Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 2 boxes this morning to do before I go to my day job at 11am. Box 1= 1 silver and box 2= 10 silver + 1 copper cinco centavos. I did these in my car so I could just go straight to work. I'm gonna do at least 2 more boxes after work!!!! At this rate I will get a roll for face value!!! :icon_pirat:

Coins found before work:
1947d
1952d
1958d
1962d
1963d x 3
1964 x 2
1964d

1975 Cinco Centavos (Mexico)

Coins found after work:
1957d
1964d

Attachments

• IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 375
OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Wow! You are doing GREAT with those dimes!!! I think I'm going to have to start doing dimes more often myself. I certainly will be checking out quarters as well. Nickels will be harder to hunt quickly, but could also be good. At this rate you will have a couple hundred of them before winter ends. Hopefully you find some Mercs soon! How cool would that be to find a Barber dime!! :) I know you are looking for one.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 374

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Man, I am astounded you have found so many silver dimes. Nice work! If only I can find a silver Roosevelt metal detecting- I only found one so far this year! That's pathetic. Maybe I should get back to CRH...we'll see.

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-Mas Silva!!!

I had the family thing yesterday so this morning I went through my 2 dime boxes.
I found 2 dimes in each box. Also I foud a non-silver 1/2 Frank.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 360

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Man, you are a machine with that CRH'ing! Sounds like you're having a blast. Keep on posting your silver finds! Some of us like seeing them almost as much as you do!

Joe

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Dang TreasureFiend, you are cleaning house over there.

So I opened an account with 5th/3rd Bank just to do CRH at more places. They have a coin counter accessible to customers, but it's 10% fee if you do not have an account. I went through the whole shabang getting an account set up, and THEN they told me it was $2.50 per box (of whatever). But since she didn't tell me that before I drove to my bank to get some money, she waved the fee. Well I got skunked on the box of dimes and the box of quarters that I bought there, but the interesting thing is they were Brinks rolls. I've never seen those before then, and what's cool is they have clear plastic wrappers on them. So you don't need to even open them to see the silver! I think I figured out TF's secret there... I was thinking how could he go through 2 boxes of dimes in his car before work. This definitely makes things easier.

I ended up gifting a box of halves and a box of dimes to my Brother and Dad. They had a good time going through them and each made some finds. I'll let them post about it when they get time. Hopefully I pulled two more CRH'ers into the mix.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that sucks that they charge by the box!!!! Go to another 5/3 and see if they charge per box as it might be at that location only. I have Chase and I was thinking of getting a 5/3 account, but if they charge a fee then hell no. Oh my rolls are paper, I just go through them in my car!!!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Holy crap! That's a lot of work going through two boxes in your car. So how many dimes are down under your seats? Hahaha.

Yeah $2.50 a box is just insane. Initially they told me a business account had to pay $2.50, but personal acct.'s did not have a fee. That seems ass backwards to me, but then they switched it up and said they all have a fee. Yeah I'll try a different location and hopefully I won't have a problem.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 60dimes.jpg
    60dimes.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 335

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More, this batch put me over 1 roll of CRH silver dimes!!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 334

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Kermit,

Just sell me your SE. You'll have more money to use for CRHing! I mean, do you really need the detector?? :wink:

lol, congratulations on the silver, man.

Joe

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
That's amazing TF! What's even more amazing is no Mercs yet.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Brett said:
That's amazing TF! What's even more amazing is no Mercs yet.

Probably no mercs because those pop out to most people, the same people who probably don't realize that a 1964 dime contains the same amount of silver as a merc and would never look twice at it.

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just went through my first box of quarters... No silver what so ever & no foreign coins either. :tard:
It had:

11 bicentennials
951 clad quarters
1,038 state quarters

I hate the state quarters, I bet it was a whole lot easier to find silver back before they were around. Now more than half the box is the new crap... >:(

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
TF, are you referring to the fact that some state quarters have a "silver" looking edge... i.e. devoid of copper tone?

My first box of quarters was recently and I was skunked as well... but I saw ONE coin that looked like silver. When I looked at the face, it was a 2001 state quarter. I was so let down.

I'd stick to dimes if I were you :)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 4 boxes this morning, 2 of them were skunks. :thumbsup:
My first Merc's CRH'ng are 1944p & 1945p

Attachments

• IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 296
OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
There's those Freddies! Congrats on your first CRH'd Merc's TF!

So what do you tell these banks when they ask you what you are doing with these boxes of coins? I've just been telling them they are xmas presents for my coin collecting family... that they can look through them for interesting ones, or dates and mint marks that they need. That seems to shut them up.

I'm thinking I might mix it up now that xmas is over and tell them I'm building a $100,000 coin sculpture, like they did at the Columbian Exposition in 1893 :)
fai9_133-2.jpg

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tell them that I'm looking for certain years for my collection. I heard that if you tell them it for a business then they will more than likely charge you a fee. At first my banks tried to catch me in a lie, meaning they would always ask what kinda business do I own (even though I already told them several time that I am just looking for coins for my collection). Eventually they got with the program, and to further smooth things over, for Xmas I bought chocolates for my bank girls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread