What's new

Crazy little button, I think?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
9,947
Reaction score
19,962
Golden Thread
3
Location
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this yesterday, I’m thoroughly confounded as to its use. Was it a button? The darker crusty side has some fancy around the edge, the other side has almost perfect, smooth silver wash.
No evidence of a shank.
WTH?
image.webp

image.webp


Thanks for looking :hello:
 
Upvote 16
Silver plated flat button. Popular during the late 1790's to about 1810.
Sounds about right, same spot I found my draped bust half cent….. but where is the shank? I see no evidence of it being there!
 
Silver plated flat button. Popular during the late 1790's to about 1810.
I now understand many of these buttons that we refer to as 'silver-plated' are actually Sheffield Plating. ''Sheffield plate was first applied to buttons and similar small items shortly after the invention of the process by Thomas Boulsover in 1743''
 
Cool and interesting finds. Congratulations!
 
The buttons like yours I have found have the shank soldered on. If the bond of the solder to the brass of the button breaks down, there would be little evidence that it was there, as I think is the case with yours.
 
This is a unique find for sure :)
 
Found this yesterday, I’m thoroughly confounded as to its use. Was it a button? The darker crusty side has some fancy around the edge, the other side has almost perfect, smooth silver wash.
No evidence of a shank.
WTH?
View attachment 2250698
View attachment 2250699

Thanks for looking :hello:
It looks great, but I have a wee bit of doubt on it being a button. But then again I am most likely wrong. Has anyone ever put a worn coin or button under either a short wave or long wave UV or black light?
 
It looks great, but I have a wee bit of doubt on it being a button. But then again I am most likely wrong. Has anyone ever put a worn coin or button under either a short wave or long wave UV or black light?
Sorry disagree, 100% its a button.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom