jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I guess this may not be the proper venue, because this is a re-find from today rather than a today's find.
Anyhow, I purchased this seal at a tiny flea market in Amherst County, Virginia several years ago. I then proceeded to put it away in a "safe place" so that I could retrieve it when needed. Well, that "safe place" turned out to be really safe, because it has been lost for going on 8-10 years! I just now found it today while cleaning up the dungeon, or rather the basement.
What it appears to be is a silver document seal from around 1800 from when Monroe County was still part of Virginia. There appears to have once been something inscribed on the banner in the eagle's mouth which at some point in time was removed--for what reason I am not sure.
When I initially found the seal, I contacted the Monroe County, West Virginia Historical Society and they agreed that it was in fact, an official county seal of some sort. Unfortunately no documents have turned up with a copy of this seal affixed, but the Historical Society did borrow the seal and incorporate a likeness of it onto their bicentennial coin of several years ago.
I'm not exactly sure what to do with this piece, but I'm strongly considering donating it to the Monroe County Historical Society so that it can return to it's original residence of some 200 plus years ago.
P.S.--handle appears to be a recent addition.

Attachments

• IMG_6562.JPG
    IMG_6562.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6563.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6564.JPG
    IMG_6564.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Upvote 13

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't look like an embossing seal. Have you tried it with ink on a piece of paper? It seems like silver would be too soft and wear quickly but maybe it is. Gary

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
It doesn't look like an embossing seal. Have you tried it with ink on a piece of paper? It seems like silver would be too soft and wear quickly but maybe it is. Gary
No I haven't,,,,,,,,,,,I've only tried it with sealing wax, and it makes a good impression with that.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful seal JH, Congrats no matter how you got it!!! "D"

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agrre very nice relic

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful, old piece of Americana! I'd like to see your wax sample! I'm sure your Historical Society would be proud to display it, for all others to enjoy too! Ddf.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
What a beautiful, old piece of Americana! I'd like to see your wax sample! I'm sure your Historical Society would be proud to display it, for all others to enjoy too! Ddf.

Thanks so much, Ddf--I will try and post a pic of the wax.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks so much, Ddf--I will try and post a pic of the wax.

I wasn't able to get a wax impression that showed up clearly on camera, but here's what it looks like on the bicentennial coin they had cast from the original seal.

Attachments

• IMG_6567.JPG
    IMG_6567.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6568.JPG
    IMG_6568.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread