Craigslist, Plat Maps and the People that Destroy them....

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've been wanting to start a collection of Minnesota plat maps so I decided to start searching eBay and craigslist every day with hope that I'd see a few for sale. The first ad that I saw a few days ago was for a "plat map holder" which I didn't need but what did catch my eye was the fact that the holder pictured was actually FULL of plat maps.

This is the photo from craigslist:

plat map stand 2.jpg

I immediately emailed this person and explained that I didn't really want the holder but I was curious if the maps were for sale.

This was the response I received: "We are only selling the holder. The maps have been destroyed because they were out of date." :BangHead: .... (The email was from a law firm)

I shot them a quick response back letting them know I was sorry to hear that... Oh well...

The next day I found someone selling a few plat books from the early to mid 1990's and I called him. He had 3 plat books and wanted $20 each for them... I knew it was a good deal but I offered to come pick them up for $50 and he kindly accepted... The next morning he called me back and said he could get 3 others if I was interested in them... I said sure and offered another $50 which he also accepted.... A few hours before I was able to come pick up the books (his schedule) he called once more and said he was throwing in 4 more at no extra charge because he wanted them to go to a good home. :hello2:

For $100 I bought 10 large plat books covering 6 Minnesota counties. :icon_thumright: I was a little surprised however to see that they were all loose because at some point the rings were taken off for ease of use.

But wait... there's more...

I had actually called the law firm back after changing my mind about the map holder... I picked it up about an hour before picking up the maps.. I think the guy felt bad about destroying the maps so he sold me the holder for $10 :)

Here's the holder in action with my newly acquired plat books. (a few wouldn't fit and are not pictured)

This couldn't have worked out better.

plat map stand 3.jpg

plat map stand 4.jpg

8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions