossing seal. Have you tried it with ink on a piece of paper? It seems like silver would be too soft and wear quickly but maybe it is. Gary
No I haven't,,,,,,,,,,,I've only tried it with sealing wax, and it makes a good impression with that.
 
That is really cool! :icon_thumleft:
 
Beautiful seal JH, Congrats no matter how you got it!!! "D"
 
I agrre very nice relic
 
What a beautiful, old piece of Americana! I'd like to see your wax sample! I'm sure your Historical Society would be proud to display it, for all others to enjoy too! Ddf.
 
What a beautiful, old piece of Americana! I'd like to see your wax sample! I'm sure your Historical Society would be proud to display it, for all others to enjoy too! Ddf.

Thanks so much, Ddf--I will try and post a pic of the wax.
 
Very interesting fleemarket find. Congrats
 
Thanks so much, Ddf--I will try and post a pic of the wax.

I wasn't able to get a wax impression that showed up clearly on camera, but here's what it looks like on the bicentennial coin they had cast from the original seal.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6567.webp
    IMG_6567.webp
    657.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6568.webp
    IMG_6568.webp
    599.7 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom