CRH for Winter 2008

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
It might be nice to have a running thread for those who are Coin Roll Hunting this winter. Post your ongoing finds here!

Being cooped up has definitely started taking it's toll on my Treasure State of Mind. I need that rush of finding some freakin' booty and I might just have to visit the Slipper if I don't get some Silver Booty soon.

Started up my CRH again last night with my first winter box of halves, and got completely skunked. I'm just looking for silver though and anything that looks like a proof. Looking for double die errors is just too timely for me. I'll be picking up $1k more every week so I'll keep you all updated.

EDIT: Actually my son was helping me unroll the coins and he must have misplaced one by his toys because this morning he brought another one over to me... and IT HAD A HOLE IN IT! This would be my first one with a hole in it. And out of the thousand we checked, it was the one that was misplaced too... crazy. I made him a little necklace with it so he's definitely happy!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud here is a link to the CRH section on tnet:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,224.0.html

Unless you just want to see what we pull, than list them here.

(Here is a copy of my CRH thread)
==========================================
My 21 skunk box run is over!!!! My gold N' 90% lot...

Well it fells good to pull some silver after a long skunk run. I got 2 boxes today, box 1 had all of the silver and box 2 just had the gold plated 1976 (the plate is wearing off but I like it so I'll keep it I guess). Here is my finds:

3104613727_525af06dd0_o.jpg

I thought it was wierd that there was no 40%'s, but I'm not complainin... ;D

This is my 2nd Walker and 5th Franklin so far. :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a box of pennies here at work. It had 13 wheaties.

1941 x 2
1941s
1945s
1952d
1953s
1954d
1955d
1956d
1957d

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Whoa, that's a long skunk run! Holy moley what have I got myself into?

Sweet WLH, Frankies and JFK! Interesting gold plated JFK too! Next box will keep 'em coming!

Well, here's to granny cashing in her grandfather's coin rolls of seated halves! :coffee2:

You must still be doing 2k/wk?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stepped up my CRH in last 2 weeks I went through 14 boxes!!!! LOL I was a CRH fool. I would of done 5 boxes today but one of my banks didn't order 2 of my boxes for me. They said they will get 4 on Tuesday and they are all mine. ;D The 5th box is still waitin for me at yet another bank, but I ran out of time today so I will get it on Monday. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
I thought those boxes of $500 come directly from the Federal Reserve, and if a bank has loose halves they just send them back to be counted and re-boxed. Sounds like a very inefficient system right? If the banks are telling you they are ordering boxes and you have to wait, then I doubt you are seeing coins from people in your area. I get those marked coins too, and I always see one that someone put red nail polish on, or wrote numbers on them. As far as I know there is only one other person in my area that ordered a box for her husband as an xmas present. I think he does CRH because there was one guy in the summer doing it as well.

Anyhoo.... trying to wake up to check the weather.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, they arn't from the FED. they are from brinks. All of the banks (Chicago land area) send in their loose change to get it recounted and re rolled by a third party company like loomis or brinks.... What would be even better is to dump them like in Milwaukee... LOL That would better shuffle the coins at brinks. It is on a large scale but eventually you will get your dumps back at some point in your CRH career. That's why people mark their dump coins, wait and see how many marked coins you come across. LOL

From what I gater the feds only step[ in and inject new coins into the system and not re-rolling old ones. If you look at the CRH section the most succesfull hunters go through $1,000's of dollars a week in an attempt at getting older boxes that have been at the bottom of the pile for years. They always get ungodly amounts of silver, but they work for it. So far I have gone through 36 boxes of halfs and only found 69 silvers. I need to push through more!!! :icon_pirat:

aunttrbl

Greenie
Dec 14, 2008
Oak Lawn Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Brett, The SLIPPER as in Ottawa? Almost went there Sat. but one heck of a drive. Was hub's b-day was going to take him but i didn't feel like the drive,oh well we will be there the after christmas.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
TreasureFiend said:
Nah, they arn't from the FED. they are from brinks. All of the banks (Chicago land area) send in their loose change to get it recounted and re rolled by a third party company like loomis or brinks.... What would be even better is to dump them like in Milwaukee... LOL That would better shuffle the coins at brinks. It is on a large scale but eventually you will get your dumps back at some point in your CRH career. That's why people mark their dump coins, wait and see how many marked coins you come across. LOL

From what I gater the feds only step[ in and inject new coins into the system and not re-rolling old ones. If you look at the CRH section the most succesfull hunters go through $1,000's of dollars a week in an attempt at getting older boxes that have been at the bottom of the pile for years. They always get ungodly amounts of silver, but they work for it. So far I have gone through 36 boxes of halfs and only found 69 silvers. I need to push through more!!! :icon_pirat:

Good info TF! I might have to go to a different banker to get up to those numbers. I think I remember visiting one bank in my network that told me they could not order the coins, but that my main bank could. That's going to suck if that's true. I'll find out more information this week.

aunttrbl said:
Brett, The SLIPPER as in Ottawa? Almost went there Sat. but one heck of a drive. Was hub's b-day was going to take him but i didn't feel like the drive,oh well we will be there the after christmas.

Yep, that's the one. Worth the drive! Have fun!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was expecting to pickup 6 boxes of half's from 3 of my banks, but 2 of them only ordered 1 box and the 3rd bank said that they will have them in on Tuesday... I have to say that I'm getting kinda tired of getting my hopes up only to find out that my orders are not getting filled properly. Oh well enough ranting. Out of my 2 boxes that actually made it in I found:

Half's box #1
1968d

Half's box #2
Skunker

So in an attempt to try and find some more silver I picked up 3 boxes of dimes. You might remember that I tried doing dimes last month and got 6 straight skunkers so I gave up on them. Today was a lot better.

Dime box #1
1958d
1964d x 3

Dime box #2
1952s
1964d

Dime box #3
Skunker

So today wasn't a total blowout, I am going to start doing dimes again when my banks don't get my orders right. Today's silver take was 3 40% half's and 8 dimes for a total of 1.0224oz.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Hey Fiend, I'd say you are doing great!

I have 2 boxes of halves to pick up today myself today. I don't know if I could endure a 21 box skunk, so I hope it yields me at least ONE silver coin.

I was thinking about what you said about Brinks re-rolling coins. If one had the money, you could just hang onto the boxes for a month and accumulate all of Brinks' recirculating coins. You would have to have a bunch being ordered quickly though or you may risk exposing the bottom of the stack for EVERYONE that's CRH'ing. It would be great to then DUMP these accumulated coins far away. Problem is for me, my bank is kind of a local deal... not a nationwide bank. Bah. I keep thinking about just switching to Chase bank.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Coin Roll hunting ?

How much does it cost to get a box of pennies ?
How much does it cost to get a box of Nickles ?
How much does it cost to get a box of dimes ?
How much does it cost to get a box of Quarters ?
How much does it cost to get a box of 1/2 dollars ?
How much does it cost to get Your bank to Re-Count and re-deposit ?
It has been so Long since I have done any CRHunting....Just could not remember.
If memory serves me right.It seems my bank started charging a fee,and it stopped beeing worth while 4 me :'(

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did 4 more dime boxes this morning, and here is my take:

1951s
1959d
1964d

and I found a 1962 Canadian dime. What is its silver content?

My last 2 days I have searched 7 dime boxes and have found a total of 15 U.S. silver dimes!!!!!

Here is a pix for all of you silver-fiends... ;D

3123415798_7f163bb0e2_o.jpg

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: When Coin Roll hunting ?

McEtrak said:
How much does it cost to get a box of pennies ?
How much does it cost to get a box of Nickles ?
How much does it cost to get a box of dimes ?
How much does it cost to get a box of Quarters ?
How much does it cost to get a box of 1/2 dollars ?
How much does it cost to get Your bank to Re-Count and re-deposit ?
It has been so Long since I have done any CRHunting....Just could not remember.
If memory serves me right.It seems my bank started charging a fee,and it stopped beeing worth while 4 me :'(
After I did a little research. (Found the Coin Roll Hunters-----{C.R.H. Forum}--------)
I feel silly that I had made that last Post..........,BUT....................For anyone else that was curious...,and had thought about trying it......................{Bored because It is too cold to MD,and can not chisel threw the ground ?)
I found the prices there.........[Except for Quarters]

So I thjought I would share the cost per roll of my (New Again) Hobby......Of "Coin Roll Hunting"
As follows:
(1) How much does it cost to get a box of pennies ?...........50 cents per roll X 50 Rolls= $25
(2) How much does it cost to get a box of Nickles ?...........$2 per roll X 50 Rolls ..........= $100
(3)How much does it cost to get a box of dimes ?............ $5 per roll X 50 rolls ...........= $250
(4)How much does it cost to get a box of Quarters ?......Do Not know.............................$???
(5)How much does it cost to get a box of 1/2 dollars ?.......$10 per Roll X 50 Rolls...........$500

(6)If memory serves me right.It seems my bank started charging a fee,and it stopped beeing worth while 4 me :'(
................................Just asked my [New Bank---That bought out my Old Bank]......................................
.......They don't remember charging a fee for counting deposited coins........[My BAD Memory?]
.....In the last 2 years I had to stop C.R.H. because of high Medical bills,and needed to budget every $.........
but got everything under control by this last June...........So much so that I was able ? To afford ?to buy a New E-Trac in Sept.......................
So........................
Those that want to take up a hobby with their kids or grand kids.............Can start them Coin Collecting,and Should be able to start them with $ 25 mem-wheaties ,or Maybe $100 to start a Nickle collection.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Kermit,

Those are great dime numbers! I'm surprised you're finding that many. When I worked in retail (for nine years!), I'd sort through all of the coin rolls every time they'd get chopped open. In all of my years there, I never found one silver dime. A couple quarters, and a lot of old nickles, but never any silver dimes. I'd say you're doing very well. Keep up the determination, I hope to hear of more silver soon.

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
So where do you get a better silver return, md'ing or CRH? Seems to me you're doing great at both Fiend!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Lowbatts said:
So where do you get a better silver return, md'ing or CRH? Seems to me you're doing great at both Fiend!

Tim is right- that looks like it might equal or surpass your dug silver dime total for the year. Who needs expensive detectors when you can just go to the damn bank and get them for nada? Man, have we been wasting our time??

BTW- Like-new White's M6 for sale, used for about seven months, a little dirty, but it comes with probe and I still have the box. I'll throw in a free Ace 250! I might consider a trade for a vehicle...it doesn't have to look nice, but it should get me to the bank! LOL.

Keep up the great work K-man.

Joe

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
I picked up two boxes of dimes today and each box produced one silver Rosie. The first box I went completely through, and I stood up and there on the couch was a roll of dimes that had fallen down between my legs. I opened it up and everything I could see was clad. I started pulling out chunks and dropping them into the bucket I had, and when I pushed out the last 15 dimes... out from behind the paper popped a silver edge! I instantly said, "SILVER!" I couldn't believe it was in the LAST 15 to be searched. It was a 1964-P. Then in the second box, the 5th to last roll had a silver in it, but I must have missed it looking at the edges. I was dropping them into the bucket from a stack in my fingers, one at a time... just to hear what they sound like (in case I visually missed one). Well I heard the difference in one and when I looked down it was a 1956-P staring back up at me. I was like, "What the?" I put it back in the roll and looked at the edge, it was so silver there was no way I could have missed it. I really don't know what happened there. I also got a 5 pence piece from 1990 in the mix. MUCH better than being skunked, that's for sure!

Congrats on your good fortune Fiend! Keep 'em coming!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:

Oh by far I get more silver CRH'ng!!!! I started in september and already found like 16.5oz of silver. I would rather MD though, I like finding old coins though and the occasional gold ring too... ;D

Brett said:
I picked up two boxes of dimes today and each box produced one silver Rosie. The first box I went completely through, and I stood up and there on the couch was a roll of dimes that had fallen down between my legs. I opened it up and everything I could see was clad. I started pulling out chunks and dropping them into the bucket I had, and when I pushed out the last 15 dimes... out from behind the paper popped a silver edge! I instantly said, "SILVER!" I couldn't believe it was in the LAST 15 to be searched. It was a 1964-P. Then in the second box, the 5th to last roll had a silver in it, but I must have missed it looking at the edges. I was dropping them into the bucket from a stack in my fingers, one at a time... just to hear what they sound like (in case I visually missed one). Well I heard the difference in one and when I looked down it was a 1956-P staring back up at me. I was like, "What the?" I put it back in the roll and looked at the edge, it was so silver there was no way I could have missed it. I really don't know what happened there. I also got a 5 pence piece from 1990 in the mix. MUCH better than being skunked, that's for sure!

Congrats on your good fortune Fiend! Keep 'em coming!

That's awesome bud!!! I just edge hunt for dimes, I probably missed some but it would take forever going coin by coin... ;D I also found a 1992 5 (or 10) Pence coin, that one stood out as it is a thick as 2 dimes with a silver-looking edge. I like doing dime because they are a whole lot easier to get from the banks compaired to half's and I can plow through a box in about half an hour.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread