What's new

Couple pieces over the weekend

captain redbeard

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2015
Messages
580
Reaction score
1,038
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some field walking in this past weekend. Got a nice little point, small scraper and a "what is it". The unknown piece looks like some kind of spokeshave and it appears both ends are ground down. Not sure if the notched part is the shave part or if thats a thumb grip and shaver is on the end (fits in my hand perfect theory, theres also a divot where index finger sits)
 

Attachments

  • 1476726409404.webp
    1476726409404.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 1476726418892.webp
    1476726418892.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 1476726433685.webp
    1476726433685.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 1476726441914.webp
    1476726441914.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 1476726453114.webp
    1476726453114.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
Nice point, looks like basalt maybe?
 
Nice finds good to do some walking and finding.
 
Nice point and worked pieces. I do not know of them putting divots in flint to hold but if a flake or broke could be used again it most likely was.
 
Very nice point. Im just now learning some things on a few pieces I find. For example the big flat one you are holding is Debitage unless it has been worked on the edges. I still pick them up though. Even the more square one is probably a discarded piece. Looks like you had a fun day.
 
I really think that notch on the side was put there which is why I was thinking spokeshave, though I've never found one that I know of, but that's the main use I could come up with. I also believe that the ends are ground, but I'm not sure why they would have ground each end, I'm fairly certain they are ground though. The end in picture 4 shows a little part of the brown part flattened out with the rest of the end. You may be right though rock, my imagination gets the best of me especially when its been a while :laughing7:
 
Nice hunt red. I really like the point
 
I really think that notch on the side was put there which is why I was thinking spokeshave, though I've never found one that I know of, but that's the main use I could come up with. I also believe that the ends are ground, but I'm not sure why they would have ground each end, I'm fairly certain they are ground though. The end in picture 4 shows a little part of the brown part flattened out with the rest of the end. You may be right though rock, my imagination gets the best of me especially when its been a while :laughing7:

I went today and found some flakes but these show 2ndary flaking on the edges but are damaged. Creek is so low now I wouldnt doubt that I actually stepped on them when the water was high.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom