Covering Ground...My Secret Technique Revealed.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Bull Durham said:
gold fish said:
Kinda like the legend of drunken master.....interesting...............

Can I call it the drunk silver tango ?? I'm gonna give it a try next time, it's REALLY hard to argue with your numbers.

I'll second that motion...
Wow, at first I thought you were joking and I was trying to figure out exactly what technique it is that he was using.
Then I think I figured it out. He is busting those coins out because he is not just moving in one direction, but going back over the
same ground until he gets a signal. He is definately very animated and I think that technique will keep most people from bothering to
ask..."Find Anything".
Great video. Sorry, I am not making fun of the video, it is just very comical to see Dan move like that.
I have watched it over and over and still get the same chuckle.
If it is bringing you more coins, by all means keep on keepin on!
Thanks for letting your secret out of the Bag Captn.
HH
Rob

Yup.

BDD...Kirk

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Ahh yes.. the Drunken Detector Technique.. I know it well. <laughing> Actually that kind of looks like me in some of the parks I detect in.. well except for actually being drunk that is. The only time I actually walk a straight line is when I've "gridding" a site.. otherwise I just kind of go with the flow. You know, that imaginary mental picture of how people might meander through the park or lounge around trees and what not. Kind of like the Texas Two Step only minus the Tequila. <snort> Although, I must say, that I don't put as much frenetic energy into my movements... why? Is there really a time limit for detecting? I mean those goodies have been under the ground for how long already????? <shrug> Besides, if I don't get them "this time", it simply means I can come back another day and enjoy searching some more. But then, I guess if you are in competition with someone, another detectorist with you at the time or whatever, yeah.. speed could be of the essence. Wouldn't want your buddy(ies) to find all the good stuff BEFORE you do would you now? <grin>
Anyway, Thanks for sharing! And here I thought I was going to get a Zen Moment from one of the masters.. <giggle>

Happy Hunting my friend.. and everyone else too..

Frodov

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
After reviewing the video, I'll continue to listen to every sound and go slow...... thanks but no thanks.

I'm now waiting for Kirk to chime in and criticize me, go ahead Kirk, criticize and ask about Stew.
CC

GeminiTattoo

Greenie
Oct 23, 2007
So there were no porta potties where you were MDing? Cause that looks like me when I 'gotta go' but I'm trying to get in just a few more mins....LOL

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Crocop said:
After reviewing the video, I'll continue to listen to every sound and go slow...... thanks but no thanks.

I'm now waiting for Kirk to chime in and criticize me, go ahead Kirk, criticize and ask about Stew.
CC

Does Stew swing an Explorer, too? I love you, crocop. ;) :-* I love you, man! :-* ;D

CC, you might want to go a little faster. Helk, it is working for Captn_SE. ;D

Bone Dry Detecting out of PA...Kyle out of the East Coast :D

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He's going at that speed because, as the narrator says, they are in an LA barrio! Gotta hurry up and get the heck out of there. I am amazed at the speed and efficiency of the technique.

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Born Free said:
He's going at that speed because, as the narrator says, they are in an LA barrio! Gotta hurry up and get the heck out of there. I am amazed at the speed and efficiency of the technique.

Efficiency? what's not being shown is the coins that were missed, common sense dictates, go slow, LISTEN to EVERY sound and then make a decision wheather or not to dig.
For me and the Explorer it's simple, sound, number ID, and or cross hairs.
Today I found my 80th silver coin for 2007, I also found 2 17xx coins and several hundred in clad, not to mention about 15 silver rings and another dozen or so silver medals.
I would seriously doubt I would have found all that going fast.

For me, detecting is like having sex....... I'm not in a hurry, I don't expect Kirk to understand, he's probably thinking about Stew.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
What you are all actually witnessing here is Dan SMELLING the silver in the ground. Notice how he moves from side to side like a hound dog on the scent trail of a felon. H&ll, I’m surprised he didn’t bark and stick his tongue out when he located the wheat. I think I need to contact your local police department and have them check your house for a meth lab as tweaked as you are in the video! :o

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Crocop said:
Born Free said:

Efficiency? what's not being shown is the coins that were missed, common sense dictates, go slow, LISTEN to EVERY sound and then make a decision wheather or not to dig.
Today I found my 80th silver coin for 2007, I also found 2 17xx coins and several hundred in clad, not to mention about 15 silver rings and another dozen or so silver medals.

For me, detecting is like having sex....... I'm not in a hurry, I don't expect Kirk to understand, he's probably thinking about Stew.

CC, Captn_SE and his buddies are experts with the Explorer, so they can still go fast and find over 600 wilvers for the year. :D ;D :D

Bone Dry Detecting

P.S. I, as well as many otha (other) tnetters, don't want to hear about your metal detecting sex life. :D ;D :D

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
zoyboy said:
Crocop said:
Born Free said:

CC, Captn_SE and his buddies are experts with the Explorer, so they can still go fast and find over 600 wilvers for the year. :D ;D :D

Bone Dry Detecting

P.S. I, as well as many otha (other) tnetters, don't want to hear about your metal detecting sex life. :D ;D :D

600 wilvers for the year? thats 50 a month. Are these totals one person or multiple people?

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Crocop said:
zoyboy said:
Crocop said:
Born Free said:

Bone Dry Detecting

600 wilvers for the year? thats 50 a month. Are these totals one person or multiple people?

Captn_SE has 622 wilvers for the year.

BDD

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hey Captn, no offense but 50 silvers a month is a lot for around here.
CC

Nortonics

Greenie
Nov 20, 2007
Hahahahahaha!

Give up the metal detecting and go for a career as a gigolo - you'll make tons more, and FAST!

Hahahahahaha!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Crocop, you need some SKILLS to go fast and still find the wilvers. My good bud, Dan, has them, so don't hate on him because he kicks a$$!

By the way, have you detected with Stew lately? :P :-* ;) :D

I love you, man. If I could, I would give you a big :-* on your metal detecting lips. :-* :-* :-* :D :D :D

Hurry up, you only need 542 more wilvers until you catch up to my good bud, Dan. ;) :D ;D

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirkcop :D

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Crocop said:
Born Free said:

<whispering> Crocop..I think you missed the joke.... shhhh

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. Dan. I am going to try a variation of your technique just so one of my boys in blue doesn't come by and spot me and try to put the ole Chief in the mental ward.

I am going to do the traditional grid north and south then east and west then diagonal. Only change I am going to make is to go to that high speed shuffle in the process.

One thing for sure. You are correct on stamina. I'm gonna need it but I can see that producting much more coinage.

Thanks for great video and you are living proof of whatever works for you, do it and stick to it.

You dah man!

DaChief

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Thanks, everyone, for the great responses. Yes, crocop, 622 for the year and still going. One month, I found over 100. All from park turf. I've had an amazing year; one that I will never be able to duplicate. Each time you dig a silver out of the ground, that one less you'll find next time. Diminishing returns. Our parks here in Los Angeles are vast. I've found the old silver in over 55 parks this year.

If you use my techniques, just remember: please don't hold me responsible for your strained muscles or injuries that may occur while md'ing. ;D :D Actually, we filmed this video at the end of a 9 hr. hunt. Just imagine how I was moving in the morning? ;D Well, I wasn't moving as fast as the video depicts the whole day.....I kind of sped it up a little while filming. I ended the day with 38 wheaties and 5 silvers, including a 1907 barber dime.

Happy Holidays,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions