Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
This has gone on for years, usually it comes on suddenly and is quite painful. The doctor diagnosed as a muscle spasm (if I remember correctly) and the chiropracter put me through adjustments, massaging the muscles and some sort of electroshock therapy. I am just getting over it again. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I have that problem from time to time as well. Most muscle spasms in the neck are due to stress. Massages are definitely helpful. I use heat. The shock thing was probably a TENS unit...not sure how helpful that would be for you. Take a sock, fill it with rice, and throw in the microwave. Instant heat pack and easily renewable. I use aleve, that is a better long term medicine then Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen can tear your stomach up. The generic for aleve is sodium naproxen. You can find it cheap at any pharmacy or grocery market. Try it...works well.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, I have that problem from time to time as well. Most muscle spasms in the neck are due to stress. Massages are definitely helpful. I use heat. The shock thing was probably a TENS unit...not sure how helpful that would be for you. Take a sock, fill it with rice, and throw in the microwave. Instant heat pack and easily renewable. I use aleve, that is a better long term medicine then Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen can tear your stomach up. The generic for aleve is sodium naproxen. You can find it cheap at any pharmacy or grocery market. Try it...works well.

I don't think the shock thing helped at all. When you say stress do you mean stressing the muscle or stress as in stressed out? I appreciate the heads up on the ibuprofen . I will try your suggestion.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naproxen has the same GI side effects as do all NSAIDS. Just remember to eat something before taking them. Recent studies have also shown a slight increase of CV problems associated with their use.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naproxen has the same GI side effects as do all NSAIDS. Just remember to eat something before taking them. Recent studies have also shown a slight increase of CV problems associated with their use.

That's not good..that's why I am a bit fearful of the anri- inflammatorys. .wish there was something else. ..

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Barb,

I was on some major meds for infection, etc....about 10 years back and messed up my stomach pretty bad....
I started having plain yoghurt every morning and it cleared up....something worth considering.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think the shock thing helped at all. When you say stress do you mean stressing the muscle or stress as in stressed out? I appreciate the heads up on the ibuprofen . I will try your suggestion.

I mean stress as in stressed out. Stressing a muscle would make you sore due to lactic acid build up but if you tear a muscle you will know. Everybody has "trigger points" where the muslces connect with each other via tendons. When we are under stress we have a tendency to "tense up." Those points can easily become tender and cause direct and referred pain. You may have heard your chiropractor refer to them as "nodes" or "knots."

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

This is true; but it depends on which study you read. I don't know what to believe there is so much conflicting information. For me...aleve works better.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not good..that's why I am a bit fearful of the anri- inflammatorys. .wish there was something else. ..

Capt-zero is talking about the long term effects of taking NSAIDS every day. If you use them only as needed then you should be fine. The CV problems are debated but there does seem to be a correlation of some sort. Just take them prior to feeding, do the other suggestions, and stop when the tendonitis goes down.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capt-zero is talking about the long term effects of taking NSAIDS every day. If you use them only as needed then you should be fine. The CV problems are debated but there does seem to be a correlation of some sort. Just take them prior to feeding, do the other suggestions, and stop when the tendonitis goes down.

Ok my friend!:):):)

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The study I was referring to was one that just came out yesterday. I do not know the name of it; it was reported on the BBC morning news. It did refer to treatments of thousands of arthritis patients over a long period using of large amounts of Ibuprophen (over 1000 milligrams a day) for treatment of chronic pain. The reported CV effects were related to 3 in every one thousand patients. The news report did not specify what CV effects were being experienced. Occasional use for acute pain should not be a problem.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Question..I seem to be experiencing some tendinitis below my right thumb, down into my hand..I think it's the result of MD and syringe feeding wildlife!
Anybody ever experienced this and if so what helped?
Thanks,
Barb

From my factory rat days it does not sound like carpal tunnel. My repeated injury of right to where making a fist is painful,makes the left gets used alot.
Originally out of relieving right in repetitious work and impact tools,(should i mention punching things harder than my hand without gloves on?) now out of necessity. While a brace was used for wrist,when it hurt to much to raise thumb(feeling like attaching joint took a hammer blow) a compression wrap putting tension on base, hard to get right,looser at wrist, helped. Maybe try using left more to increase muscle memory in an attempt to relieve right.(save it for squirrel wrasslin/wrangling!.) Study effects on organs by pain relievers,short and long term. Thumbs are great but could wood rustling could be done with less dependence on them to reduce clamping force?.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I mean stress as in stressed out. Stressing a muscle would make you sore due to lactic acid build up but if you tear a muscle you will know. Everybody has "trigger points" where the muslces connect with each other via tendons. When we are under stress we have a tendency to "tense up." Those points can easily become tender and cause direct and referred pain. You may have heard your chiropractor refer to them as "nodes" or "knots."

Yes I remember them speaking of knots, and I am always stressed out. Most I know say I am ocd. Always worried about something.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my factory rat days it does not sound like carpal tunnel. My repeated injury of right to where making a fist is painful,makes the left gets used alot.
Originally out of relieving right in repetitious work and impact tools,(should i mention punching things harder than my hand without gloves on?) now out of necessity. While a brace was used for wrist,when it hurt to much to raise thumb(feeling like attaching joint took a hammer blow) a compression wrap putting tension on base, hard to get right,looser at wrist, helped. Maybe try using left more to increase muscle memory in an attempt to relieve right.(save it for squirrel wrasslin/wrangling!.) Study effects on organs by pain relievers,short and long term. Thumbs are great but could wood rustling could be done with less dependence on them to reduce clamping force?.

Thanks RC for the info..I tried a thumb, hand brace but the metal support in it put pressure on the most painful area for sure..the placing of heavy wood in the wood stove has contributed. .
I also remembered pulling on something that gave way, thus I smacked it hard in that area as well.:eek:
I am going to give it a little time and try to use other hand..except of course for the wildlife. .:D

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to stress and worry about my patients. If I didn't, I would be a pretty lousy doctor. The key is to set boundaries and leave it at work. Hard to do; however, something I plan on mastering the day before I retire. I agree with what Bill and Chris say; however, for those of us on the front line...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have always been a worrier. I expect the worst to happen and then I am quite happy when everything turns out fine. It's not so much stress from work but rather a combination of everything. I find tnet helps to relax me though.:occasion14:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diesel,

There's a book out there called "Don't stress the small stuff....It's all small stuff" or some such...It'll help you put all the chicken **** stuff we put up with in perspective.....track down a copy and read it or I'll kick your butt....lol....

Regards + HH

Bill

I have always been a worrier. I expect the worst to happen and then I am quite happy when everything turns out fine. It's not so much stress from work but rather a combination of everything. I find tnet helps to relax me though.:occasion14:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Chris,

I agree if you can't control the situation don't stress out over is.....just not worth the grief....

ps to Diesel.....watch the song and relax dude....

Excellent choice as usual Bill! The video was a riot to watch! I liked the part with the guy reading the financial paper and looking fear stricken!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread