Covering Ground...My Secret Technique Revealed.

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Appreciate your response, BB. In all counts your are right about what it's going to take to find a pile of silver coins in one year's time. You've mentioned location (yes, there are many parks within my locale that hold silver coins), free time(yes, I've had all the time in the world to dedicate to detecting this year), and a great machine(yes, the Explorer series of detectors will get the job done on deep coinage). One thing that needs to be mentioned also is a person's abilities to master their detector, and their hunting style...you could say simply that the more you go out and hunt with your machine, the better you will become, thus the more you will find. That's not necessarily true....let me give you an analogy....take two guys who want to take up the sport of golf....both golfers buy the same set of $1500 clubs. They both put about the same amount of hours a week in practicing their swing at the driving range, along with playing a 9 or 18 hole course at least twice a month. At the end of the year, one of the golfers is shooting consistently in the upper 80's, while the other golfer is consistently shooting in the high 90's. What I'm trying to say is that there are a number of other factors that will affect a persons abilities to be successful at a hobby, sport, etc. It's not so cut and dry.

I guess we can call them "intangibles". So two people with the same detector, same amount of hunting time, and same location more than likely will have different amounts of old coinage at the end of the year. You could say it was just luck that one person ended up with more oldies than the other did....Or it might have been that one person simply mastered his machine faster than the other person did. One md'er was set in his ways or was used to a different type of detector for so long that it was difficult to learn a different way of detecting.....there are so many possibilities...one can never know.

That's why I enjoy this hobby so much. I hunt for the deep/old items because that is my passion. When a person is passionate about anything in life, the sky's the limit on his performance and success.

Thanks again everyone...
Dan
CAPTN SE

Happy Twinkle Musically Delicious Christmas Candy BuckleToes said:
To all that asked for the "secret"... The "secret" is not how much you dance with the detector, or do backflips, or anything else...the "secret" to finding that much silver is location. Having sites that are expansive enough, with enough silver still in them, and enough free time to go detectin several times a week at least, and having a machine capable of getting the deep silvers. Simple as that. The Captn himself said in his reply above that this year's silver total would probably not be equalled in the future--because the sites begin to give less and less. I know that you're one hell of a coin shooter, Captn. No one can argue that. And I enjoyed your video a great deal. But to be honest, if you stood on your head and strapped the machine to your feet I wouldn't copy your technique. We've all gotta go with what works for us. So I'll stick with what works for me--and I won't share those secrets ;)

One thing is for sure--you'll be alive and diggin' silver at age 90 with all that exercise. ;) :D

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
This type of situation arised in another forum....where people could not understand how some people could find more...or different types of things...

Obviously the guys like Crusader by far have the best finds...but here...people get all excited about silver dimes worth a dollar in melt! Seems a dollar worth of clad is worth the same...sure silver is better than clad... but than gold is better than silver... How about the water guys that find the gold jewelry they easily beat out in value anyone finding ...clad...silver... Then there are relic hunters....to me here where I an...a relic is almost unheard of...

Also as dan mentioned there is more then putting two guys in a field for the same length of time... Being in shape to bend for at least a few hours...medical conditions...all kinds of other factors... I would say hearing is major...no matter how loud you have your threshold or volume control...if you do not hear and investigate alot of the breaks in threshold you will miss out...

Having watched several people over the summer... I saw a guy moving faster than Dan...he maybe had 1/50th of his skill...think I saw him dig a couple targets...actually watched him a few times and for fun followed his general area after he left and made several recoveries... Saw another guy that would dig a target spent 5-10 minutes looking at it...probably wasting a ton of time trying to figure out the date....

So I would say sure it makes amajor difference based on skill, as mentioned depth of detector, and a mixture of everything else including location and soil conditions...

Kirk to answer your question of course how could you not see someone digging a plug that is 6 to 7 inches deep and the coin is even deeper... I am going to keep the dfx try all the programs I have been sent...and then if I do not start seeing some depth of 7 to 8 inches I am buying an se...hope that answers your question.... Why would I be satisfied going up to 6.5 with the amount of time and effort I put in? I just wish the se was lighter...(that is one thing the f-75 has over it) also I have already accumulated a quite a few White's accessories...makes it hard to switch over... I do not want to be one of these guys that switches detectors every month...all joking aside...the se appears to be the superior machine...if you have or acquire the skills...

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's my take:

First forget about how fast he's going, that's not the secret....
Second ignore the leg movements... Not it...
Hopping around..?... Nope...
Recovery speed..?... That's just his personal preference.

This man is obviously "ONE" with his detector!
He's not consciencely moving in any direction, he is flowing with the sound.
He know's her "Happy Voice" and is at peace in her endless chattering.
As Kirk said he is ignoring the Fa and embracing the Ag. (He knows the Oneness...)
As a humble student, I have not yet achieved the enlightenment of my DFX's outer voice...
Only through openmindness and love of shiny things will I attain it.

Greg (gmstreet)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
gmstreet said:
Okay, here's my take:

First forget about how fast he's going, that's not the secret....
Second ignore the leg movements... Not it...
Hopping around..?... Nope...
Recovery speed..?... That's just his personal preference.

This man is obviously "ONE" with his detector!
He's not consciencely moving in any direction, he is flowing with the sound.
He know's her "Happy Voice" and is at peace in her endless chattering.
As Kirk said he is ignoring the Fa and embracing the Ag. (He knows the Oneness...)
As a humble student, I have not yet achieved the enlightenment of my DFX's outer voice...
Only through openmindness and love of shiny things will I attain it.

Greg (gmstreet)

Well...if your dfx is like mine...that deeper voice has not come out yet! I have been checking faint, loud, soft, all signals... I can clearly see by the depth of his plugs I am not getting signals that deep.... hopefully you are! I saw a guy on another forum told me he was getting hits from 11 to 15 inches with his dfx!!! I congratulated him on the deepest seeking dfx I have heard of. 90% of the people I talk to in private messages...openly admit with the newer Whites detectors...anything over 7.0 is very rare...of course this will draw a few that claim deeper...anything you say on these forums always does! I have been over on the board Captain se mainly posts on......and honestly there are a lot of explorer users there claiming lots of silver and deep hits......and seeing I may get a second detector and it may be an Explorer thought it would be a good board to just lurk on...doubt they would be interested in the clad finds when they are all posting silver all the time! :D

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a heck of a time convincing my wife to part with the savings for the DFX. However deep it will detect it still would never detect deep enough to find where she buried my body, if I told her I wanted a better detector. :o
No sir!!, the DFX is deep enough!!! :D

Greg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
gmstreet said:
I had a heck of a time convincing my wife to part with the savings for the DFX. However deep it will detect it still would never detect deep enough to find where she buried my body, if I told her I wanted a better detector. :o

Greg

Hey the best way to do it is...get out there and make it pay for itself...I did...of course hopefully you live in an area that it will pay for itself...good luck! Gregg

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
DFX-Gregg said:
gmstreet said:

Greg

Hey the best way to do it is...get out there and make it pay for itself...I did...of course hopefully you live in an area that it will pay for itself...good luck! Gregg

Gregg,

It is about the oldies. I paid for my detector with a couple finds this year...my GW Halfpenny and the Company B hat pin. You put too much effort into "paying for your machine." Just go with the flow and you will find one coin or ring that will pay for your machine twice over. Just my advice, dude.

BDD...Kirk

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
DFX-Gregg said:
gmstreet said:

Greg

Gregg,

It is about the oldies. I paid for my detector with a couple finds this year...my GW Halfpenny and the Company B hat pin. You put too much effort into "paying for your machine." Just go with the flow and you will find one coin or ring that will pay for your machine twice over. Just my advice, dude.

BDD...Kirk

Ok Kirk...I know for you it is all about the oldies...but there are a lot of valued items to be found...do you thing all the beach hunters would agree with you? Tell someone like the Bulgarian that is finding gold rings one recently appraised at $2000...that it is all about the oldies... Kirk maybe you are thinking within a small area... The paying for itself goal was just one goal for me...the clad I found paid for my detector...and the jewelry I found this year paid for my detector again.. and the stories to Whites got me an extra $300 in accessories...so I don't think I did to bad for my first year back in 20 years... Remember I was a coinshooter back with my old 6000...and silver was a lot easier to find back then...but I am not going to complain about a year that with clad, jewelry and free accessories put me over a few thousand...I will take that....spend the winter fine tuning and learning programs..and go at it again next year... Hunting 9 months out of the year...I think I did ok... :)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
DFX-Gregg,

I thought you ignored me? :D I am not downing any dudes style, but when you refer to this clad, it just makes me wonder, why you only focus on the newer coins? I would advise you to stop thinking about paying your machine off in one year...when you think about doing that, in clad finds, it becomes more of a job. Just go with the flow and your machine will pay for itself in no time, plus you have more fun. :D

My older brother, Derek a.k.a. Dawood, who isn't into detecting and knows nothing about it, said, "Why would someone look for newer coins? I don't get it."

Gregg, I know of a guy who has found 639 wilvers this year...all in parks! The wilver is still there, but it takes time, patience, and some understanding of one's machine. :)

DFX, whatever floats your metal detecting boat. Keep searching!

BDD...Kirk

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
DFX-Gregg,

I thought you ignored me? :D I am not downing any dudes style, but when you refer to this clad, it just makes me wonder, why you only focus on the newer coins? I would advise you to stop thinking about paying your machine off in one year...when you think about doing that, in clad finds, it becomes more of a job. Just go with the flow and your machine will pay for itself in no time, plus you have more fun. :D

My older brother, Derek a.k.a. Dawood, who isn't into detecting and knows nothing about it, said, "Why would someone look for newer coins? I don't get it."

Gregg, I know of a guy who has found 639 wilvers this year...all in parks! The wilver is still there, but it takes time, patience, and some understanding of one's machine. :)

DFX, whatever floats your metal detecting boat. Keep searching!

BDD...Kirk

Kirk...I have you on ignore... it simply says ignore user...but if I see a response to something I wrote i check it...if it makes sense I respond if it does not...I just slip the ignore user back on...ok guess where you are now....click.... :D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Dan... post your Elf Dance here too!!!
We need to compare it to your Secret Technic. ;)

Your videos are really cool, keep em coming.

Greg and Kirk...take it outside boys ;D ;D

Smiles!
BDoo

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Boobydoo said:
Dan... post your Elf Dance here too!!!
We need to compare it to your Secret Technic. ;)

Your videos are really cool, keep em coming.

Greg and Kirk...take it outside boys ;D ;D

Smiles!
BDoo

Believe me this is all fun... I would never take anything in here to serious! ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
KirkPA said:
Gregg, I wish you a great 2008 metal detecting season. Go find 20,000 next year! :D :)

BDD...Kirk

Thanks...odd Whites does not have a pic of a dfx hipmounted or an xlt....hard to sell things to a customer when you do not have a pic to show.... I did receive a few other pics on forums as well as yours...probably will do it...hipmount....

Best of luck to you also...I know my back would not hold up for 20,000! Another snow storm today....no hunting for me since Dec 4th ground here has been a layer of snow covered with a layer of ice...today another 3-6 inches hitting us right now....looks like I will be ending year with 11,533 coins in 9 out of the 12 months this year I was able to hunt...wanted to hit 12,000...

K

Kentucky Kache

Dfx, with all these people disagreeing with you, I'm wondering if you're sending disrespectful Pm's too them, like you did to me. And just for disagreeing with you. Sad.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
jbot no Elf said:
Dfx, with all these people disagreeing with you, I'm wondering if you're sending disrespectful Pm's too them, like you did to me. And just for disagreeing with you. Sad.

If I sent you a disrespectful pm I am sure you #1 misunderstood it was a joke....#2 normal reaction would have been to say ha ha or whatever and discussed the matter...which in this case I believe was animal abuse you wrote a few very opinionated responses here it is... not me... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102558.msg907095.html#msg907095
As far as the se users I used to go back and forth with, would talk in private messages and joke about the forum posts and sometimes keep it going for amusement! ;) As you can or should get the joke here...the videos...were for laughs....you get it...dancing/metal detecting... ::)

I take metal detecting as a hobby and have alot more going on to get to crazy about a hobby sorry...have a good x-mas...oh and I do not send nasty private messages to Dan. ;) And if this was a way to try to continue your opinion about they are just animals here...if you feel the need go ahead...have the last word...this is also my last response to you about that subject..just not interested in arguing with you...have the last word and enjoy ...I will not read or respond... :) Oh but if you do feel the need to keep arguing you have elf in your name...here you go! :D http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,125813.0.html

K

Kentucky Kache

Quote from: DFX-Gregg on Dec 11, 2007, 10:39:14 AM
We have kids dying every day overseas to defend our rights and laws...

Exactly. So why do we waist our time worrying over dogs?

That was my last post BEFORE your pm to me.

Okay, NOW I'm done with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread