What's new

Couple of back to back late night hunts with a relic hunt in between. Gold Ring#28

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
3,199
Golden Thread
1
Location
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The night before last I hit the beach figuring I'll have a quick hunt and then still get some sleep before the next day as I had a dirt hunt scheduled in the AM. When I got to the beach around 2130 it looked BAD, no real slope, kinda flat and wide......I figured this will be even quicker than I though..........I couldn't have been more wrong.

I moved further down and could see some small rocks and debris in spots on the beach and one washout spot that was a bit lower and had some larger rocks and the peat/clay layer showing that is below the first layer of sand. The beach here was flat too but it you could tell that it was lower and had more sand pulled away. Targets were everywhere on the slope and washouts but few in the water. The hunt slowly turned from being "just a quick one" to me dragging my kiester off the beach at 0330 and hitting the rack by 0400. The best of it for this hunt 5 rings, 3 SS junkers (and that one HUGE one looked great in the scoop at first...) 1 x pretty silver ring with fake ice and a small little 14K at 1.6 grams to squeak in another one before the year is out, Gold Ring #28. There was also a small flat cuff button some junk jewelry and one small silver earring.

20161213_035512.webp20161213_035519.webp20161213_035547.webp20161213_035612.webpDocBeav 2016 Gold Ring #28.webp

I was up a couple hours later at 0800 and went out to meet a buddy Steve to hunt a permission site he has at an old farm that had some small amount of civil war activity. We hunted there from about 1000 to 1700 and called it a day. Steve found a great looking flat button with an eagle on it and I came home with a buffalo nickel, a plow-struck gold plated ring and a cool brass piece that I wast told would have been on a sword scabbard and allowed it to hand from a belt. If that's what it is, not sure if its Federal or Confederate but it's pretty cool, first one for me.

20161213_184355.webp20161213_184400.webp20161213_184409.webp20161213_184420.webp20161213_184426.webp20161213_184431.webp

After I got home and finally did all the clean up and photos of the two hunts I still had a little bit of steam left to go back out to the same beach and have another go at some of the low spots from the previous night. Conditions were very different in just 24 hours and some of the sand had moved back in and filled in most of the spots. This time was much quicker with less to dig and I only stayed out from 1230 to 0230 with some more clad, a wheat penny and a big silver band as the best of it from this hunt. Oh, and a fresh unopened high-end Busch Lite that I enjoyed while putting all my kit away.

20161214_025319.webp20161214_025446.webp

It was a great 24 hours and even after some more sleep last night, I'm still dragging a bit....may take the day off today, I think the family has forgotten who I am!

Good luck to everyone and to Mark S on his contest for how much gold he's gotten this year....my official guess would be "a major-crap-load" !
 
Upvote 22
That's some nice hunts Doc! Gz on the gold and silver!! And a huge high-five on the beer save:occasion14:
 
Nice hunt Doc! You found some very fine jewelry pieces. :occasion14:
 
Nice digging Doc!! You going to break your gold ring record this year?
 
Those are some nice looking rings.
 
Nice digging Doc!! You going to break your gold ring record this year?

Already did buddy! Believe I had 22 last year.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom