Covered Bridge Fest+garage sale=super score, 1982 Crown CSC-950F Ghetto Blaster!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While stopping at a group of garage sales on our way to the Covered Bridge Festival I stumbled upon a sale with a teen age kid selling a pretty darn rare 1982 Crown CSC- 950F "ghetto blaster / boom box" for $5! So I handed the kid $5 without any hesitation! It's a single cassette, built in double "bunny ears type" antenna with an external antenna input as well, FM + choice of 3 different AM bands (short, medium & long wave). Also has external inputs/outputs on the side for phono, remote, AC & DC, mic, ground, speakers & a switch for multiple types of AC current. It's in great shape, has the original power cord, battery cover & works as it should.

I couldn't believe finding one of these vintage Crowns in the wild for $5. Let alone one that worked & looked good. Broken ones go for $125-$150 shipped on the bay. Crowns this nice are worth or better said are bringing $250 to upwards of $400. :hello2: BTW I love the 2 vintage red meter lights on front!

DSC02305.JPG DSC02308.JPG DSC02307.JPG DSC02304.JPG

Last edited:

ShOwStOpp3r

Sep 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for 5 bucks id snatch that too....you can always use a nice radio

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard_sale.gif
Nice buys (and they sure don't make them like that anymore) inspectorgadget. Thanks for sharing...

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
While stopping at a group of garage sales on our way to the Covered Bridge Festival I stumbled upon a sale with a teen age kid selling a pretty darn rare 1982 Crown CSC- 950F "ghetto blaster / boom box" for $5! So I handed the kid $5 without any hesitation! It's a single cassette, built in double "bunny ears type" antenna with an external antenna input as well, FM + choice of 3 different AM bands (short, medium & long wave). Also has external inputs/outputs on the side for phono, remote, AC & DC, mic, ground, speakers & a switch for multiple types of AC current. It's in great shape, has the original power cord, battery cover & works as it should.

I couldn't believe finding one of these vintage Crowns in the wild for $5. Let alone one that worked & looked good. Broken ones go for $125-$150 shipped on the bay. Crowns this nice are worth or better said are bringing $250 to upwards of $400. :hello2: BTW I love the 2 vintage red meter lights on front!

View attachment 880786 View attachment 880787 View attachment 880788 View attachment 880789
Woah back to the early 80's who has some Fatboys to throw in the mix?

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah back to the early 80's who has some Fatboys to throw in the mix?

Funny you say that! Last week I got a box full of about 50 vintage 80's rap cassettes for free. Fat Boys, Skinny Boys, Ice T, Run DMC, Gucci Crew II, Whodini, Boogie Down Productions, LL Cool J, Rob Base, NWA, Easy E, Too Short, Public Enemy, the Colors + Less than Zero Soundtracks & on & on & on.

Might make a package deal up & make some nice $$ off that stuff together! BTW I'm listening to the Crown as I type this, it really sounds great for what it is! Can't really turn the volume up past 35% & at that level its very loud for an old boom box. I think it's way over powered in order to run external speakers as well as the built ins.

Picture 11.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learned something new to watch for, thanks and congratulations.

T.

Be weary of some of the older low quality brands, only some brands are valuable. The bigger ones almost always have some value but condition is a big factor as well! The rarer the better of course! Crowns are about as rare as they come & from what I remember they were quite expensive compared to other brands back in the 80's.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...a box full of about 50 vintage 80's rap cassettes for free. Fat Boys, Skinny Boys, Ice T, Run DMC, Gucci Crew II, Whodini, Boogie Down Productions, LL Cool J, Rob Base, NWA, Easy E, Too Short, Public Enemy, the Colors + Less than Zero Soundtracks & on & on & on.

I am proud to say I lived thru the 80's and have not heard of any of them. I couldn't even name a band from right now unless I heard about it on the morning news with an overdose story attached.

bubba4289

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that be Matthew's covered bridge festival by chance? I live near there lol.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that be Matthew's covered bridge festival by chance? I live near there lol.

Nope it's not Matthew's, it's the Park County Covered Bridge Festival in west central Indiana (about 45 minutes west of Indianapolis).

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Be weary of some of the older low quality brands, only some brands are valuable. The bigger ones almost always have some value but condition is a big factor as well! The rarer the better of course! Crowns are about as rare as they come & from what I remember they were quite expensive compared to other brands back in the 80's.

Could you let us know what some of the brands are to look for? I never even thought about old boom boxes. I will start to look for a crown, but I am always on the hunt for something good (and I see old boomers all the time).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread